weight loss with PCOS

Options
Hello everybody,
My name is Savannah, i am 26 i found out about 3 years ago that i have PCOS. i have been big my whole life and everytime i start a diet i will lose some weight then gain it back and then some. i am at my wits end i am seriously ready to get this weight off and keep it off. My current Goal is to lose 175 pounds, if any body else has any kind of similar issues and offer support or advice. I would be ever soo GREATLY appreciated. Thank you! feel free to Friend me!

Replies

• klkoontz
    klkoontz Posts: 9
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 14 years old. I have always been on the heavyish side growing up. I have done almost every type of diet imaginable: South Beach, Atkins, Gluten free, etc. Yes the weight will come off quickly with those but I always gained it all back as soon as I started eating normally. The only thing I have tried that has worked for me is counting calories. Keeping under or at my goal each day. It's slow, but it seems to be working. At this point, I have mostly only changed my eating habits because I HATE to exercise. I quit drinking soda and I quit eating so much fast food (yes occasionally I still have it but I make sure to log it and adjust my meals for the rest of the day).
  • sachimene
    sachimene Posts: 7
    Options
    i agree im not a big fan of exercise either. i drink water most of the time, bit it gets boring after a while lol. when i was younger i stayed out side from dusk to dawn and was always doing something from swimming to skating to horseback riding you name it outside thats where we were and all the kids i hung out with stayed small and fit except me, big bummer lol but im really ready to do what ever it takes to get this weight off. i want a baby so bad. and i want to be able to shop at every store not just plus size stores. it looks like you are on the right track. 18 pounds that is awesome!!! you go girl, you've got this! just keep pushing forward. i have found that DDR (dance dance revaloution) games for the playstation are very fun and you dont even realize your working out.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've lost 45 pounds with PCOS. You need to do cardio AND strength training since one is not enough. You should work out at least 4 days a week with a combination of the two. You will only get so far with diet alone. You will find people are torn between going low carb and eating regularly and that's really up to you. Cutting carbs will lead to a faster weight loss but it might be harder to maintain. Personally, I eat a normal diet and just try to cut out foods with a ton of sugar (except for the occasional treat!). Be prepared for plateaus and don't let them discourage you. You can add me if you'd like!

I'd also like to mention that you should take classes at a gym. They are quite fun and motivational.
  • sachimene
    Options
    Thank you, that was very helpful.and I will look into that.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I second trying strength training but also find an exercise you enjoy (like DDR) as rregular exercise helps our bodies regulate sugars better.
    I have had the most success 'dieting' via MFP. I set a reasonable deficit, ate back half my exercise calories (or banked them for a splurge) and went with a reduced crab plan. I usually get about 27% cals from carbs, 37% protein, and the rest from fat.
    I get most of my carbs from fruit, vegs, and dairy but i do splurge on grains or sweets in small quantities (I honestly don't miss grains most of the time) My diary is open if you want to peak. I had less weight to lose up front and I am short so my calorie goals are lower than anything you would need to do for a reasonable loss
  • kethry70
    Options
    The following list of great threads to read is courtesy of user GraceIsJinxed who is awesomeness:

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Excuses??? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/06/02/the-no-excuses-play-like-a-champion-challenge/

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have had the most success 'dieting' via MFP. I set a reasonable deficit, ate back half my exercise calories (or banked them for a splurge) and went with a reduced crab plan.

OH GOD BUT I LOVE MY CRABS.
  • kethry70
    Options
    I have had the most success 'dieting' via MFP. I set a reasonable deficit, ate back half my exercise calories (or banked them for a splurge) and went with a reduced crab plan.

OH GOD BUT I LOVE MY CRABS.

:noway:
    Bwahahahahahahaha! and its too late to edit

Reduced CARB - eat all the crabs :wink:
  • daisy019
    daisy019 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you on for a day? And what is PCOS, I never heard of that, would you be kind enough to let me know
    what it is.
  • kethry70
    Options
    How many calories are you on for a day? And what is PCOS, I never heard of that, would you be kind enough to let me know
    what it is.

PCOS- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It is a hormonal imbalance that manifests with high testosterone -> increased estrogen -> insulin resistance. Major risk factor for Type 2 diabetes and the most common cause of female infertility. Myriad of symptoms including easier weight gain and difficulty losing weight. At least one small study suggests that women with PCOs may even have slightly lower metabolisms than the norm
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    what it is.

PCOS stands for PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome. It comes about when a woman's hormones are out of whack, causing her mature eggs to NOT be released from a follicle, resulting in a cyst on the ovary (each time). Women affected with PCOS tend to gain weight faster, lose weight slower, deal with some irritating side effects (like hair in places there shouldn't be hair, and irregular periods, etc). We also tend to have some insulin resistance, and may be more likely to develop diabetes down the road.
  • daisy019
    Options
    Thank you for the information, but you didn't say how many calories your are on.
  • kethry70
    Options
    Thank you for the information, but you didn't say how many calories your are on.

I'm not the original poster so I didnt answer that question
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Well, caloric intake is very personal to the person. For instance, my caloric needs as a 318 lb, 27 year old woman would vary greatly from a 77 year old. So what works for me, may not (most likely will not) work for you.
  • sachimene
    Options
    Sorry, I haven't responded yet. According to this I am set for a 2850 calories in take. But I weigh quite a bit.
  • sachimene
    Options
    Thank you very much I will definitely have to look into them.
  • daisy019
    Options
    I'm sorry if I asked a question I shouldn't have. According to MFP I should be on 1200 calories. I just can't stay at that count.
    I am trying to stay at 1500. I am 225 and 77 years old. All the other sights I've looked at said I should be on 1500 to lose
    weight.
  • Effalunt
    Effalunt Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and was miserable on the medications from my regular family doctor. I started seeing a naturopath in December 2013 and have made some lifestyle changes based on her advice. I only take the supplements (2) she recommended for me and will be transitioning off those soon as they have done what they were meant to.

Long story short: I finally feel like myself again. Many of my symptoms have subsided, including the pain, and I am starting to lose weight steadily with MFP. As the naturopath said, the pharmaceuticals like birth control pills many women are prescribed for PCOS only treat the symptoms and not the cause. Now that I am treating the cause of my PCOS, I feel like my whole life has changed.
  • sachimene
    Options
    It's ok. Hmm maybe your personal doctor would be better to set you a calories goal because im sure this is all statistics on here. I have recently realized that I am a bored eater I don't eat that much in general I mostly eat when I am bored.
  • sachimene
    Options
    Oh that's great to hear. I haven't seen my doctor in about a year and a half, but I know that I can't take medicine with hormones in them because they have caused blood clots in my legs. But it is awesome to hear that you are feeling a lot better, I am hoping that losing the weight will help me to feel better