Addicted to cardio!

Options
13»

Replies

• MrsC1st
    MrsC1st Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Not the best way to lose weight. If your nutrition isn't right with that duration of cardio, then lean muscle will be lost. And that LOWERS your metabolic rate. A lower metabolic rate will happen with weight loss and calorie deficit already, but this would accelerate lowering the rate even more. And with hardly any strength training (5lbs weights aren't really strength training and all those sets are geared towards endurance) lean muscle loss will be also accelerated leaving you with a higher fat/lower muscle ratio composition (also known as skinny/fat).
    I've seen this scenario many many times because I've had so many prior clients attempt the same. Unless you're training for an event, or are a competitor for endurance events, there really isn't any reason to do cardio for more than an hour. Yes you'll burn more calories, but there's a line on how the body responds to burning energy based on nutritional intake. And honestly, it doesn't sound like you have that down correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thanks for your advice.
  • MrsC1st
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies to this question, as I'm new to exercising and could use all of the advise I could get. I use the elliptical machine for one hour and thirty minutes, stationary bike for one hour, and treadmill for one hour, seven days a week. I eat fourteen hundred and fifty to fifteen hundred calories on most days; on occasion I may go a little over by one hundred to two hundred calories. I don't believe in dieting, but I believe in everything in moderation and I try to choose healthier food options. I'm 5'4 and 192 pounds. Please keep the advice coming.

Seeing that just leaves me with one word ....

Why?

I had no idea of how much exercise I should be doing, so I'm glad to have a place to ask questions and get good advice.

Step back and figure out what your goals really are then base your nutrition and exercise plans to reach those goals. It takes some homework and thought.

A lot of exercise is not necessarily a bad thing but there needs to be a logic behind it along with proper fueling. Not knowing what or how much to do and jumping straight to doing a lot of everything does not look like a plan.

I've already spoken of what my goals are in one of my post, so I know what my goals are. I would like to be one hundred fifty pounds by September, my caloric intake is fourteen hundred to fifteen hundred calories a day. Do you have any suggestions that I can use to modify the things that I'm already doing?
  • MrsC1st
    Options
    first of all, if you're doing all that you say you're doing, at your height and weight, I would guess you're burning way more calories than 600-some. I go on a low estimate of calories burnt and I easily burn what 500-600 in a single hour of high-intensity cardio. Second, if you've got that big of a deficit and you're working out three hours, you need to be fueling your body better by eating back calories. How long have you been doing this, and have you seen any results?
    Also, cardio alone, let alone that much is NOT the best way to lose weight and get a better body. A few hours of cardio a week is really all you need. Strength training will do more for your weight loss and toning, and if you do it right, it'll still get your heart pumping and the sweat running. There are plenty of studies floating around that show too much cardio can actually hinder your weight loss. I fell into this trap early in my weight loss journey--I was working out 7 days a week, doing 30 day shred, then 20-30 minutes of cardio, then 20-30 minutes of cardio. I lost a lot for a few weeks, then stalled out. Now I run 3 days a week for about 30-35 minutes and doing strength training 3x a week for an hour each, and I'm losing about 1-2.5lb a week.

"If your doing all of the things that you say you are doing" Really! First of all, there's one thing that I don't do; and that's lie to myself. What good would it do me to say that I'm doing exercise that I'm not doing. Read my previous post that clearly stated that I have been burning up to one thousand to elven hundred calories per day. Yes, I have seen results, my clothes don't fit, lower numbers on the scale, face much thinner etc. However, its good to hear from people that have been down the road that I'm trying to discover. Thanks for the advice and understanding and I will reduce my cardio.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    How much have you lost and how fast??? I guess if it's worth it to you ?? I personally know I can't work out 3-4 hrs a day and maintain that. I work part time and have 2 busy kids. I spend time doing other things. You can come up with a good quality workout in 1 hour. And if I was going to work out for 3 hrs I would not do cardio the whole time. 10 lb weights are ok but I'm guessing you can lift a lot more!!!

I've lost thirty pounds in sixty days. I guess I'll be doing a lot of cutting back, thanks to the advice I've received here. I do other things too, but I have learned to take care of myself too. I became fat by always giving my all to everyone else, while losing myself. I have been lifting five pound weights, now I think I'll try the ten pound weights. Thanks for your advice
    so I do think you need to reassess things. Losing 0.5 lb a day is not a healthy rate and you will have better success keeping the weight off if you take it off slowly. Do you realize you are losing muscle at a rapid rate by doing this??? I'm not sure you will be happy with the result and you are creating unhealthy habits. Think about what you want to do long term. Can you really keep up the 3-4 hrs of cardio with inadequate fuel forever? Probably not. Create something you can sustain the rest of your life. Eat a healthy balanced diet, Add in a few days of cardio and a few days of strength. Not 3 hours. 1 hour. If you want to be active that's great but do something with your family or friends, not just sitting on an elliptical for hours on end. Many people that go this extreme do not keep it up and go back to old habits.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies to this question, as I'm new to exercising and could use all of the advise I could get. I use the elliptical machine for one hour and thirty minutes, stationary bike for one hour, and treadmill for one hour, seven days a week. I eat fourteen hundred and fifty to fifteen hundred calories on most days; on occasion I may go a little over by one hundred to two hundred calories. I don't believe in dieting, but I believe in everything in moderation and I try to choose healthier food options. I'm 5'4 and 192 pounds. Please keep the advice coming.

