Fitbit - Do you eat your extra calories?

Options
So I am curious? When My Fitness Pal adjusts your calories based on your activity on Fitbit, are you eating those extra calories or are you not in an effort to lose more weight? Mentally wrestling with what the right thing to do is. Eatting them feels like rewarding exercise with food. Should I be feeling this much guilt or enjoying the extras allowed from being active?

Replies

• Fishshtick
    Fishshtick Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Technically you should be eating back some calorie to hit your target lbs per week goal and not lose weight too fast. However, many people find that they cannot eat back the full amount of exercise calories if their weight loss goal is moderate (e.g., 1 lb per week), but find eating back 1/2 to 2/3 still works to maintain their target weight loss. the biggest reasons for this are that most estimates of calories burned from fitbit, other electronics, or even online guidelines tend to be a bit overestimated. Another reason is that other small amounts of error creep in that tend to reduce the actual deficit you end up with. Calories burned is based on averages for BMR for the human population, but there is some variation among individuals and if any group is actually going to be biased toward slower than average BMR values it is people who are overweight to begin with or have already been dieting. Many estimates of calories in food in the MFP database also tend to be underestimates, and many people also underestimate portion sizes. the point being, some people are close enough to their metabolic tipping point that eating back all of the exercise calories can erase their deficit and slow their weight loss too much. Others are just fine. You may need to experiment a bit to find what the right amount is, but I would recommend that you start by eating back most of those exercise calories and adjust your proportion after a couple of weeks when you get an idea of the results.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I eat the extra calories if I'm hungry like today. I am set to lightly active but right now I'm more active on some days.
  • splitdog79
    splitdog79 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've had a Flex for about a few weeks now and it's convinced me that I need to stop eating back exercise calories completely. I started doing that and I was eating in total some days over 2,500 calories. I just wasn't losing or even maintaining. Fact is, as nice as apps and tools are to help figure your burn, they aren't entirely accurate in my understanding. They're rather generous.

It's best, in my completely anecdotal experience, to err on the side of caution and not view this all as some magical new gift of allowable calories from the heavens. My opinion, of course.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back, I just eat if I'm hungry.

Once you get over the hump of just eating bad stuff all the time just to keep eating, eventually we all get back in touch with the idea of being hungry. I find I get hungrier when I work out more so I eat a little more. I keep an eye on it to make sure I'm not just doing fat guy food math though.

I found it was easiest to ignore the exercise calories when I started and then a month in I am eating back a small portion of them just to make sure I have the fuel to keep working out again the next day.

MFP tends to overestimate the calories burned for any given activity to the point where it mostly seems made up, so the hunger thing works best for me but I only feed myself real meals and no easy snacking options to gorge on when my common sense isn't looking.
  • maryke22
    maryke22 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This helps alot! :smile: :smile:
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I've had a Flex for about a few weeks now and it's convinced me that I need to stop eating back exercise calories completely. I started doing that and I was eating in total some days over 2,500 calories. I just wasn't losing or even maintaining. Fact is, as nice as apps and tools are to help figure your burn, they aren't entirely accurate in my understanding. They're rather generous.

It's best, in my completely anecdotal experience, to err on the side of caution and not view this all as some magical new gift of allowable calories from the heavens. My opinion, of course.

This ^^ I don't have fitbit but wore a Bodymedia core armband for a short time and felt the same way...I was actually overeating...
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back about 50-75% based on how hungry I'm feeling.

I don't see eating exercise calories as rewarding myself, I'm fueling my body and making sure that I am getting the nutrients that I need.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I eat back 50-75% of my calories burned through fitbit and so far I've found it to be spot on accurate.
  • maryke22
    maryke22 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I don't see eating exercise calories as rewarding myself, I'm fueling my body and making sure that I am getting the nutrients that I need.

Thank you for a perfect way of phrasing that! I really love that!!!
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have my mfp set to the lowest activity, and use the fitbit caloric adjustment (negative enabled). Log all my cardio with hrm results and log them with the correct time. When I'm cutting I go as close as I can to the calorie remaining in mfp so I don't lose to much muscle. I find the steps work well with general activity, much better than mfp settings.

