Maintaining after gaining.

Options
(BG INFO: Recovering from eating disorder, 20 year old female, BMI 20)

I'd been eating a weight gain amount for quite a while and I'm now planning on maintaining my weight. I do 30 minutes of cardio, 5 times a week. I was wondering how I should go about maintaining? Is there a number of calories I can go by? A website that could give me an estimate? Everywhere I look, there's only tips on how to lose weight but no tips on how to maintain your weight.

I usually eat around 1400-1600 calories a day and go above 2000 calories on weekends and when I go out with friends and stuff. Is that too much of food? I've been experiencing extreme hunger ever since I started recovering. The extreme hunger is diminishing a bit but I still have days where I go out of control and binge up to 3000 calories. I never compensate for my binges by eating less, because I know that'd only result in more binging. I'm so confused as to how maintenance works.

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you're recovering from an ED, I would talk to the doctor and hopefully nutritionist you're working with.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I would agree that your doctor is your best avenue. However, your caloric intake and exercise routine sound similar to mine and I've been maintaining for several years now. Sounds like you are very committed to living a healthy lifestyle. Good luck in your recovery!
  • Merzane
    Merzane Posts: 3
    Options
    Congratulations on your recovery! You might consider getting an activity tracker so that you can track your estimated calorie burn against your food intake. I use a FitBit, but there are several good brands to choose from. Using an activity tracker reduces the guess work. Good luck!!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    The scales are the best indiciation.

If you're ok doing so, I'd use an app like 'libra' which averages regular weigh-ins to give you an idea of your deficit/surplus.

It's quite possible your calorie needs will slowly rise.

1400-1600 sounds like weight-loss calorie levels, which may explain hunger and binging.
  • andrea394
    andrea394 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm also 20 and recovered from an eating disorder. The maintenance calories that my dietitian gave me was 2100-2400 calories, but I really struggle to reach that. I would suggest upping your calories to closer to 2000 to try and combat the extreme hunger.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hey, it is a good thing that you are satisfied with your current weight and you don't have to worry about losing or gaining weight. Following tips may help you to maintain your weight.
    # calculate your BMI, it is the best indication of ideal weight.
    # Cheak your metabolic rate.
    # YOu have to focus on RMR, notice how much calories you are taking in a day.
    # Compare your RMR and calories you are taking.
    # Keep your normal exercise continue.