Pear shaped...AAAHHHH!

Options
Okay, since joining MFP I have lost about 75 pounds. From the waist up, I look very small and toned. HOWEVER, from the waist down, I still feel like I look huge! I do lunges, squats and cardio, but still can't figure out how to lose fat in thighs and butt. Any suggestions because I need help!!!

Replies

• WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my world. From the belly button up I can totally rock it (thus my profile pic) but between my upper thighs and below my bellybutton - not so great.

You can't spot reduce so keep eating clean and healthy, keep doing HIIT and lift heavy weights. As you lower your body fat% your pear shape will catch up to your upper half. I'm finally starting to results in my lower abdomen and derriere, it is the last place for it to go for me because it's the first place I put it on! :)

You can do this. Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Okay, since joining MFP I have lost about 75 pounds. From the waist up, I look very small and toned. HOWEVER, from the waist down, I still feel like I look huge! I do lunges, squats and cardio, but still can't figure out how to lose fat in thighs and butt. Any suggestions because I need help!!!

I'm exactly the same, I've got a 28 inch waistline (size 12 in tees) and 46 inch hips (size 16 bottoms) :cry: I've lost plenty of weight and my waist just keeps getting narrower. I'm sure its coming off my hips but at a snails pace ... the only thing I am hoping for is that when I am closer to my goal, that it starts coming off of my legs because there is no fat anywhere else LOL

Although its not ideal though, I did lose 5 inches off my legs (althogether) by having laser liposuction LOL it was £800 for 8 sessions and you get a personal trainer with each session. But I wouldnt pay that again, it wasnt a big enough difference.

I have also found that since completeing the 30 day shred that my legs are super toned and firm, also with less cellulite. I was sure some fat came off my thighs - but not my hips :-( ... again, maybe the closer i am to my goal, the more it will show? *fingers crossed*
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Beachbody.com (makers of P90X) has a system called Brazil Butt Lift and that is how I got rid of my saddlebags and yes, lifted my butt!

Also, the Kettle Worx program tones legs from top to bottom...very nicely.

I'm sure you can find these in Amazon.com at a fraction of the cost.

Still working to be proportionate myself, I know the feeling.... hang in there.

All the best!
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think I remember reading that the abdomen and butt are the hardest area for women to lose weight. Eventually, the middle part of your body should catch of with the rest of your body. It's a matter of patience and not giving up!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you carry your weight. I'm pear shaped, too, and I've always had trouble with the saddle bags and my thighs. It's the first place I gain weight and the last place I lose it. Other women complain they just can't lose it off of their belly no matter how hard they work.

Frankly, we pear-shaped guys and gals have a lesser chance of heart disease than our apple-shaped sisters and brothers, so I'll take my pear-shape and live with it. :smile:

Just keep at it. As your overall body fat % keeps decreasing, your trouble areas will eventually give up that fat.
  • mrslantu2020
    mrslantu2020 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Beachbody.com (makers of P90X) has a system called Brazil Butt Lift and that is how I got rid of my saddlebags and yes, lifted my butt!

Also, the Kettle Worx program tones legs from top to bottom...very nicely.

I'm sure you can find these in Amazon.com at a fraction of the cost.

Still working to be proportionate myself, I know the feeling.... hang in there.

All the best!

Thanks for the advice - I started the Brazil Butt Lift workout today - WOW!! That's hard for sure!! Hope to see some results soon :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You don't want to hear this, but in all due time. I'm a pear too, my buns and thighs are the first place I gain and the last place I lose. It will come off with a little persistence.
  • Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you, the opposite is not good either! I'm basically a ruler leaning towards an inverted triangle a lot. My arms look huge and I'm definitely wider on top though I don't have a very large bust (normal I'd say). I hate it.
  • shonniegrl
    shonniegrl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way! The good thing about being pear shaped from a health standpoint is that leg, thigh and bottom fat are not deadly. The stomach fat is what is really unhealthy and can cause many health risks. Don't give up though!! It will eventually tone up and look better (I keep telling myself that). :)
  • sawalter68
    sawalter68 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have found that kickboxing has helped with my inherited pear shape. The kicks are great for the legs. A trainer once had me put a post it note about 3 feet up on a wall (the goal was to keep moving it up). I had to do crescent kicks up and over the post it. Start facing the wall and do a circular motion the leg going from inside to outside. Sounds crazy but really works the back side. Fire hydrants are also a good one.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I am pear shape and it is slowly coming off, I did 30 day shred, i am doing pilates, ripped in 30 and zumba now. I am also trying to run havnt really gotten into yet though.
  • mrslantu2020
    mrslantu2020 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have found that kickboxing has helped with my inherited pear shape. The kicks are great for the legs. A trainer once had me put a post it note about 3 feet up on a wall (the goal was to keep moving it up). I had to do crescent kicks up and over the post it. Start facing the wall and do a circular motion the leg going from inside to outside. Sounds crazy but really works the back side. Fire hydrants are also a good one.

Thanks a ton! I will have to try this out!!
  • upasanaD
    upasanaD Posts: 56
    Options
    I am pear shaped too ...but i can see some results now :)

1. Body weight training - As your overall body fat reduces, the lower body fat will also reduce, so do lots of body weight training and cardio.

2. Tone up Your Upper body - Do not focus only on your lower body.As we have less muscles in the upper body , to shape up the whole body you need to tone up your upper body with a pair of dumbbells.

3. Increase your calcium intake - As the pear shaped people are weak boners, to increase the strength of your bones,include lots of low fat dairy products in your diet.

4. Avoid unhealthy fat - As pear shaped body can easily store fats in the lower half, you have to avoid all kind of unhealthy fat like processed food, oily food and limited healthy fat.

5. Lower body workout - Don't use too heavy weight while working out with your lower body, it may bulk up the lower body as it has more muscles there. Lunges, squats, kickboxing, Pilates and stretching workouts are very useful for me.

Don't lose hope, Best of Luck
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Have the same problem (especially that dreadful pooch). But I am encouraged by my pants getting looser and looser so I know I'm definitely losing down there.