Fun stuff to do in the Raleigh NC area?

iwannawearatutu
iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
My sweetie and I will be visiting my MIL and GMIL in a couple of weeks in their new home in North Carolina, a bit south of Raleigh. Anyone familiar with the area have some sites to see to suggest? Especially interested in free, offbeat, and or a little outdoorsy. The weather there is so nice (compared to where we are, anyhow) that we'd love to get outside and do a little walking, get a bit of exercise. Nothing super athletic, but a good walk would be great!

P.S. If by any chance any geocachers see this post, we're hoping to do some geocaching down there - tips on some good geocaches to visit would be great too!

Replies

• mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Hopefully it will be nice weather when you get here but it is certainly cold and snowy today! Plan on bringing a coat!

We live in the Greensboro area about an hour and a half drive from Raleigh. I hope you can find some fun things to do while you are in NC and enjoy your visit.
  • iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Hopefully it will be nice weather when you get here but it is certainly cold and snowy today! Plan on bringing a coat!

We live in the Greensboro area about an hour and a half drive from Raleigh. I hope you can find some fun things to do while you are in NC and enjoy your visit.

Yeah, I just checked the weather and it's exactly the same here and in Raleigh, except we aren't getting snow. But overall the highs down there get much better than up here this time of year. For us this is somewhat balmy weather! :)

I plan to keep a sharp eye on the weather forecast as our trip gets closer, but if it's anything like the expected weather for NC this weekend, I think our New England selves will be quite happy in just sweaters! :) Anything in the 40s is downright tropical, for January. :D
  • There is a great walking path that goes from the museum to one of the colleges there (Meredith? St Mary's?) When I visit my mom, we will go there to walk. It will have ups and downs, there is a little art on the way, and even a cool hut/dome slightly off path that you can go and explore.

I realize it isn't "fun", but it is a good path! There is a zipline in Boone you could drive to in a couple of hours.
  • charly1r
    charly1r Posts: 1 Member
    I was going to suggest the Flying Saucer Downtown Raleigh(but that wouldn't be healthy, right? lol)
This discussion has been closed.