Addicted to cardio!

Options
MrsC1st
MrsC1st Posts: 45 Member
Is it possible to workout too much or too long? I think the amount of exercise a person does should be based on what their comfortable with doing. My friend told me that I workout too long and hard. I believe each individual has different goals and timeframes set, so I believe in the old saying "To Each His Own". We all have to do what works best for the individual person, because there really isn't a one set approach; when it comes to shedding pounds. What do you think about this subject?

Replies

• Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    To each his own is good as is mind your own business (in regards to your friends comment). Just don't overdo it and burn yourself out
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    It's entirely possible, I made myself quite sick by working out too much. It wasn't just clocking up a lot of hours, it was also doing very high intensity workouts back to back with cardio, and not giving myself enough rest. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It is possible to work out too much and too long. Without knowing what you're doing it is impossible for random people on the internet to know if you or your friend is correct.
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I despise cardio-- i am addicted to not doing it.
  • EmmaNilsson77
    EmmaNilsson77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Overtraining is definitely a possibility. Look up the symptoms, keep them in your head, and pay attention to your body. If you're doing alright, there's no reason I can think of not to exercise as much as you want to. Just make sure you're eating enough for it.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    How long do you workout?
  • MrsC1st
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies to this question, as I'm new to exercising and could use all of the advise I could get. I use the elliptical machine for one hour and thirty minutes, stationary bike for one hour, and treadmill for one hour, seven days a week. I eat fourteen hundred and fifty to fifteen hundred calories on most days; on occasion I may go a little over by one hundred to two hundred calories. I don't believe in dieting, but I believe in everything in moderation and I try to choose healthier food options. I'm 5'4 and 192 pounds. Please keep the advice coming.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies to this question, as I'm new to exercising and could use all of the advise I could get. I use the elliptical machine for one hour and thirty minutes, stationary bike for one hour, and treadmill for one hour, seven days a week. I eat fourteen hundred and fifty to fifteen hundred calories on most days; on occasion I may go a little over by one hundred to two hundred calories. I don't believe in dieting, but I believe in everything in moderation and I try to choose healthier food options. I'm 5'4 and 192 pounds. Please keep the advice coming.

Seeing that just leaves me with one word ....

Why?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    if you believe in moderation I would take that into your workouts as well. There is no need to do cardio for 3.5 hrs per day. What is your goal???? You must have other things in your life? Job? Family? Hobby?
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options

:noway: wow!
    You don't need to overkill the cardio. :/
    Your body needs at least ONE or even TWO days to rest?
  • LanceKarcher
    LanceKarcher Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Unbelievable.
  • MrsC1st
    Options
    Overtraining is definitely a possibility. Look up the symptoms, keep them in your head, and pay attention to your body. If you're doing alright, there's no reason I can think of not to exercise as much as you want to. Just make sure you're eating enough for it.

Thanks
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm actually similar ... I do an hour of elliptical pretty much every day. I've discovered Zumba and am loving that, doing it for an hour each morning. I'll also throw in a little treadmill, sometimes stationary bike as well. I also do a full body weight workout twice a week.

For me, yes, I love the exercise and the endorphins. I actually feel more tired if I don't work out. I also like to eat ... I struggle to keep calories around 2000 (my estimated burn for the day is often around 3000). Still, sometimes I'm not having much of a deficit at weeks end. I haven't been losing much lately, maintaining for a few months now. Not quite at goal but close (5'6" and 150 pounds). At least not in the "overweight" category anymore.

I guess some of it would depend on why you are doing it, are you enjoying it, and what intensity. I personally am more quantity than quality I know. I'm not "leisurely" when on the elliptical, I am working up a sweat. The bike ... that is pretty low intensity for me, it's my excuse to read my book and not feel guilty about it. My elliptical time is my TV time, it's the only time I watch. Zumba I completely enjoy (but I do really try to keep my heart rate up). Jogging ... that is only for a workout.

I would suggest getting some weights into your workout too. It is as important as cardio! Enjoy the exercise but stay in tune with your body's needs, and do take a rest day every now and again (I have to remind myself to do that too.)
  • MrsC1st
    Options
    Unbelievable.

Shrugs, I was told that if you don't know something ask someone, so i guess now I know better lol
  • MrsC1st
    Options

:noway: wow!
    You don't need to overkill the cardio. :/
    Your body needs at least ONE or even TWO days to rest?

Hey, thanks for the advice. I'll consider taking at least one day off, maybe a Sunday.
  • MrsC1st
    Options
    if you believe in moderation I would take that into your workouts as well. There is no need to do cardio for 3.5 hrs per day. What is your goal???? You must have other things in your life? Job? Family? Hobby?

When I spoke of moderation I was talking about my caloric intake. I recently started exercising, so I didn't know any better. lol
    I guess I'll be cutting back now. I'm a stay at home mom, married twelve years, and my hobbies are reading/working out.
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options

When I spoke of moderation I was talking about my caloric intake. I recently started exercising, so I didn't know any better. lol
    I guess I'll be cutting back now. I'm a stay at home mom, married twelve years, and my hobbies are reading/working out.

It's fine to have that as your hobby but just decrease it a bit and take a day or two off.......and maybe add in some lifts
    Lifting is amazing and addicting also. Does wonders to the body :flowerforyou:

Good luck!
  • MrsC1st
    Options
    To each his own is good as is mind your own business (in regards to your friends comment). Just don't overdo it and burn yourself out

Thanks for the info
  • MrsC1st
    Options
    It's entirely possible, I made myself quite sick by working out too much. It wasn't just clocking up a lot of hours, it was also doing very high intensity workouts back to back with cardio, and not giving myself enough rest. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

My husband has been concerned about the dangers of over doing it. Thanks for sharing
  • MrsC1st
    Options

Seeing that just leaves me with one word ....

Why?

I had no idea of how much exercise I should be doing, so I'm glad to have a place to ask questions and get good advice.