It all depends on how well you log and what you normally do in a day (some activities can mess with fitbit, I take it off or pause it if I'm not just walking around).

You don't want to eat too little. a lot of people say they dont want eat exercise calories, that's just ignorant, its all about the net.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have my mfp set to the lowest activity, and use the fitbit caloric adjustment (negative enabled). Log all my cardio with hrm results and log them with the correct time. When I'm cutting I go as close as I can to the calorie remaining in mfp so I don't lose to much muscle. I find the steps work well with general activity, much better than mfp settings.

It all depends on how well you log and what you normally do in a day (some activities can mess with fitbit, I take it off or pause it if I'm not just walking around).

You don't want to eat too little. a lot of people say they dont want eat exercise calories, that's just ignorant, its all about the net.

I wouldn't call it ignorant...... nothing wrong with burning more calories than you take in...that's the whole point of weight loss... If you're that concerned...when you change you're activity level to very active or whatever...then it will recalculate how many calories you should be eating on a daily basis to achieve 0.5-2 pound weight loss... like ...eating back calories is petty to me...as long as your eating at least 1200 calories a day.. you'll live.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options

I totally agree. I mean....If I run a couple loads of laundry up and down the stairs and burn 50 calories....Am I supposed to eat those back too?? I mean its just ridiculous to me... If you know that you're the type of person that works out 4-6 times a week.....for roughly however long..then just up your calorie goal in general so you can have enough fuel to workout like you do... but to log..and it to say ohhh you've earned 400 extra calories! and you go scarf down a fourth meal because you have that many extra calories...it just seems stupid... to me, you should exercise to keep in shape....and keep your organs, mainly heart, healthy and all that... but not so you can knock back an extra glass of wine.. an extra yogurt cup... an extra protein shake... an extra pizza slice.. its just doing the most..and way too petty. make sure you get at least a 500 calorie deficit everyday and eat over 1200 calories, and take your vitamins and you'll be fine
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If your mfp is set at a 1000 deficit, and you burn 500 calories and still only eat what you would have needed without exercise you have a 50% higher deficit. I'm not a nutritionist, and everyone is different, but having a very high deficit can be unhealthy.

You can't just go with 1200 calls, way to many factors.
  • matlab99
    matlab99 Posts: 7
    Options
    I don't have a fitbit but I feel like the extra calories Fitbit gives you are not "extra". I only enter the calories I burned through exercises from my HRM and sometimes I don't eat them back either.
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    This is what I have been doing, I pay attention to the calories fitbit ays, not mfp and I log my activities on the fitbit and wear a Heart rate monitor. When I logged all this stuff in my fitness pal, somehow point a got lost on its way to b and I was very upset and only maintaining and not losing any weight whatsoever
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I set my activity level to sedentary and use the exercise calories the FitBit adds to my day, at least half of them. I'm completely sedentary some days, others I'm moving around a lot. I've found that the basic settings on MFP don't really apply because my days can vary so much, so on the more active days the calories the FitBit adds in for exercise generally put me on par with a lightly active or moderately active setting. I don't feel so much like I'm "eating the exercise calories" I feel like I'm fueling the day's activities.
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat them, sometimes I don't. I only have mine set to 1lb/week which is a 500 calorie deficit, so I feel like I have some flexibility. I just watch and make sure I don't have more, or at least much more than 1000 calorie deficit.

I also have negative adjustments allowed, so if I don't move enough throughout the day my calorie goal goes down. It keeps me honest.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Thank you for a perfect way of phrasing that! I really love that!!!
    This. Food is what my body uses as fuel to do awesome things. Why would I want to be less awesome?
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I set myself a TDEE-15% daily calorie allowance and ignore my Fitbit. I mostly use it to challenge myself and up my step totals.

But if I am having a hungry day, I will eat a little more, at least I know I've got the room to do so!