New Here - Have Fibromyalgia, but it does not have me

Options
Hello. New here to this site and the whole tracking your food and exercise. Have been working out at a physical fitness facility that is part of a major hospital in Virginia. Was doing and 8 week program called Functional Fitness within the fitness center. Wonderful program. Has helped to find exercises that I now love doing. I loving working out in the Therapy Pool. I can do a 1 1/2 - 2 hour workout in the therapy pool and not be sore the next day. I have also found out which classes I am not ready to take yet because they made me very sore.

I was diagnosed 5 years ago with Fibromyalgia after about 5 years of having to endure the doctor's skepticisim about my symptoms and illness. But I finally found a wonderful Dr. that told me if I stuck with him, he would help me find out what was going on with my body and sure enough, not even 6 months later I had my diagnosis.

I had been a medication for my fibro, but last summer I was able to take myself off the medication because I had started walking every day, twice a day for 30 - 45 minutes. But then towards the end of the summer I fell when I stepped on black walnut and ended up fracturing my wrist, twisting my ankle, getting tendinitis in my right foot and a very sore and scraped left knee.

Last April I made a decision that I would start working out again, but realized that I needed more than my own motivation and more than just walking. So I did some research and checked out fitness facilities and decided to join the medical fitness facility.

I love it and enjoy going to work out. Since joining I have lost 4 lbs and 2 inches, in addition to gaining endurance and strength.

It has not been an easy road or journey and there have been plenty of times when I have wanted to give up and just lay in bed. But I have realized that doing that doesn't really help me, it makes my fibro worse. But I have also learned to listen to my body and to know when not to push myself any further because if I do I will dearly pay the price with being unable to function for 2 - 3 weeks.

It is difficult to not push myself to do more when I feel like I can, but trust and believe me when I think of the consequences of doing that I know I can't.

So, with that said, I am here to encourage and being encourage, to support and be supportive and to hopefully make some new friends along the way.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Walking and working out is great. Have you tried yoga as well?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Welcome. There are many of us using MFP who have different restricting health issues. I am sure we all know something of what your experience has been because of our own. I for one am very pleased you seem to have had more support than many, me for one. There are groups, for people with Fibro, thyroid and many more health problems, which you can join to add read what others have learned and share your own discoveries.

All the very best regaining health.
  • Singlejules
    Singlejules Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome.
    I too suffer with Fibromyalgia and struggle to do a lot of exercise.
    I do what I can, when I can.
    I was diagnosed over 8yrs ago and it has got worse.
    Add me if you want and we can support each other.
  • sandydoyle33
    Options
    Yes, I have tried with the Wii and I did a class at the fitness center. The Wii Yoga I can handle, but the class was a bit intense for my level and I was sore for about 5 days.
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    Hi x I was told not to do yoga but to try Pilates or tai chi x I've started Pilates and so far so good x
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I have fibro too, feel free to add me, and I find walking to be the best compromise for my body. I can keep it up for longer and I generally feel okay while doing it. My chiropractor has noticed improvements since I've started (went from no exercise to walking daily).

If you want a more intense variation of walking, check out local hiking trails or inclines to challenge yourself more on days you feel up to it.

Regardless, walking every day IS something to be proud of. Never let yourself feel bad for how you're being healthy because everyone is fighting a different battle.
  • sandydoyle33
    Options
    Hello,

Finally home. Was traveling from Monterey, CA to Berryville, VA.

RodaRose - Yes, I have tried yoga. If I do it from my Wii, I don't get too sore. I was sore from the class because the instructor was a substitute instructor and I have been told by several of her collegues that she makes every workout an intense workout. So, right now I am focusing on the stuff that is working so that I can continue improving.

mickeysjulie - I started out very, very, very slow with my exercises. I did 3 - 5 minutes to begin with 2-3 times a week. Then when I felt myself getting a little stronger I started walking. I started with just 5 laps at a very slow pace. Walked at the same pace for about a month before increasing my pace and the amount of laps, again slowly increasing.

My dog and I now do 20 -25 laps twice a day, most of the time. There are days that I can only do 10, so that is what I do. Every little bit helps and every time you do it you are building up your endurance and muscles.

fit_gal - I thought Yoga would be good, but at this point I think I need to continue to build on my endurance and stamina. I am signed up to try a class of Water Tai Chi in the therapy pool. Looking forward to that. If Pilates works for you, keep doing it. The important thing is to stay as active as you can. Some days you will be able to do more than others and that's ok. Don't push yourself today because yesterday you did 15 minutes and today you can only do 5. Unfortunately for us, our bodies do not respond the same way the bodies of people that don't have fibro do.

babylinguist - I agree 150% with you. With us it's not really how much we, but that we actually do something that counts. I love walking and like you, I usually feel much better after doing it. Sometimes I will listen to my iPod and other times I just walk listening to the sounds of nature and taking in the beauty of God's creation. I use to worry about what people would think of me if I didn't work out a certain amount of time and/or do a certain amount of reps, but not any more. I know that what counts and what is important is that I continue to be active, even if my active periods are less than impressive to other people. To me and the people that know me, know that it is progress.

