Early morning exercise

Options
dearannna
dearannna Posts: 60 Member
I've been doing ok with sticking to a calorie deficit pretty much since the new year. However, I've gradually been increasing my exercise routine and the only way I can realistically fit it in at the moment is to get up earlier and work out first thing.

The issue I'm having is that previously I would have my breakfast at about 7.30 / 8am, then lunch between 12 and 1, a snack if I needed it at 5ish, and then dinner later in the evening which worked well. Now I am eating my breakfast of porridge with a banana and a spoonful of peanut butter at 5.30 - 6am, then heading out to the gym. I am then really struggling to last til the middle of the day and feel ready for lunch at about 10am! I've been having something to eat mid morning but I'm now struggling to make my calories last until the end of the day.

I can't go to the gym without eating as it really affects my productivity, and I don't eat all of my exercise calories but I'm nervious to do so because I think mfp's estimates are over generous. My diary is open though if anyone wanted to look!

I'm not sure there's an easy answer, but am really interested to hear any suggestions of things I can try or how other early morning exercisers manage their calories through the day.

Replies

• metamorphoo1961
    metamorphoo1961 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I work at a school, and because of all the after-school activities I must attend during the school year, the best time for me to exercise is first thing in the morning. So I'm up and at 'em at 4:00 a.m.!

Have you tried eating a part of your breakfast before you leave for the gym, then saving part of it for later in the morning? In that way, you could still eat something to get your engine going, but not eat more than you typically budget for breakfast. In essence, you would have two mini-breakfasts instead of one. Or you could break up your lunch into two mini meals instead of your breakfast. I often break up my lunch, eating part of it as a mid-morning snack.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    getting whole grains in helps curb the hunger. you dont have enough carbs in your diet ..id spread the carbs out and try to have the heaviest carbs early like you have now and then avg 25g of carbs per meal ..thats if you have 5-6 meals a day..try to scale back on your heavy meal at dinner and eat every 3 hours if you can and see what happens. everyone is different and has to do what works for them but for me eating 5-6 times a day helps to curb my hunger pains and gives me the fuel i need to make it through the days...

i commend you for working out early..im an early bird but not good at exercising early in the morning..its 830am right now and im going to exercise now due to a busy day ..seems to make more sense to do it earlier for me but never seem to get my *kitten* up and just do it ..always procrastinating till later in the day :(
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    late morning snack .... done.
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Late morning snack, split breakfast, there are options but they all need to include the work out. For me, morning workouts were only challenged by my ability to drag my butt out of bed at 4:45. Getting up is sometimes a bigger challenge than the workout.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Can you not just fuel your workout with a banana or something small, then have breakfast after your workout?

When you say you can't train fasted as it affects your productivity, what exactly do you mean - you don't workout as hard?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating a part of your breakfast before you leave for the gym, then saving part of it for later in the morning?

This is a great idea.

Also keep in mind you are increasing your activity so do not be afraid to add some calories.

Maybe have your porridge with say some berries and then have your banana and peanut butter when you get to work...
  • dearannna
    dearannna Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Can you not just fuel your workout with a banana or something small, then have breakfast after your workout?

When you say you can't train fasted as it affects your productivity, what exactly do you mean - you don't workout as hard?

Yeah - If I don't have a good carby meal before going to the gym I just feel like I run out of juice about 15 mins in and end up limping to the end of my planned workout.

I think everyone's suggestions have been around reducing the size of the meals to allow me to eat more frequently. I'll try halving my breakfast portion tomorrow which will leave me more calories for a guilt free snack mid morning - then hopefully be able to carry on as normal for the rest of the day.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I do run in the morning because thats how i get to work, but unlike you i CAN'T eat beforehand or even drink water or I get terrible cramps and feel nauseated the whole way. For you though, as has already been suggested, i would either save part of your breakfast until later or have part of your lunch early. I break my meals up so that i am eating every 2 hours or so. Then its never long before i can have something to "snack" on if i'm feeling peckish.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options

I wake up really early and work out, whether gym or bike ride. I cannot eat a full meal before working out. I eat fruit after waking then go work out and have a meal/recovery afterwards.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating a part of your breakfast before you leave for the gym, then saving part of it for later in the morning?

This is a great idea.

Also keep in mind you are increasing your activity so do not be afraid to add some calories.

Maybe have your porridge with say some berries and then have your banana and peanut butter when you get to work...

This seems to be the best line of thinking...