Spaghetti from 2oz to 7.6oz!

Options
Hi all, I cooked 2oz of spaghetti (thin) and put it in a bowl of water (covering it by about a 1/4in of water above it. Put it in the fridge for a day (24 hours) and when I took it out and weighed it, it was 7.6oz.

Now the calories count on the box has about 210 per 2oz uncooked. How many calories are made by soaking the spaghetti this way to become 7.6oz? Surely the water absorbed doesn't add any?

Replies

• k0lie
    k0lie Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I'm fairly certain that no calories were gained from soaking the spaghetti in water. Generally, foods that you cook in water like pasta or rice give a calorie listing for an uncooked portion. I don't believe that someone who prefers al dente pasta is consuming less calories than someone who prefers overcooked pasta if they began with the same uncooked amount.

I'm curious... why were you soaking already cooked spaghetti in a bowl of water?
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Oooh interesting, more spaghetti!

Also, no added calories by soaking in water.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    water has zero calories, if you measured the spaghetti noodles out at 2 oz. dry then that is the calories you count.... as long as it was water, no salt or oil, just plain water.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    water has zero calories, no if, and or maybe, so if you measured the spaghetti noodles out at 2 oz. dry then that is the calories you count.... as long as it was water, no salt or oil, just plain water.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    900 to account for the magic.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The water doesn't add calories. My question is though - why did we soak spaghetti noodles in water overnight? I've never heard of this.... Is it like the overnight oatmeal thing but with pasta???
  • Chrys36
    Chrys36 Posts: 1
    Options
    2 ounces of uncooked pasta will be around one cup of cooked pasta, the increase in size is due to the pasta absorbing the water. When you cook pasta, it is no longer hard and brittle, it is soft. The amount of pasta once cooked will very depending on what type of pasta you are using, which is why you are supposed to use a scale to measure out the dry pasta prior to cooking. But I agree...you need to add about 900 calories to account for all that water ;)
  • joeherbert48
    joeherbert48 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I found out it was a way to preserver spaghetti for a very long time vs just putting it in a bowl in the fridge.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I found out it was a way to preserver spaghetti for a very long time vs just putting it in a bowl in the fridge.

Urgh, wouldn't it get really soggy and squishy though? Why not just eat it within 3 days or so and store it the usual way?
  • joeherbert48
    Options
    Yes, makes for a LOT more spaghetti and very filling vs the meager 4oz one usually gets after just cooking it.

I do hope you're kidding about the 900 calories added because of water. I was always told water (plain water) has no calories.

Main thing is I'm still losing weight and I'm eating this quite often with 2oz of ground burger, salt, pepper, red pepper to spicey taste desired. Boy, mine is hot hot hot. lol
  • joeherbert48
    Options

Urgh, wouldn't it get really soggy and squishy though? Why not just eat it within 3 days or so and store it the usual way?

No, not at all that is why they extra water is used. It will last up to 2 weeks this way and not get that slimy greasy feeling to it. Just keep the water above the spaghetti.