Thank you ladies for your words of advice and encouragement. It means a lot to me.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the supplement (in powder form) D-Ribose? I use it and it's helped tremendously. After 4 weeks, I'm almost pain free. :happy:
  • sandydoyle33
    Options
    Hi Lauren,

No, I haven't tried that. Is it a herbal supplement or is it something you need a prescription for? I am willing to try it, especially if it will help with the pain in my feet.

Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Hi Lauren,

No, I haven't tried that. Is it a herbal supplement or is it something you need a prescription for? I am willing to try it, especially if it will help with the pain in my feet.

Thanks!:flowerforyou:

It's in most health food stores. I buy mine online, it's cheaper. It's a powder that you mix with water and drink. Please google it. It has made a HUGE difference in my life for pain and energy. It's actually been proven to help those with fibromyalgia.
    There is a lot of info on the web. Here's just an example:
    http://chronicfatigue.about.com/od/supplement1/p/dribose.htm

ETA: Which country are you in? I may be able to help you find a good place to order it online. I'm in Canada.
  • sandydoyle33
    Options
    Hi Lauren,

Sorry for the delay in responding. It has been a crazy month so far and for the next couple of weeks will continue to be. I am in Berryville, VA, United States.

Getting ready to go to Puerto Rico with my daughter for about 10 days and stay with my mom while my brother and his family go on vacation. I will have my laptop so I will be checking for messages.

Thanks for the info. Going out to get some stuff for my Mom today and I will look for it. I will let you know if I find it.

Take care.

Talk to you soon.
  • Dugie86
    Dugie86 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you on this journey. I was diagnosed with Fibro 14 years ago. I refuse to allow it to stop me from living my life but I do listen to my body and adjust when I need to.
  • CavyGirl82
    Options
    Hi, I have fibro too (diagnosed finally in 2008). I used to be a size 10 in my twenties, now I'm more a 12-14 and I really dislike what I see in the mirror. I'm a lingerie blogger and take photos of myself so I'm increasingly depressed with how I am.

I've struggled working out regularly because I find it hard judging how far to push myself and I either overdo it or disappoint myself when I can only last 5 minutes. I have fat around my torso and hips that I really want to tone up. My diet needs a shake up and I need to find good exercise that'll increase my fitness and lose a bit of weight.

I've only just signed up today but would love some friends who can empathise with having the fibro - and hopefully encourage eachother!
  • photochik71
    photochik71 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I also have fibro. Got symptoms in 2006, but wasn't diagnosed until a few years later. Exercise definitely helps with my pain more than just laying around! I was sick last week and couldn't believe how badly my back hurt after being on the couch for two days!

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • sandydoyle33
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I am in Puerto Rico visiting and taking care of my Mom while my brother and family are on vacation.

CavyGirl82 - I can definitely relate to what you said. I have been struggling with my weight for a few years now. But it hasn't been until a month ago that I decided to get serious about it. My biggest problem area is my middle and thighs. Yes, it is hard to find that happy medium where you do just enough to not push yourself too hard. Learning to listen to our bodies can be very hard. But, I have learned to err on the side of caution than to push and over do it. I have also learned that some days I can work out for 45 mins. or longer and some days 5 mins. is all I can give. The important thing is that you exercise no matter if it is 30 mins. or 5. At least you are doing something. I haven't seen a big drop in my weight, but I feel better and I am seeing more toned arms and legs.Not sure where you live, but I am fortunate enough to have a fitness facility that works in conjunction with a hospital and offers wellness programs. I started with the functional fitness, which is a program geared towards people with fibro, arthritis and lupus to name a few. But please don't beat yourself up when you can only do 5 mins. of workout. Do what you can when you can and slowly your body will get stronger and your endurance will get better. Don't hesitate to send me a message or note if you ever need encouragement or just to vent to someone (that goes for all you ladies as well).:flowerforyou:

Luluscott71 - Same here, the less active I am the worse it is for me. I try to walk at least 3 miles each day. Most days I achieve that goal and some days I don't. But I still walk for whatever time I feel I can. I tried to go to the fitness center at least 3 times a week and I am getting so much better at watching what I eat.

It does help to log your food, because it is truly an eye opener when you are truthful and put down everything you eat or drink and you learn what areas of your diet need improvement.

Hope you all are feeling better and thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
    :flowerforyou:
  • sandydoyle33
    Options
    Hello Ladies.

Sorry I Haven't been on lately. I have been traveling and having problems with the internet service.

I was in CA for 7 days, picking up my daughter who got medically discharged from the Navy. Then I was home for less than 5 days and had to go to Puerto Rico to stay with my Mom while my brother and his family vacationed in Dominican Republic.

Now I am finally back home and exhausted. I think it is catching up with me because I have been very short fused today and just feeling tired and not right.

So tomorrow I plan on going to workout and then do some minor stuff at home. I miss working out and even though I went for a walk just about every day while in Puerto Rico, I wasn't able to get my water workout.

Hope you all are doing well. Drop me a line when you get a moment and let me know how you are doing.

Take care and talk to you soon

:happy: :flowerforyou: