Food Ideas for Potluck

Options
Need an idea for potluck, that is good/high volume/low calorie. By high volume, I mean I can have a good size portion of it. We have a cookout for Fathers day on Saturday with my family. I am brining my own meat (not eating hot dogs) and then I need to bring a side to share. My family is pretty adverterious with food, so wierd is good. I am bringing SF Jello Jigglers (little bit obcessed with them this week), but that seems like an odd side with Steak. We will be at my aunts house, so I have access to kitchen and everything.

Replies

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Need an idea for potluck, that is good/high volume/low calorie. By high volume, I mean I can have a good size portion of it. We have a cookout for Fathers day on Saturday with my family. I am brining my own meat (not eating hot dogs) and then I need to bring a side to share. My family is pretty adverterious with food, so wierd is good. I am bringing SF Jello Jigglers (little bit obcessed with them this week), but that seems like an odd side with Steak. We will be at my aunts house, so I have access to kitchen and everything.
    Bring zucchinis and portobello mushrooms. Just wash them, slice the ends off the zukes, season w/ s&p and grill them whole, turning occasionally.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I've always loved 'Asian Coleslaw' - cabbage whatever colour you like shredded finely, shreds of carrot, sliced almonds, fresh mushrooms sliced, green onions, bean sprouts, celery chopped fine, crunch up a package of those ramen noodles and throw them in. Top with Rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, black sesame seeds and soy sauce or Bragg's amino's and you've got it (you can add a bit of the seasoning packet for the ramen into the dressing but it can get very salty).

Easy fast tasty and you can choose how many nuts & noodles you want for calorie watching.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I like little caprese apps. Like cherry tomato, basil, fresh mozzi on a toothpick. Olive oil an s&p. They seem to always go quick at potlucks. Easy, affordable, and healthy.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Fruit or veggie tray or a fruit salad
  • WoWkat
    WoWkat Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'd bring a Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad - nice and refreshing for a hot day
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'd bring a Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad - nice and refreshing for a hot day

that sounds delicious to me!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've always loved 'Asian Coleslaw' - cabbage whatever colour you like shredded finely, shreds of carrot, sliced almonds, fresh mushrooms sliced, green onions, bean sprouts, celery chopped fine, crunch up a package of those ramen noodles and throw them in. Top with Rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, black sesame seeds and soy sauce or Bragg's amino's and you've got it (you can add a bit of the seasoning packet for the ramen into the dressing but it can get very salty).

Easy fast tasty and you can choose how many nuts & noodles you want for calorie watching.

I second this. I've had it and it is delicious.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Can't go wrong with chili! I also make a really good southwestern veggie soup that has a kick, but is full of good deliciousness. Uses tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and any beans you want, along with a can of drained low sodium corn.
    For more traditional barbeque stuff, I make a greek pasta salad. I use tri color rotini, fat free feta, a little greek vinaigrette, sliced cherry tomatoes and cucumbers, and sliced black olives. Really filling, and I can eat a ton without busting my macros.
  • Chickie25
    Chickie25 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    In for ideas... also have a potluck on Sunday
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    My version of Asian Coleslaw includes chopped steamed broccoli and some diced red bell pepper. Recently I've been adding kale and sliced brussels sprouts. I use the shredded cabbage ready for slaw that you find in bags next to all the other bagged salads in the produce department. Saves me tons of time. I also use Ken's Steakhouse Lite Asian Ginger Sesame Dressing. It is only 70 cals per tablespoon and I use half to 3/4 of a bottle when using two bags of shredded cabbage and other items mentioned.

I do NOT add the seasoning packet because it is loaded with sodium and the bottled dressing is very delicious.

A hefty 2 cup serving is about 200 calories. I live on this stuff most of the summer and have a bowl of it in the fridge now. Whip together the night before or early that morning so the ramen noodles can absorb the dressing and the veggies have a chance to marinate a bit too. I will stir it a couple of times while it is marinating so ingredients and dressing are well distributed.
  • melaniedsm
    melaniedsm Posts: 55
    Options
    So this is what i ended up bringing and it was super good.

12 ears Corn cut off the cob
    Few handfulls of spinach
    1c of fresh Basil Leaves
    1c of cut up red peppers
    Purple onion
    1/4c Olive Oil Dressing by Bolthouse Farms

Then I brought a bag of tortilla chips. I ate it as a side and others ate it as like cowboy salsa with the chips. I also brought a big thing of jello jigglers.