Morning Runners

Options
2»

Replies

• TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Coffee and a banana and a couple puffs of my inhaler :-)
  • CaptainJAG_37
    Options
    I run early in the morning. 5am usually. The only thing I have before the run is some water. I average between 4-6 miles per run
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I don't function unless I have coffee in the morning. So, no matter what, I have coffee. I always run before I eat. If I am doing more than 7 or 8 miles, I have something small like a banana or granola bar or I will literally run out of energy before I am finished with my run.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning runner. Straight out of the bed into my sneaks onto the pavement. I love working up an appetite while running and enjoying the California morning air. I'm always hydrated (drinks water only).

It's an old habit from the marine corp to run/pt before breakfast.
  • crlcmt
    crlcmt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning runner also (head out around 5:30 am) and usually just have water prior to my run on weekdays (usually 3.5-5 miles). If I'm going longer I have some toast or a bar before, but it took me some time to figure out what my stomach could handle prior to runs.

Most important - listen to your body and figure out what you need. And stick with it! :-)
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I run Tues/Thurs in the evenings and Saturday in the morning. On Saturday I run before I eat or drink anything. I feel lighter and more comfortable running with less on my tummy.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    IF I eat before a morning training run, I feel sick and my run suffers. I wake up before races in *plenty* of time to eat. I'll have half an english muffin before short races, and a small plain bagel with peanut butter for half marathons. I ate a big bagel, peanut butter and a banana before my marathon....it was a bit too much! I've run up to 12 miles training on no breakfast at all. And I don't drink coffee....plus too much caffeine pre-run gives me the trots!!!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    If I run in the morning, I just have 2 cups of coffee, 2 cups of water, use the bathroom and head out. If it's a little later in the day, I eat a banana or a mini bagel with a some peanut butter.
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a piece of toast with peanut butter before my races or weekend races. I probably drink about 2-3 cups before I actually set out and run (1-1.5 hours from the time I wake up to running time).
  • xRedRockerx
    xRedRockerx Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't like exercising on an empty stomach so I always make sure I have something before I exercise in a morning. Usually it'll be a few pieces of fruit and then I have my larger breakfast when I get back, although if I'm especially hungry I'll have a Weetabix.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I guess it just comes down to trial and error.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything before a morning run. I can't run after just eating something. I definitely eat after I run though.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    depends on the length of the run. short runs a cup of coffee and a banana. longer runs (90+ minutes) and i might have a pb & j with that banana and coffee. i also won't run quite as soon as i get up.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I guess it just comes down to trial and error.

it really does. every run doesn't have to be perfect. you can just run to test your fueling needs.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I like running in the morning, but haven't needed to yet with current temps and my generous office culture.

However, when I do, I have to take a shower and walk around a bit first (sore heels) and I eat a banana because I am perpetually hungry.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I get fluid before a run - good old diet Pepsi- and head out. Did my first Half Marathon without eating before mile 7 or so when I had some weird chocolate goo that made me really thirsty. Should have skipped it. I would have been fine.

Of course diet Pepsi isn't the best fluid but it is my one bad habit. Oh well.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I typically eat a light breakfast (yogurt, smoothie, etc) and have my coffee, then run. If I run before I get anything in my system, I'm likely to have a low blood sugar.

In the summer, morning is the ONLY time to run here in the Mid Atlantic because it's hot as balls later in the day. :(
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I have toast & water & a caffeinated beverage. But I wait 15-45 min before running