making fun// teasing.. whatever VENT.

Options
annoyed right now because people "make fun" of me.. for what I eat? my co workers tell me I'm going to sprout chia (avid chia seed eater), my smoothies look like mud (smoothie everyday) and that I "go all out" when I make my lunch. they make sarcastic comments when I eat anything healthy.I just don't understand why do you have to comment on everything that goes into my mouth? it really is, very annoying.

Replies

• MN_HGirl
    MN_HGirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As hard as it is, try to not let it bother you.

I think people that do that feel jealous that you have the willpower to change your lifestyle and they know that they cant and are a bit self conscious about what they are eating. They get after me for not ever eating out with them (I dont like spending the money or the extra calories!) and ask me when this diet thing of mine is going to flop.
    Ive had co-workers give me crap for not eating cookies or cake when some is brought in, and they will even ask me to go get some just so that they dont look like pigs getting more (which I dont).
    They also fully analyze my lunch and make comments on the "small portion" size. But really the joke is on them since they way overeat and a couple of them have noticeably gained weight over the last year or so, I just shrug to myself when I see one of them regularly heat up one of those monster pot pies that has enough sodium for a week and my full days calorie count.

If what you are doing is making you feel great then stick to it! There will be bullies everywhere.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I would honestly just say "I don't appreciate comments about what I eat, they make me feel X,Y,Z. I would appreciate it if you stopped."
  • 1jollywings
    1jollywings Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is where the infamous Mind over Matter quote comes to mind.
    If they are "just" co-workers and they mind the healthy way you choose to eat then they just should not matter to you.
    Stay strong!
  • mdpkelley
    mdpkelley Posts: 19
    Options
    definitely staying motivated. :) thank you guys for the encouragement!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I think people feel threatened sometimes, as though what you are doing is a comment on their diet/fitness/lifestyle.

I've never set out to make anyone bad by not being obese anymore, it's to make me feel good, but I get the 'jokey' (not jokey) insults and commentary on what does in my gob.

Stick at it and ignore 'em as best you can. Not easy sometimes.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I'm always surprised at how many people think their unasked opinion is okay or even welcome.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    There just jealous that they see results and cannot do it themselves.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You can't change anything about what people will say or think, you can only change your response to it. You can tell them to buzz off, or just ignore it. Consider the source always. In my experience, the commenters were always overweight women, or men. In the case of the women it is probably jealousy and in the case of men - it's a convoluted compliment.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    That's making fun of you? I think you need to lighten up.

My daily protein shake is delicious, but looks like greenish brown diarrhea (I put spinach and cocoa powder in it). It wouldn't even kind of bother me if someone told me it looked gross, because it does. "You go all out with lunch" isn't an insult. The correct response? A playful, "Don't hate. You know you want some." As for the chia comment, who cares? Would you rather them say, "Dang girl, you're packing on some serious LBs"? I think not. Let them say what they want to say, as they have a right to say it. Chill out.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    annoyed right now because people "make fun" of me.. for what I eat? my co workers tell me I'm going to sprout chia (avid chia seed eater), my smoothies look like mud (smoothie everyday) and that I "go all out" when I make my lunch. they make sarcastic comments when I eat anything healthy.I just don't understand why do you have to comment on everything that goes into my mouth? it really is, very annoying.

Ignore them. Simple as that. I don't give two sh!ts what people have to say so I do what I want.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    They do it to me as well.

Smile and just know it makes you happy.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    That's making fun of you? I think you need to lighten up.

My daily protein shake is delicious, but looks like greenish brown diarrhea (I put spinach and cocoa powder in it). It wouldn't even kind of bother me if someone told me it looked gross, because it does. "You go all out with lunch" isn't an insult. The correct response? A playful, "Don't hate. You know you want some." As for the chia comment, who cares? Would you rather them say, "Dang girl, you're packing on some serious LBs"? I think not. Let them say what they want to say, as they have a right to say it. Chill out.

^smooches *o* ^ This attitude. ^

Don't forget to smile! :wink:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I would honestly just say "I don't appreciate comments about what I eat, they make me feel X,Y,Z. I would appreciate it if you stopped."
    I might add "Since we're no longer in junior high, I assumed you already knew this; sorry for assuming," but I'm sometimes a little sarcastic.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Do you get all defensive and react when they tease you? Some people love pushing buttons and getting people all flustered. If you ignore them, they will stop eventually. I'd probably say, very dryly, "yeah, I know, haha, very funny" and change the subject.

I used to drink this tea that was a light orangey yellow color and someone mentioned to a friend of mine that it looked like I was carrying around a urine sample. When she told me, it made me a bit self conscious at first but then just became a joke. You gotta learn to let that stuff roll and not be so sensitive.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Sounds like jealousy and lack of tact to me. I know it is hard, but try to ignore it. My friends even do it to me when I order water instead of a beer at restaurants or eat celery as a snack instead of chips.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    who cares what they think? Just ignore
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

I like this. Simple yet direct.

Most likely, it's just a conversation topic for your coworkers. Unless they are clearly struggling with their own dieting or whatever, I doubt they're super jealous or intimidated. They probably see it as a "quirk" that is (in their minds, anyway) somewhat socially acceptable to comment on.

I'm not saying that makes it okay, just saying that in my experience it's often because they don't know what else to talk about with you.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

It could be jealousy, ignorance, guilt or a mixture of the three. They are trying to get your goat and as long as they do they will continue until something else comes along for them to prattle on about. Don't let it get to you and try not to react in the manner they are expecting. If you normally respond verbally, stop. Give them stoney, uncomfortable silence. If you normally try to explain, stop. Do not let it become an issue of workplace harassment either. If it crosses that line, file a complaint and move on. Continue doing what is best for you. Let them go whistle Dixie!
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm a natural born smartass, so I tend to fire off regular volleys of sarcasm at anyone who bothers me. I do love a good battle of wits as long as it's all in good fun. It's like a sport in my family. Most of the time, I don't pay much attention to what other people say. I pretty much live in my own head and go about my own business.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I think people feel threatened sometimes, as though what you are doing is a comment on their diet/fitness/lifestyle.

Stick at it and ignore 'em as best you can. Not easy sometimes.

I agree. I've had people at every job I've had make comments on my food choices. One that I had to laugh at was a lady telling me I always have "such interesting lunches" :huh: I was eating chicken breast and green beans. It's because I'm the only one at work that actually has a homecooked lunch every day. Everyone else eats Lean Cuisines or goes out to buy lunch.

If you like your food and it's helping you get to your goals, who cares what they think?