Too few calories suggeted by MFP

Options
I have lost 100 pounds since March of last year using MFP. Yeah me! However, I still weigh 275. My question is, when I logged my weight today (I generally log my weight loss in 5 pound increments) MFP dropped by calories to 1370. That seems low to me for my weight.

I exercise 6 days a weeks, rotating swimming, rowing machine, elliptical, and weights. I do not eat back my calories intentionally, but if I go over by 100-200 I don't stress about it.

Since March, when MFP took me down to 1450 calories, my weight loss has drastically stopped. That is also when my exersise increased. Does MFP have my calories to low?

Thoughts?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    MFP calories are based on weight and weekly weight loss goal and daily activity setting.

What is your goal weight? What is your weekly weight loss goal? What is your activity setting at?
  • younginaz
    younginaz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am set as 2 pounds a week. Sedetary lifestyle (because I sit at a desk all day) exercise is set at 6 days a week at 45 minutes. But I am not losing 2 pounds a week. I have only lost 25 pounds since January. I was starting to wonder if my calories were too low, and then MFP dropped me to 1370 today.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you a goal based on your stats & activity level and then tells you to eat more to cover your exercise.

You choose to follow the initial goal but not eat more to cover your exercise. So you're opting to follow only part of the MFP "program" and you're wondering if there is a problem.

If a speed limit is 55 and you drive 65 by choice, is the speed limit wrong? Or perhaps you're not making full use of the recommendation?
  • Pritree
    Pritree Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For me, the weight loss goal from MFP suggests 1200 calories.. I cannot live on that! I took some suggestions from people on here and decided to calculate my TDEE (google TDEE calculator). Then I subtracted 20% of the calories to get my calorie goal. Interestingly, that calorie amount is about the same as if I set MFP to "maintain weight" (around 1400-1500).

I would play around with it and see what works for you. You sound pretty active so something in the 1300 range is probably too low!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am set as 2 pounds a week. Sedetary lifestyle (because I sit at a desk all day) exercise is set at 6 days a week at 45 minutes. But I am not losing 2 pounds a week. I have only lost 25 pounds since January. I was starting to wonder if my calories were too low, and then MFP dropped me to 1370 today.

But how much more weight do you have to lose?

2lbs a week is fine if you have over 100lbs to lose...which you did lose already...

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

but if you only have 50lbs left you need to adjust that goal and your calories will reflect that. Your calories are low based on your data...you want more calories change your weekly weight loss goal.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Personal experience here, not to be mistake for science/fact, but I went from 290 to 240 on 1800 - 2000 calories a day. MFP has tried to drop me a few times in the last couple losses, but based on my reading/understanding, I've declined to do so.

That said, if you are eating too few calories, I have no idea what it looks like to gradually increase calories.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I am confused. Why do you complain that MFP does not give you enough calories, since most of the time you don't even eat the ones you are allowed now.
    I went back several weeks and you ate only at your goal twice, ate over ( by a small amount) once and the rest always had a significant amount ( up to 500) left over. And that does not seem to even include your exercise calories.....
    Apart from that I think your diet looks really good. But I agree, you could eat more and still lose.-
    Also, if you don't lose now make sure that you measure and weigh everything accurately, because usually not losing means that you don't eat at a deficit.
  • younginaz
    Options
    I think you misunderstood. I am following the MFP plan, exactly. I have my goals set and I stick to them. I eat my calories and I exercise. Some people eat back their calories and some don't. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, but I never go over my calories whether it be eating back calories or not.

There is a lot of information about consuming two few calories. I am simply asking for opinions on the 1370 MFP set for me this morning. I am not sure where the confustion or the sarcasm is coming from.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up so that you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories, particularly when you're set at 'sedentary.' The reason less than 1400 calories seems like too little for you at your height and weight is because it is too little.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I have lost 100 pounds since March of last year using MFP. Yeah me! However, I still weigh 275. My question is, when I logged my weight today (I generally log my weight loss in 5 pound increments) MFP dropped by calories to 1370. That seems low to me for my weight.

I exercise 6 days a weeks, rotating swimming, rowing machine, elliptical, and weights. I do not eat back my calories intentionally, but if I go over by 100-200 I don't stress about it.

Since March, when MFP took me down to 1450 calories, my weight loss has drastically stopped. That is also when my exersise increased. Does MFP have my calories to low?

Thoughts?
    I suspect your slowed weight loss has more to do with the added exercise and your body just slowing down than with eating less. 100 lbs. was a lot. Good work! Sometimes things get slow for a while, especially if your exercise routine is a lot different from what it was.