Why?

I had no idea of how much exercise I should be doing, so I'm glad to have a place to ask questions and get good advice.

Step back and figure out what your goals really are then base your nutrition and exercise plans to reach those goals. It takes some homework and thought.

A lot of exercise is not necessarily a bad thing but there needs to be a logic behind it along with proper fueling. Not knowing what or how much to do and jumping straight to doing a lot of everything does not look like a plan.

I've already spoken of what my goals are in one of my post, so I know what my goals are. I would like to be one hundred fifty pounds by September, my caloric intake is fourteen hundred to fifteen hundred calories a day. Do you have any suggestions that I can use to modify the things that I'm already doing?

Yes I do. First, reevaluate your goal. Right now you have an arbitrary number on a scale to reach by an arbitrary date which put you on an unhealthy glidepath. The 3-4 pounds per week required to reach 150 by 1 September simply is not sustainable. Second, run the numbers on your exercise and intake. 3-4 pound per week lost requires in the neighborhood of 1500-2000 worth of deficit per day. Couple that with the 1500 or less you claim as intake and you're drastically undereating. There is no way you're getting the nutrients your body needs with your current course of action. Third, do some homework on exercise and nutrition.

From there you can proceed on a safe, sustainable, healthy loss plan.
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Overtraining is definitely a possibility. Look up the symptoms, keep them in your head, and pay attention to your body. If you're doing alright, there's no reason I can think of not to exercise as much as you want to. Just make sure you're eating enough for it.

^^^^ This pretty much sums it up. Well said!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as over-training. Additionally, with any exercise you get to a point of diminishing returns on your "investment". To that end, I would also advise balancing out all of that cardio with some actual weight training...like an actual program, not just picking up a couple 5 Lb dumbbells. My wife's purse weighs more than 5 Lbs so give me a break with all of that.

You also have to consider that your fitness needs to be sustainable...it's far more important to maintain your fitness in maintenance than it is for losing weight. You should probably establish some actual fitness goals that go beyond calories and weight loss and what-not...failure to do so is just going to leave you lost when you get to maintenance because you will not have discovered the true benefits of your fitness.

Use your diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    you work out 210 minutes a day and eat 1450 calories? Seriously? Yes you are over-exercising for your caloric intake. To give you some perspective -- I am a high performance athlete who routinely burns 2000kcal a day 6x a week and I generally eat 4000-4500kcal a day (a bit more when I am trying to build muscle, a bit less when I am trying to cut fat). Exercise is fine if you have a goal but it should not take over your life or become a compulsion and you need to fuel your body properly.
  • MrsC1st
    Options

Why?

Yes I do. First, reevaluate your goal. Right now you have an arbitrary number on a scale to reach by an arbitrary date which put you on an unhealthy glidepath. The 3-4 pounds per week required to reach 150 by 1 September simply is not sustainable. Second, run the numbers on your exercise and intake. 3-4 pound per week lost requires in the neighborhood of 1500-2000 worth of deficit per day. Couple that with the 1500 or less you claim as intake and you're drastically undereating. There is no way you're getting the nutrients your body needs with your current course of action. Third, do some homework on exercise and nutrition.

From there you can proceed on a safe, sustainable, healthy loss plan.

Thanks! Any additional advice is welcomed
  • MrsC1st
    Options
    Overtraining is definitely a possibility. Look up the symptoms, keep them in your head, and pay attention to your body. If you're doing alright, there's no reason I can think of not to exercise as much as you want to. Just make sure you're eating enough for it.

^^^^ This pretty much sums it up. Well said!

Thanks for your input
  • MrsC1st
    Options
    There is such a thing as over-training. Additionally, with any exercise you get to a point of diminishing returns on your "investment". To that end, I would also advise balancing out all of that cardio with some actual weight training...like an actual program, not just picking up a couple 5 Lb dumbbells. My wife's purse weighs more than 5 Lbs so give me a break with all of that.

You also have to consider that your fitness needs to be sustainable...it's far more important to maintain your fitness in maintenance than it is for losing weight. You should probably establish some actual fitness goals that go beyond calories and weight loss and what-not...failure to do so is just going to leave you lost when you get to maintenance because you will not have discovered the true benefits of your fitness.

Use your diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.

Thanks
  • MrsC1st
    Options
    you work out 210 minutes a day and eat 1450 calories? Seriously? Yes you are over-exercising for your caloric intake. To give you some perspective -- I am a high performance athlete who routinely burns 2000kcal a day 6x a week and I generally eat 4000-4500kcal a day (a bit more when I am trying to build muscle, a bit less when I am trying to cut fat). Exercise is fine if you have a goal but it should not take over your life or become a compulsion and you need to fuel your body properly.

Thanks for your input