Feeling like it's not working

Options
So it is a little over 2 weeks now that I've been logging food, and according to MFP the first week I was 61 calories under my weekly goal, and the second week I was 1865 under my calorie goal. At first I was doing 1200 calories/day which was calculated as losing 2 pounds per week, but just yesterday I changed it to 1600 which is 1 pound loss per week. I just decided that I am okay with slower weight loss...Anyway, tonight I got on the scale because I forgot to weigh in this morning and from the first day it showed only a 1 pound loss :( Just the day before I was at 5.4 pounds lost. Granted I did weigh myself at night which I didn't do the day before, but when I recorded my starting weight I was also weighing in at night... I can't help but feel really discouraged. Especially since the past two weeks have been awesome. I know that sounds dramatic but a small part of me is telling me that the whole time i've been feeling so great and motivated has just been somewhat of a placebo effect- I've been thinking that I'm doing great just because of what MFP tells me but in reality I haven't changed a thing..

Does anyone else ever feel that way? I know I need to do better and try harder, but still ...just feeling so bummed.

Replies

• lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think that the important thing is consistency, which is something that I am trying to work on. I get discouraged but I know that eventually the weight will come off. What they say about not weighing yourself is true. When you weigh every day you'll find that you become a slave to what it says and easily disappointed when it fluctuates. Try doing it once a week and in the morning before you eat or drink to get a more accurate weight.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a chance! It's only 2 weeks... This and inconsistent weigh-in times are not an accurate measures of true weight loss. Take your measurements and weigh-in naked first thing in the morning after your go to the bathroom. Log accurately and stay at a caloric deficit for a month and then measure and weigh yourself again (naked, first thing in the morning).

Your weight fluctuates throughout the day and depending on the food/fluids you consume. And be sure you are logging everything you eat. And logging ACCURATELY - weigh and measure everything. A few 100 missed calories every day could be the difference between losing or gaining a pound!

Be patient with yourself, don't give up just because you don't see results right away. If you are eating less than you burn, then you WILL lose weight!

Good luck! :heart:
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    STICK WITH THE PLAN.

It's only been two weeks.

Give a month, then evaluate.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Did you eat foods high in sodium? Is it that time of the month? Are you more stressed than usual? Did you start a new workout routine? When is the last time you pooped?

Are you weighing and measuring all of your food?

Weight loss is not linear. My first week I lost 7 lbs just to gain 4 lbs the next week. I weigh myself everyday but just because I like to collect data on myself and so I know about my body's fluctuations. I also take measurements biweekly and I take those numbers a lot more seriously than the scale number. The truth of the matter is you would have needed to eat around 14000 calories above your TDEE to have gained 4 lbs in fat in a week so I am wagering you are seeing water weight.

Another common mistake new folks make around here is to underestimate calories consumed and overestimate calories burned during exercise.

Read the following, they are full of excellent advice and will get you started down the road to success:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Keep going. I plateau, sometimes for weeks, then wake up one morning and the scale has dropped. I think I alternate losses with new equilibrium.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    So it is a little over 2 weeks now that I've been logging food, and according to MFP the first week I was 61 calories under my weekly goal, and the second week I was 1865 under my calorie goal. At first I was doing 1200 calories/day which was calculated as losing 2 pounds per week, but just yesterday I changed it to 1600 which is 1 pound loss per week. I just decided that I am okay with slower weight loss...Anyway, tonight I got on the scale because I forgot to weigh in this morning and from the first day it showed only a 1 pound loss :( Just the day before I was at 5.4 pounds lost. Granted I did weigh myself at night which I didn't do the day before, but when I recorded my starting weight I was also weighing in at night... I can't help but feel really discouraged. Especially since the past two weeks have been awesome. I know that sounds dramatic but a small part of me is telling me that the whole time i've been feeling so great and motivated has just been somewhat of a placebo effect- I've been thinking that I'm doing great just because of what MFP tells me but in reality I haven't changed a thing..

Does anyone else ever feel that way? I know I need to do better and try harder, but still ...just feeling so bummed.

