Fresh VS. Frozen

Options
Frozen chicken breast vs. fresh chicken.
Frozen has alot more salt and cheaper. Here where I live is $20.00 a box with about 15 breast.
Fresh chicken, low salt or no salt. 25.00 for 4 breast.
or
Fresh chicken thighs or drummies for afforable price, skin it and boil it. Could boil the frozen as well to eliminate most salt.

What is the better choice by far! Yes you would say fresh but Im trying to get away from the cost.

What do you do?

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If cost is the issue, definitely go with frozen.
  • Dom80
    Dom80 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    We cant be perfect in everything. So you buy frozen chicken, thats ok. As long as you watch your sodium content overall, its not a bad thing.

Maybe for your fruits and veggies only buy those fresh to limit the sodium content.
  • luvslife2
    Options
    I found out a few weeks ago one of the reasons why frozen is cheaper than fresh. I'm assuming you're referring to frozen "Boxed" chicken breasts. On the box there will be the statement something like "10% Meat Protein" or "13% Meat Protein" ... you get the general idea. I always thought that the meat protein referred to just that - meat protein....wrong! I have a friend who works in the Deli Dept in a Supermarket and she told me that it actually refers to the % of water in the meat! Imagine! This applies to all meat products...frozen, deli meats and watch for it in the fresh products when they are water chilled/air chilled...etc. The best is always CO2 or air chilled. Also, If you were to take a chicken breast from the box and a fresh one, both the same weight and cook them... the frozen one will actually be smaller when cooked because of the added water. I've been staying away from the boxed meat since I found this out. and eating fresh "real" meat. Much more satisfying. Hope this helps :-)
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Try going to the grocer early in the morning if you can. Usually you can get cuts of meat for a fraction of the price because they're trying to get rid of stock from the day before. I'd always recommend fresh just because I do what I can to keep sodium as low as possible.
  • HotMomma86
    Options
    I buy the family or bulk packages fresh, then come home and separate them into freezer bags and freeze them. The only pre-frozen items I buy and veggies.
  • rachaelski
    Options
    Depending on where you live, buying directly from a farm might be an option. We get a weekly Community Sustained Agriculture box of produce from an organic farm here. They also sell organic, free range meats (not chicken though) cheaper than you would get non-organic meat at the grocery.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I live where I have very limited resouces. Its like take it leave it. So Im forced to do the best I can. I drive myself nuts sometimes. Thanks for the comments. I will still take it in consideration.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I personally buy fresh everything...fresh meat, fresh veggies, fresh fruit...and if I want it frozen and saved for later, I do that myself.