question about calories

Options
When I started my diet and joined myfitness, my calorie goal was at 1510 per day. After I lost 10 lbs, the program reduced my calories to like 1150 per day. Everything I read says, do not go below 1200 calories per day or your body will go into starvation mode. What should I do?:noway:

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? How much do you currently weigh? Did you adjust your calorie target to lose 2 lbs per week?

For example: I'm 5'7 42 years old and lose weight eating 1600-1900 daily
  • LoraleiDean
    LoraleiDean Posts: 100
    Options
    If you are concerned, just eat at 1200 cal/day.
    Your weight loss will slow down, but keep up with your exercise and you will remain healthy.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    When I started my diet and joined myfitness, my calorie goal was at 1510 per day. After I lost 10 lbs, the program reduced my calories to like 1150 per day. Everything I read says, do not go below 1200 calories per day or your body will go into starvation mode. What should I do?:noway:

recheck the data entry, that's not correct at all.

I would stick with the 1510/day

1200 is not enough for most people.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned, just eat at 1200 cal/day.
    Your weight loss will slow down, but keep up with your exercise and you will remain healthy.

Why 1200??? That is almost always not necessary
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Something must be wrong...MFP doesn't let anyone go below 1200. Are you sure your height, weight, age, gender, etc are all correct? Are you sure you didn't custom set something?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

A reduction from 1510 to 1150 because of a 10 pound loss? That isn't right at all, something happened with the way you entered your goals or something then.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    If you tell it two pounds per week and that would put you below 1200 it just puts you at 1.5 pounds per week and 1200 minimum. For example, I'm short and sedentary, it won't acknowledge that I could lose 2 pounds a week anymore because it would put me under 1200. Also, did you change settings to sedentary from active or something?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

1200 is a generalization and not a magic number at which your body switches to starvation mode. But, like others have said, this doesn't seem right. Which app are you using (iPhone, android, PC, other?). How tall are you? How much do you have to lose? What activity level did you set? How many lbs per week did say you wanted to lose?
  • ljminto
    ljminto Posts: 52
    Options
    i set it back to 1300. i intend to keep up the exercise, if for no other reason, it makes me feel good! thanks for the input :)
  • ljminto
    Options
    i havent customer set anything...im not too sure why it set me at that because i know less than 1200 calories is not good for you. im gonna go back and check my settings, but i dont think anything is set wrong?? idk
  • ljminto
    Options
    you know, i went and checked and i did have my settings at sedentary. i have just set it to lightly active and it raised my target to 1450. thanks for your input! :)
  • ljminto
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! I think this will fix itself now. When I first started MFP, I was sendentary. Now, I sit behind a desk several hours a day, but exercise and work out daily. I have changed my activity to lightly active, and my target is now 1450. More realistic..lol
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    If you lost 10 lbs I'd be hesitant to change anything at all. It's obviously working. Save calorie reduction for when you stall out.