Hey now, hey now..... I'm telling you that this happened to me too... Cut your sodium intake in half and double your water intake... Eat 10=15 g or more of protein in every meal... especially at breakfast time... and also lower your intake to about 1450 instead of 1600. I guarantee you'll see a difference! I have been in the exact same boat. Cut back on your sugar as well,, and anything else that may make your blood sugar very high (white flour, white pasta, white bread, refined carbs in general)... cut back on those... and don't over-do it on the caffeine. Also.... up your fiber... make sure you get 25-30 grams of fiber EVERY DAY... it seems to me that its not that you're doing it wrong... but your body is holding onto a lot of water and waste product. This is totally up to you...but for me personally, I take a little magnesium-based/saline laxative once a month... that's not doctor recommended or anything, but saline laxatives will cause you to be a bit dehydrated so drink extra water before and after the day you will be taking it.
  • graciec74
    graciec74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this consistently for about a month now. I lost 7 lbs the first 2 weeks, gained 2 back and have been stuck ever since. I am still trying though. I have upped my workouts and am trying to drink a lot more water. I know this will work, too many people have succeeded with it. Just keep at it, don't give up! I'm trying to focus on the fact that i'm still 5 lbs smaller than I was when I started, and its really not very hard!
  • ut0pia88
    ut0pia88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, your kind words are definitely helping me get some motivation back!!
    Did you eat foods high in sodium? Is it that time of the month? Are you more stressed than usual? Did you start a new workout routine? When is the last time you pooped?

Weight loss is not linear. My first week I lost 7 lbs just to gain 4 lbs the next week. I weigh myself everyday but just because I like to collect data on myself and so I know about my body's fluctuations. I also take measurements biweekly and I take those numbers a lot more seriously than the scale number. The truth of the matter is you would have needed to eat around 14000 calories above your TDEE to have gained 4 lbs in fat in a week so I am wagering you are seeing water weight.

Another common mistake new folks make around here is to underestimate calories consumed and overestimate calories burned during exercise.

Read the following, they are full of excellent advice and will get you started down the road to success:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Wow, those links are soooo helpful!!! I haven't been doing this as well as I thought, for sure. I have some work to do, which is great to know!
  • MiniMarc
    MiniMarc Posts: 19
    Options
    It takes your body a couple weeks to get into burning mode so dont worry. Also ive seen my weight fluctuate by 0.7ish kg throughout the day so make sure you weigh at same time or take an average maybe of a few times. Think about how much fluid intake before weighing ie just make it consistant . Do any extra exercise you can , small things all add up to changes.

Ive said it before but if you want a big meal fill up on green (el dente) vegetables like brocoli , cabbage , asparagus. they have the most nutrients per calorie. and not many calories at that
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Indeed. Good links. It's a day in-day out journey. Keep a caloric deficit. Keep your chin up. Keep away from naysayers. Keep at it!

and FYI - I lost 1 single pound in the last month (2 lbs in the last 90 days). Just gotta keep plugging along and making little adjustments.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My weight stayed more or less the same for all of May, and then FELL OFF at the beginning of June in a big rush.

Learn how to weigh/measure food and log accurately. Make sure not to greatly overestimate calorie burns while exercising. Once you've mastered those two, keep on keeping on no matter what :). It all evens out in the end. May was such a weighing headache but my Libra app assures me I've been right on track with 1.5 lbs per week lost the whole time.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You weigh more at night. Like 2-3 lbs more usually.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You weigh more at night. Like 2-3 lbs more usually.

This. You're hydrated and have eaten. Weighing at night compared to weighing in the morning is always deceptive. Weigh at the same time, preferably in the morning after going to the toilet and before eating or drinking.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You've only been at this 2 weeks. It takes a while to see results. Didn't you just say that you are ok with doing this slowly?
  • pinkyslippers
    pinkyslippers Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm usually 4lbs heavier at night, so that might be all it is. Don't be discouraged :flowerforyou:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is not nearly enough time to judge your progress. Your body can vary its weight by 5 pounds easily due to water retention alone. You are going to have to keep it up for about 2 months before you can really see any noticeable changes.