Day 1 - Looking for friends and support

Options
mahopper2008
mahopper2008 Posts: 22 Member
Hey all. This is day 1 of my journey. I need to lose about 100 pounds. I am desperately wanting to lose the 30 pounds I gained when I had my son 2 years ago. My husband and I would like to try to have a second child in about a year but I cannot imagine adding more baby weight to the 100 pounds I already need to lose. I am following a physician weight loss plan. I am new to MFP and online tracking etc, but not new to trying to lose weight. The most success I have had was losing 40 lbs with Weight Watchers in 2008.

1. What things have you done that you feel like have helped you to be most successful?
2. What do you do to keep yourself motivated?

Replies

• Ronunderwood
    Ronunderwood Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey. Physical exercise, including yoga, strength training, swimming and walking, improves my quality of life, and weight maintenance.
    My biggest motivator is Jesus Christ, for my body is his tabernacle, on loan, and I am obligated to care for it properly.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Sent you a friend request!

For motivation I looked at my family, and that I want to live a long and healthy life as best as I can. I was also not happy being over 230 pounds.

Ive been on my journey for a few years now. The weight loss has been slow, but I've kept it off. I'm at my all time lowest since starting and will never see the 200s again!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of fruit and veggies. I try to fill at least 2/3 of my plate up with fruit and veggies. I drink a ton of water. I am pretty full after all that. Motivation is all in my head. I signed up for a 5k in August which means I need to push myself to do the couch to 5k program (free). I want to look great in a bikini. I want to be healthy
  • blueeeyes100
    Options
    You can do it! I am no expert, nor have I reached my goals yet on MFP, however, i really do feel it helps hold me accountaable and as time goes by, i notice my triggers, i see where i come up short, or have over eaten, and i can focus on the areas' i need to work on.

What have I done to feel successful and my motivation- Logging my food intake and exercise, make sure to take a look at my log here on MFP everyday in order to give me some self motivation, and start the day off saying "todays a new day, time to do better and work towards a healthier me".

You can't put yourself down for the way you look, or even be upset that you didn't accomplish your goals yesterday, however, you can say i'm going to focus on making those healthy choices, eating more fruits and greens, and when you begin to see results, it will start to feel good.

good luck!
  • iluvmyhome
    iluvmyhome Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love carbs, but cutting down on them and increasing my protein and exercise has led to the only successful weight loss I've ever had (there's my motivation). It's amazing how much carbs/sugars you can consume in a day if you're not careful; MFP is a great tool to keep track of everything and find a good balance! Good luck!!!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Hey all. This is day 1 of my journey. I need to lose about 100 pounds. I am desperately wanting to lose the 30 pounds I gained when I had my son 2 years ago. My husband and I would like to try to have a second child in about a year but I cannot imagine adding more baby weight to the 100 pounds I already need to lose. I am following a physician weight loss plan. I am new to MFP and online tracking etc, but not new to trying to lose weight. The most success I have had was losing 40 lbs with Weight Watchers in 2008.

1. What things have you done that you feel like have helped you to be most successful?
    Log everything. Weigh everything. Be honest when I can't weigh my foods. Listen to other success stories on here (and even when people tell me something I may not want to here I appreciate their honesty). When I have a bad meal or day (calorie wise) just start again with the next opportunity. Exercise to eat more.

Read success stories. Enjoying my clothes fitting better. Knowing that I can do it.

Feel free to add me for support!
  • kmkylemo
    kmkylemo Posts: 1,103
    Options
    Veggies, fruits, and lean meats are your best bets with the majority being veggies. My daughter is my main motivation as well as wanting to look and feel good.
  • PizzaMimi1
    PizzaMimi1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You will love this site! I've been here 44 days and lost 7.5 lbs. I have never tracked calories before and I love how easy it is with the food database they have. I also love that my exercise pulls in from Map my Ride & Map my Run.
  • shannonsjourney1
    shannonsjourney1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You took the first step and signed up for myfitnesspal!! feel free to add me :)
  • AylaL13
    AylaL13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new her too. I've only been on the app and just realized today there was a forum! I added you as a friend.

Support from others is what helps me stay focused and keep up with my tracking. I'm still getting the hang of it but it is definitely easier when I have other people in my corner pushing me, helping me, and just there for me.
  • vr482001
    vr482001 Posts: 3
    Options
    This is day 1 for me also. I need all the help and motivation I can get. I want to get a healthier body and need to loose 60+ pounds. Any tips and ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for everyone's help.
  • samanthafinnie
    samanthafinnie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    I am newer to this site as well, only like a week and half! Now what i am doing is really cutting down my carbs, upping my protein. You really dont notice how many carbs you eat till you track it-- it is kind of disgusting!!! I also get out and do something pretty much everyday (if not twice a day)-- either run, walk, or go to the gym.
    Now the main thing that keeps me motivated is my mom--she has almost lost 100} on ideal protein! I am so proud of her, and if she can lose 100+ i think i can lose 30 lb. The other thing that keeps me motivated is the people on the website. Having a motivation buddy or joining some of the groups or looking at the forms. Feel free to add me!
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    When I was on Jenny Craig I was the most successful. But it became too expensive for me, and the soy in all of their food was bad for my thyroid.

My friends on here are what keep me motivated!

Feel free to add me! :happy:
  • KateDegnan
    KateDegnan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat you are. I'm looking to lose about 100 pounds, about 40 of it is baby weight from have my son in August 2012. I find this site very helpful. I'm more aware of what I'm eating now that I'm recording everything. I'm downs about 2 pounds in the last 2 weeks. :)
  • ChaiMagic
    ChaiMagic Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 1 too. Let's do this together!

So far, the thing that's been helping me with snacking is realizing that I'm just snacking because I'm bored, not hungry. That's stopped a lot of snacks today alone.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options

A) Just don't quit. Log everything you eat and drink no matter what.

B) I watch this>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgmVOuLgFB0
  • mimismommy11
    mimismommy11 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm sending you a request! I'm trying to lose the weight I gained from my pregnancy (my daughter is now 2 1/2 yikes) and I was overweight to begin with! We're hoping to try for a second towards the end of this year or early next year. I won't be at my goal when we are TTC, but I intend on working on it before, during and after!
  • mahopper2008
    mahopper2008 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I needed to lose weight before having baby now I have baby weight to lose on top of that. I just cannot imagine more to that with a second baby. When what your baby born? My son is 2.5 born January 2012.
  • MJZO
    MJZO Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm excited for you. Posting on this forum is a huge first step and a testament to your courage. Do it for you first and your family will reap the rewards of a healthy and happy mommy and wife.
  • cindyleigh1967
    cindyleigh1967 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just signed up today too. I'm aiming to lose 1.5 lbs per week. Currently at 227 (my all time high) and I'd like to get down to 165.

I've yo-yo'd for the past 20 years but having seen the highest number ever on the scale this morning I know that I need to do something.

I'd love support.

Not crazy about logging what I eat ...but I suppose it does keep you honest and on track.