I think at 275 lbs. you're fine with aiming to lose 2 lbs/week but the MFP goal does expect you to add back something for your workouts or put in a more active starting activity level.
  • younginaz
    Options
    I do have 100 more to lose. I guess my concern comes from two things.

The general rule is that if you are not losing and following your plan, you are either 1) not in a calorie deficit or 2) eating too few calores. I am fairly certian I am in a calories deficit, becuase I weigh everything.

Becuase I have not been losing the 2 pounds a week, I have been wondering if I have been eating too few calories. Then today, when MFP dropped me, it made me wonder about that even more.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    How tall and how old are you?
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I do have 100 more to lose. I guess my concern comes from two things.

The general rule is that if you are not losing and following your plan, you are either 1) not in a calorie deficit or 2) eating too few calores. I am fairly certian I am in a calories deficit, becuase I weigh everything.

Becuase I have not been losing the 2 pounds a week, I have been wondering if I have been eating too few calories. Then today, when MFP dropped me, it made me wonder about that even more.

#2 is a fallacy. If you aren't losing weight while eating a certain number of calories, you aren't going to magically lose weight if you increase what you eat. If you are only netting 13xx calories a day, at 275 lbs, the weight should be falling off of you.

Are you sure you weigh and log everything? I see a few entries that are not weighed.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    you may be building muscle as you lose fat, and since muscle weighs more than fat, well, there ya go.
  • younginaz
    Options
    How tall and how old are you?

5'7 and I am 51
  • 2dare2dream
    2dare2dream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    First of all i understand exactly your concerns. I also follow my calories as dictated by MFP, but reached a point last month where my weightloss was stationery even though i was more active. When i upped my calories my weightloss started to shift. my advice is to eat at least half of your earned exercise calories each active day and see if that makes any difference. Its scary i know as none of us want to put on weight when we are trying to lose but sometimes you have to take risks or adapt.
    Pls feel free to message me if you want to discuss further as i also have lost over 100lbs so can relate to your story. Also remember in this next phase you wont lose as you did in first phase, each phase is harder and takes more effort the closer you get to target.
  • Shaylam82
    Shaylam82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Personal experience here, not to be mistake for science/fact, but I went from 290 to 240 on 1800 - 2000 calories a day. MFP has tried to drop me a few times in the last couple losses, but based on my reading/understanding, I've declined to do so.

That said, if you are eating too few calories, I have no idea what it looks like to gradually increase calories.

THIS x1000!!! I lose so much more weight when I eat around 1800 calories!!! I am 5'6 and currently 237. I dont log my exercise. I had to manually enter in my daily caloreis becasue MFP set me at 1350. Past experience has taught me that super low calorie intake doesnt work for me.
  • younginaz
    Options
    First of all i understand exactly your concerns. I also follow my calories as dictated by MFP, but reached a point last month where my weightloss was stationery even though i was more active. When i upped my calories my weightloss started to shift. my advice is to eat at least half of your earned exercise calories each active day and see if that makes any difference. Its scary i know as none of us want to put on weight when we are trying to lose but sometimes you have to take risks or adapt.
    Pls feel free to message me if you want to discuss further as i also have lost over 100lbs so can relate to your story. Also remember in this next phase you wont lose as you did in first phase, each phase is harder and takes more effort the closer you get to target.

Thank you. I will try that and see if it helps. You are so right about the phases. Last year, I actually bragged at how easy it was, and now I am whining about how hard it is. :)
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I think you're not eating enough. I'd wager a guess that you're probably eating under your BMR. Try backing off to 1 pound a week for a month and see where that goes. Also, try to get some exercise in. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    you may be building muscle as you lose fat, and since muscle weighs more than fat, well, there ya go.

No... Sorry, that's a big old myth. It's nearly impossible to gain muscle on a calorie deficit, especially for women. Being obese gives her a bit of an advantage as she has a surplus built in but it's still not enough to allow for gains that will negate a loss on the scale.

I agree that since OP's exercise has increased recently, thsi is likely the reason. When you start exercising or increase the intensity of your workout (faster, more time, more weight, higher resistance, etc) you muscles will sustain microtrauma - this is why we feel sore after a hard workout. And the body's natural response to this damage is to retain water and glycogen. (It's kind of like when you turn your ankle and it swells - only not as visible as it's spread out over a larger area.) And we all know what happens when we retain water...the scale shows no loss and maybe even a slight gain.

Once youre body becomes accustomed to the new routine, this retention will lessen.

I also agree that you should try eating back more of your exercise calories - maybe half of them on a regular basis. Or change your goal to 1.5 pounds per week.

Good luck!!