Gym Humiliation

Options
I'm considering joining a gym close to my flat but feel very uncomfortable about starting because of my weight. At my last gym I was one of the minority of overweight people and only felt comfortable to start as I had a gym partner. Now I won't have a gym partner for the most part and feel I need to lose weight to feel better about going to the gym (face palm inserted here!).

Does anyone else feel like this?

How did you get around it? Did you bite the bullet and just go or does anyone have any tips for feeling more comfortable when going alone?

With an office job/sitting around all day and having an under active thyroid I can't just eat healthy and get exercise in my day to day activities - I don't think there is any other option other than public humiliation!...I mean gym going/park jogging....eesh! :embarassed:

Replies

• Rubber_Band_Girl
    Options
    Thanks, I think I will just go ahead and do it. I just let my head take over too much sometimes and focus on what I think others are thinking! :smile:
  • Sherbear1109
    Sherbear1109 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This. If the gym is how you like to go about it, then you should go for it. :-) If you're really that nervous though, you could try working out at home. I do Zumba and that gives me a pretty good cardio workout. There are a ton of other excercise programs that can be done at home, too. You can find a lot of full length workout videos on YouTube or games for the Kinnect and Wii. Whatever floats your boat. Best of luck to you.
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    To the OP.... suck it up and go. Plan your workout in advance and go in and do it. That way you aren't standing around trying to figure out what you're going to do next. You will look confident even if you aren't , I'm all about faking it until you make it. You might just surprise yourself. Bodybuilding.com has plenty of programs for all fitness levels for free. Print it out and take it with you . At home videos do work, but it does nothing for the issue at hand. Trust me, the longer you put it off, the more you can justify not going and that insecure feeling will no go away. I've been there. I've always put it off as being shy, but it's insecurity. You'll love yourself even more when you get out there and do this for you. Confidence will come!!! Good luck.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Remember: everyone had to start somewhere.... these people at the gym were most likely.. at one time were either too thin or too fat..

No one starts out awsome.... ^^
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Remember: everyone had to start somewhere.... these people at the gym were most likely.. at one time were either too thin or too fat..

Totally agree. I may feel old and flabby compared to the young slim girls but they can't lift as heavy as me so that's my claim to fame that make me feel better.
  • Hanowenho
    Hanowenho Posts: 24
    Options
    go early in the morning or late at night-this way you avoid the people who go just to mess around! this way there's only the people who focus on their workout!
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    “You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.”

No one cares! Go to the gym, get sweaty, and don't worry about anyone except yourself!
  • PinkPanther318
    PinkPanther318 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I was really embarrassed about going to a gym also because I didn't want everyone to stare at the fat person. So I started out taking classes and hid in the back- still do lol. When I use the machines I put in my Ipod and feel like the only person up there even though I am not. I guess now I go and don't care what people think because I go to get healthy and lose weight and I feel great when I leave :) Join a gym it really does it better! Plus I swim but I am still definitely not confident in a swim suit I just wanna hide till I get in the pool ;) but then when I get there I realize there are other heavy people in there doing the same thing I am. Good luck :)
  • yesterdayusaid2morrow
    Options
    Ah yeah, been there, but seriously, just go and I promise the feeling fades. Anyone judging is an unhappy douche canoe and most people don't even care/notice, they're doing their thing! Own that joint!!! Best wishes.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    “You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.”

No one cares! Go to the gym, get sweaty, and don't worry about anyone except yourself!

Ha, that's a good quote.
  • STORMY_SEAS8
    Options
    I have been working out at the gym alone since the beginning of my journey. I just put my headphones on and a hat and tune everybody out. In the end it does not matter what other people think of you. It is all about how you think about yourself. :heart:
  • lessbounce
    lessbounce Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You'll probably be amazed at the different shapes and sizes you get in the gym. Like the other posts have suggested everybody is too busy doing their own thing too be noticing any one else. (Most of the vain ones will be too busy looking in the mirrors any way:wink: ) if you bite the bullet and keep going regularly it will soon get easier.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Once you join you will probably make or find friends that are there, so go for it. Also, how do you think some of those people got fit. With so much more focus on fitness you are seeing more people of all ages, shapes and sizes, so don't let it hold you back. I've met many nice people at the gym and if it is run correctly, no one will be judging others based on where they start. If you have multiple gyms to choose from, ask them if they will let you have a one day pass to try it out or see if they have any 'free classes' they are offering to try to sign up new members.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    as someone that goes to the gym regularly i will tell you... i get upset when someone makes me notice them... most often I could care less about other people on the machine...

and personally i would rather see a fat person exercising then a young pretty girl texting on the bench press...

--ms
  • cidalia1973
    cidalia1973 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I saw a heavier person at the gym, I would think "good for them!" :)
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    There's no reason not to go to the gym. You'll probably start seeing results pretty fast, but I wasn't a gym person, and I started out with walking, which is nice and solitary, if that's your thing :happy:
  • futurejedi
    futurejedi Posts: 111
    Options
    join the gym kick butt in your workouts and who gives a rat *kitten* what people think about you
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I echo the sentiments that most people don't actually care. I don't mean that in a cold and impersonal way, but most people really don't concern themselves with other people and are just there to work out like you are. I've always seen all kinds of people of different shapes and sizes at the gym. Good luck!
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Well.............. I may not be skinny, but I already AM freaking awesome!! :)

Edited to keep this on topic - I was going to actually post a response to the OP but I forgot all about it when I was posting the awesome comment.

Definitely just "do it". I absolutely totally understand what you are saying though. It's hard to do something new that seems to kind of "put you out there". Most gyms let you try the place out a couple of times before you sign a contract, which is a good way to get a feel for the place.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Really, no one cares. Nearly everyone has their own workout, their own agenda. The few that are judgmental can pound salt. So go get 'em, and focus on your workout. My gym has folks from ultra-buff to hundreds of pounds overweight. We're there for the same reason. Get a decent workout in.