Entertaining yourself at the gym

Options
Hey,
I usually do fitness videos, but have returned home from college and fitness vids maybe a bit difficult to do round here so i'm planning on joining the gym.

I'm terrible at the gym. I tend to get super board on the machines and start at the window or tv, because unlike the videos I've got got someone to motivate me >.< .

I am determined to crack dat gym! So how do you guys keep focused for each 20min workout?

Replies

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Find yourself something you DO like.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I usually go in the morning before work, so I don't have time to get bored or distracted. I stay focused because I have a limited amount of time to get my sets done, get out, and get ready to be at work. I find cardio boring, so I do that at home on my treadmill or taking the dog for a walk. No way I'm going to the gym at 430 a.m. to plug away on a treadmill or elliptical.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I watch Netflix on my phone.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Music does it for me, i have a playlist of songs that make me want to go hard out.
  • trying_to_burn
    Options
    Silly follow up question. So do you just go up to ppl and be like "yo. want to work out together?"
    I would like a gym buddy but I don;t know anyone where I live ^^;
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    When I first started I would get a large print book (I couldn't keep my eyes on the right line of the regular print when on the elliptical) and go for whatever amount of time I was aiming for that day. The time would fly, even up to 45 minutes. Now, which I know is a good thing, I can't keep my heart rate up without putting in a lot of effort so reading is out the window :( My gym has tv's out the wazoo but they are pretty much set to news or sports (and you are not allowed to change them) and that is not my cup of tea so I just go with music. They have free wifi so I pull up a playlist on YouTube and listen while I work my rear end off, hopefully literally. I am planning on learning how to make my own playlist on there so I can listen to music I actually like but anything high energy is okay for me.

ETA, I think, upon rereading, that I misunderstood your question. I think you really just have to want this yourself and be able to push and motivate yourself. On the days that I don't think I can make it, I tell myself that I can quit but the only one I am cheating is me. It can also be really motivating when you are tracking your progress and start to see the changes so make sure you are taking measurements too and not just weight.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I just listen to music if I'm in the gym on the cardio machines, works for me. If you find the gym boring/get easily distracted then maybe opt for group exercise classes if they are included in your membership. You will be working out with other people and if you typically like dvd workouts, group classes will give you that atmospehere/someone telling you to keep going.
  • trying_to_burn
    Options
    Actually, I've had an idea, listen to an online book
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I watch Netflix on my phone.

this
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    get on a program.

use a program- set a timer for resting between sets- you will only have so much time to stare into space.
  • jackx18
    jackx18 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you are on cardio machines, try doing intervals. I get focused on making sure I switch the speed at the right time and before I know it, my cardio work is done.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I read a book on my Nook if I'm on treadmill or elliptical, listen to music on weight machines.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Music, going in with a plan for my workout (I follow an online lifting program). I will people watch in between sets but when I'm lifting, I'm usually focused on one spot for concentration. If I have my own music in my ears I can't hear much of what others around me are saying or the other noises. It makes it easier to concentrate on my workout so I can get done and get on with my evening.
  • pietomb00
    pietomb00 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I people watch....just don't stare
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I find that when I'm lifting weights - being entertained is the last thing on my mind. I love music, but rarely focus on it unless resting between sets.

Challenge yourself a little more. :drinker:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I find that when I'm lifting weights - being entertained is the last thing on my mind. I love music, but rarely focus on it unless resting between sets.

Challenge yourself a little more. :drinker:

QFT.

I'm listening to music and watching my form in the mirror. I entertain myself by picking up the heavy things.
  • joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options
    Listen to an audio book, read on my Kindle, watch a show or a movie.. people watch.