how can i eat healthy at school?

Options
at my school its much easier to go to the vending machines in-between classes than stand in line for food. because of my bad choices, i gained 10 pounds in one semester ! now this semester I'm just really scared that I'm going to fall back into my bad habits! what do i do?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Simple solution - Bring your own food! No waiting, and healthy chocies! There are plenty of easy on-the go friendly foods to eat. Nuts, cut-up fresh veggies (carrots, celery, cucumber, etc.), wraps or sandwiches. If you don't mind eating something that uses utensils, leftovers from dinner (assuming dinner was healthy) is easy to bring in tupperware, as are large salads with some cut-up chicken breast or ground turkey or whatever protein of choice you like.

Tupperware and plastic baggies are your friends - it's NOT that hard to bring your own foods, I promise. You have to just make yourself do it and once you get used to the routine, it's not big deal.

Edited to add: lunchboxes are much cooler these days, and you can buy a thin insulated lunchbox and some small re-usable ice packs if you need to keep anythign cool for an extended period. They're not too expensive and are easy to use.
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    I'm in college too. DEFINITELY bring your owwwn food! you save so much money, dont have to stand in line, and you eat better! also, Read 'the dorm room diet' by daphne oz. definitely changed the way I look at food, and I could no longer blame my weight gain on college.
  • erinkaha
    Options
    Even if you do eat at school, wait in line because you do burn more calories standing than sitting.
  • wawa39
    wawa39 Posts: 12
    Options
    I agree bring a bag of 100 calorie foods.Some of my faves is to roll up deli turkey and lacey swiss cheese,Apple and almonds, Sugar free pudding with a little cereal on top for texture a banana with a tablespoon of Nutella and carrots,peppers and celery with hummus .
  • mrssturgeon7911
    mrssturgeon7911 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I've gained over 40 lbs in college. Yuck. Like an above poster said, tupperware is your friend! I constantly have snacks or food in my bag! Me and a friend are doing a challenge at work (we work in a restaurant) to not eat any of the food there either. Set yourself a goal "I will bring my lunch 3 times this week" and keep upping it til it's all week! :)
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    i know that sometimes its impossible to bring your own food at college. eat at the cafeteria and just wait in the lines, remind yourself that like erinkaha said, waiting in the line WILL actually burn more calories and that vending machines are evil XD. dont be like me and gain 70 lbs during three years.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    i know that sometimes its impossible to bring your own food at college. eat at the cafeteria and just wait in the lines, remind yourself that like erinkaha said, waiting in the line WILL actually burn more calories and that vending machines are evil XD. dont be like me and gain 70 lbs during three years.

Although I agree that sometimes you just have to make the best choices with what you have (ex. when you have to run unplanned errands after work and need to grab something to eat while you're out), I don't believe that it's ever "impossible" to bring your own food, especially in a scenario like school. It just requires some advanced planning. Takes some effort at first - but always worth it! :drinker: Sometimes what they offer at the fast food/cafe/cafeteria places aren't much better than vending machines! :laugh: