That's discouraging.

Options
124»

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I read a whole bunch of stuff about how hanging on while on the treadmill can not only reduce the effectiveness of your workout, it also messes up body alignment, particularly hips and can cause you a mischief.

Not saying any of it is peer reviewed, but there is a fair bit of info out there which says stuff along the same lines. I used to be a "hanger" too. But now I don't have a gym membership so it's beside the point for me :)
  • wombat319
    wombat319 Posts: 14
    Options
    I've found through the years that when my weight suddenly goes up and I've been "good," that it drops tremendously in the next day or two. Patience!
  • wombat319
    wombat319 Posts: 14
    Options
    First, I LOVE Your picture, LOL! Some of us who are older, bigger and have almost completely lost our balance HAVE TO hang on until we get back in shape. I try to NOT hang on until I know if I don't I might fall...and then I hang on until I can regain my balance. Just another perspective.
  • BecomingShane
    BecomingShane Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I read a whole bunch of stuff about how hanging on while on the treadmill can not only reduce the effectiveness of your workout, it also messes up body alignment, particularly hips and can cause you a mischief.

Not saying any of it is peer reviewed, but there is a fair bit of info out there which says stuff along the same lines. I used to be a "hanger" too. But now I don't have a gym membership so it's beside the point for me :)

Aha! It's nice to feel like I have found a real problem to solve. Hopefully now my calories earned on a treadmill will be more accurate. Granted, I'll get less, but hell, it's not like I need them. I'm closing my diary with 555 to spare and that's almost a hundred more than I "thought" I burned!
  • BecomingShane
    Options
    Blurb
  • Deb23455
    Deb23455 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used to hold on All the time. Now I am working back up on the incline but since I use the Fitbit it doesn't recognize the elevation thing.
    What I noticed about your initial post was that you said you were regularly hundreds of calories below--that could lead to starvation mode. That's where your body conserves its energy, so a couple days a week you might need to be closer to even--You know-mix it up.
  • BecomingShane
    Options
    Well, seeing as I was recording my gym calories inaccurately it's very possible I could have gone over or been much closer to even at least on the days I went to the gym. So there's that, anyway :]. I don't feel hungry most of the time though, and sometimes I have trouble finding enough food to even it out, or I just get absorbed in things and forget to eat because I've vacated the house of everything remotely good tasting. I never thought eating could be such a pain in the *kitten*.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I believe you stated that you eat only 1200 cal a dy if so you need to increase it even if only by a littles, and do not weight yourself as much, maybe cut it down to once a month so you do not become obsessed with the numbers.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! I know i would have to hold on if I didn't an incline over 6.0 and sometimes that's a challenge.

I would say take the incline down some and get those arms moving to break a serious sweat. You may be surprised at the difference. Get that whole body in motion as much as you can.

Thank you! I'll definitely work on finding a comfortable speed/incline that I can work with without holding on. The hard part is going to be explaining to my boyfriend why I've actually lowered my workload... but I guess, technically, raised it.

I used to crank up the incline on my treadmill to 12 because the reported calorie burns on the treadmill computer were amazing. But I was also holding on the whole time. When I got an HRM, I was shocked to discover that I wasn't burning nearly as many calories as the treadmill said I was. It turned to out to be far better to lower the incline way down, not hold on at all and pump my arms.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. Took me 3 weeks for the weight to start coming off. Then it was about a pound a week so it will happen eventually. Great intensity on the treadmill. Keep it up and mix it up to keep your body guessing. Holding on is fine...gives your arms a workout too.

Nice logging--that's a good first step. Next, get a digital food scale and weigh your foods for true accuracy. I bought one at Walmart for $18 and it serves me well.

Protein is your friend so seek out every possible source. I like energy bars with at least 9-10g per serving. Just watch the fat and carbs in them. There are lots of tasty protein sources. Tilapia filets, Tuna and multigrain crackers, grilled chicken breast, lean ground beef and chili beans in homemade chili, protein smoothies (PB and chocolate whey protein and yogurt, mmm...), low fat cheeses like mozzarella and jarlsburg Swiss, Greek yogurt , even some cereals. My favorite protein powder is Designer Whey--no gritty taste and good flavor. I use double chocolate for my Reese's smoothies and French vanilla for fruit smoothies.

Pack your lunches. Pack premeasured snacks. Take water and healthy beverages everywhere you go. The more you are in control of your foods, the more success you'll have.

PS-- love your kitty. He's cute :smile:
  • BecomingShane
    Options
    Aright, today I went at 7.0 incline and 3.0 mph speed with spurts of 6-7 mph and burned 300 in 40 minutes. Even to me, that feels more realistic. Thanks to everyone who pointed out this problem to me!