My back is an ache!!!!

Options
wow29
wow29 Posts: 283 Member
I have been leg stretching to loosen muscles, after a half an hour of stretching, my lower back is TIGHT! So much so, that I cannot stand. Quitting is not an option. Does anyone have any easy and useful exercises for the lower back that yield good results?

Replies

• stanthom
    stanthom Posts: 13
    Options
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    could be an imbalance, weak abs causing back pain

might sound like agony but squats and deadlifts will strengthen lower back.

see a dr
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    What is requiring you to stretch for a half hour?

I also recommend the deadlifts and squats for strengthening your lower back.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, Squats and Deadlifts with PROPER form, will help with lower back issues.

Other issues could be weak core muscles, weak hamstrings and weak glutes. You have to look at the whole trunk and not just the back when it comes to back pain I've learned through the years.

Are you stretching after a workout? Stretching a cold muscle will actually do more harm then good in most cases.

Here are some of the things I do to help with back pain:

*Foam Roll

*Core exercises: Planks, V-holds, L-sits, rollouts

*Back: Superman (different variations), camel stretch, hyperextensions

*Hams and Glutes: Good morning, hip thrusters, Bridge

Theses are just some examples.

As far as the link provided about back pain article, I can't say I agree. I agree with some of the things mentioned, but some things made no sense.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    for myself, leg curls to strength the hammies help my back pain
  • sscantstop
    sscantstop Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not sure I have the answer you looking for....But, Have you thought of getting a Sports Massage it is a type of Swedish Massage that stimulates circulation of blood and lymph fluids. Some sport movements use trigger point therapy to break down the knots in the muscles and increase better range of motion. If you work out a lot I would suggest you call around and locate a therapist who specialize in that category. ( I'm studying to become a massage therapist) It might help and it might not but...its worth a shot. Hope the pain goes away. :(
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    I do arched back good mornings, and have for 25 years. The guy does them correctly in this video. Bend knees and you DO NOT go parallel to the floor doing arched backs.

http://youtu.be/StezxNvkqSs
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Whatever exercise you're doing that is bothering your back, you should stop and give those muscles time to rest and heal. It doesn't mean you have to stop all exercise just do exercises that doesn't involve those sore, tight muscles.

If you continue, you put your back at risk of throwing it out and spending a lot of time on your back or at the Chiropractors office.

Once your back is back to normal you can choose another routine that doesn't irritate your back or slowly pick up the same routine to see if it will tolerate it.
  • kiraleilani
    kiraleilani Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've had a bad back for over 10 years. Core strength helps, but here's the BEST stretches for my lower back... helps every time!

Lay on your back on the floor. Pull one knee into your chest. Breathe deeply a few seconds. Let go of the leg and bring your other knee up to your chest. Breathe deeply.

After you've done a few reps of those, bring both knees up to your chest and breathe deeply. I do this for about five minutes or so and it really helps stretch out the tension in my lower back. HTH.

(Note: If you can't keep your leg straight out while the other one is pulled into your chest, bending your knee slightly and resting the sole of your foot on the ground is completely ok too, and makes the stretch gentler.)
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for posting! I am quite out of shape and have to keep at it!