Beginning to exercise again.

Options
I am just wondering what a good way to start exercising is? I hear walking is a great way to start but walking does not make me feel satisfied or proud of my workout. I am going to the gym later today for the first time in months and am wondering just how hard to push myself. If anyone knows a great beginning workout routine, i would love to hear about it!

thanks!

Replies

• wendiwen123
    wendiwen123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I have found success in finding what makes me move. I enjoy walking and I just purchased Sketchers Shape-ups and they definitely make me feel like I have exercised. I also LOVE to dance so I try to do that as well. When I belonged the a gym a while back, I found taking classes worked for me to stay motivated. The trick is to find something you enjoy doing.
    Push yourself just enough, but don't kill yourself. Its a process :P
    Good luck!
  • CarolH76
    Options
    I've never, EVER, stuck with any exercise routine until now - I love Jazzercise. I'm not sure if the offer it everywhere, but it's so much fun. I also never considered myself to be a "class" kind of person - I used to prefer to work out alone, but that's where I think I fail so easily.

Good luck - find something FUN to do!
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're at the level I was, but when I started, I was completely sedentary and could barely climb two flights of stairs without getting winded.

At my heaviest, I'd ride a stationary bike for 10 minutes per day, every day. (Believe me, I was so unhealthy that even 10 minutes was a workout!) On Saturdays I would add another minute; so the second week I'd ride 11 minutes a day, the third week 12 minutes a day, and so on.

I would also do beginner's strength training twice a week, at first without weights, then gradually with soup cans, and finally I graduated to dumbbells. This is the routine I used: http://exercise.about.com/cs/exbeginners/l/blbegstrength.htm

I think the key is to start small and work your way up gradually. I was so out of shape that even small victories still made my body ache (that good ache that makes you know you actually did a real workout! :happy: ).

Good luck!
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Try the couch to 5km program. It's an iphone app (not sure what other phones you can use it on). It will gradually build you up to running 5km (or 3.1 miles) in about 3 months.

The first session is just under 30 minutes and includes 8 minutes of running/jogging.
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Congrats on heading back to the gym!!
    If you enjoy walking but want more of a challenge just up the incline on the treadmill, like walking uphill. Also try your best not to hold onto the treadmill. Another great beginner cardio machine is the elliptical trainer. You can get your heartrate up pretty good without all the impact of running.
    Have a great workout :flowerforyou:
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Does your gym offer classes? If so, you might try a few. I have found that I learn things (form/technic, new excercises, etc), they push me harder than I would push myself, and can be fun. I've met a bunch of new friends this year too and it keeps me accountable.

Sometimes I just do 20-30 min on an eliptical and/or bike to warm up and get a little cardio, then another 20-30 of various weight machines and hand weights, then do a little stretching at the end. For me that is a nice well-rounded full body workout. I get bored easy so I try to vary things. Like watch someone else on a machine i've never used then go try it. Be sure to start with light weight and more reps until you get better conditioned. Have fun!