Gym Humiliation

Options
2»

Replies

• karlygj
    karlygj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to live in the Bronx, and I had a gym membership in those days because it was not easy to exercise outdoors. Where I live now, it is easy and safe to. It is the time of the year that most people find to be perfect for going outside to take a walk (or a hike, or a bike ride, etc)
    If your neighborhood is not easy to walk, the track at a local school is a great place to take a fitness walk. There is other people there most of the time, which makes me feel safe.
    For strength training, it is good to own a ten pound dumbell. You only need one. A yoga mat, maybe a few other (small) pieces of exercise equipment.
    I don't have the money for a gym membership. Even if I did, I prefer being outdoors. Nothing clears my head like taking a walk in the fresh air with my dog.
  • rukaspooka
    rukaspooka Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about it the more you go the more you will get used to it. If you stick with it you will one day realize you are in fact a gym rat and you do belong. You will smile when you notice a new person and hope they also stick with it. I felt the same as you , I went super early at first to avoid the crowds. I also have my workout preplanned so I don't dilly dally , I get in- and get it done before I have time to panic.

That being said there is a lady at my gym who treadmills walks with one leg, there are many overweight people and many skinny teens I wish I could look like, but the one who inspires me and makes me want to try harder is the lady who was 9 MONTHS pregnant and still jogging on the treadmill every morning.... If that don't make me have no excuses to skip... I don't know what else would!!! My point is we are all different, no matter if we are fat, tall, short, one legged, preggers , or body beautiful. We are all there to be HEALTHY!! Go join - do it for yourself because you love your body.
  • rukaspooka
    rukaspooka Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    100 % agree texting on the strength machines is my biggest pet peeve - grrr go HOME!!!
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    “You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.”

No one cares! Go to the gym, get sweaty, and don't worry about anyone except yourself!

I sure wish we had "Like" buttons for posts like this. :)
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes, just go. I promise after a couple weeks it will feel totally normal for you to be there.
  • k0lie
    k0lie Posts: 9
    Options
    I ALWAYS used to feel like this. I've never been greatly overweight, but I've also never been active in my entire life so my stamina and strength are very low. I used to think I could never work out in public, and tried to find programs I could complete at home alone. I wouldn't even work out in front of my (ex) boyfriend or our other room mates.

I'm not sure exactly when the shift happened for me but one day I just thought *kitten* this! No one gets fit without starting somewhere. The people in the gym around you don't really care about you, they're more focused on themselves (much like how you're not judging them, but instead worrying that they're judging you.)

I'd say just go for it! Huff and puff and groan and pant and die and even throw up all you want lol if someone judges you for wanting to better yourself, they're the ones who are in the wrong, not you!
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    This is what I do when I go to the gym. Throw your head back, flick your hair and strut. Works every time.

tumblr_meh4508en71r49nubo1_250_zps850edebe.gif
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Only for a split second before I remind myself that they're in the gym for the same exact reason I am, and that they suck at being subtle.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Today, I saw a very large woman at my gym. I really only noticed: a. b/c I had never seen her before and b. she was wearing a bright purple shirt and bright pink pants.

She was running and sweating on the treadmill...then she went right to the machines used those...went into the weight room and grabbed some dumbbells. I don't know if she felt self-conscious or not, but she was rocking at the gym.

I thought she was pretty awesome.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

With an office job/sitting around all day and having an under active thyroid I can't just eat healthy

This part doesn't have anything to do with joining a gym, and you need to fix it separately from your need for physical activity. You need to learn to set a calorie goal and eat at/under it every day. Working in an office and having an under active thyroid have nothing to do with eating at a calorie goal.
  • AlwaysBigSteve
    AlwaysBigSteve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Today for the first time I thought a couple were staring at me while I was on a machine. I'm thinking to myself, wtf is this skinny guy and girl staring at me for? They kept walking back and forth too like they were trying to pretend not to be looking at me. At one point the guy was whispering to the girl while they looked at me!

After I finished my last set I got up and went to another machine and they scooped in to use the machine I had been using. It was then I realized they weren't staring at me. They were waiting to use the machine themselves. On a side note he had to drop the weight, lol.

Point is they were not staring at me. They were probably looking right through me. I see guys and girls in worse shape than me at the gym and all I can think is hell yeah.
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    I thought the same way you did until I actually went to join. I saw several normal, older people working out. I also saw several very heavy people working out. It gave me the confidence to join. Now, I feel like an inspiration to other potential members, because if I can do it, so can they. :). All that aside, though...no one pays much attention at all to others while working out. We're all there for the purpose of getting fit. We all started somewhere. And we all cheer on the newbies in our head. Why? Because they're doing something and it's not sitting at home watching TV! Go for it! I promise you won't regret the decision.

Eta: see if the gym has an orientation session with a trainer. That can be really helpful in helping you feel like you belong.

^^ This for sure!

I wear a prosthetic leg and walk a little awkward because of me leg. I can say without a doubt the people in the gym don't pay attention to your flaws what they do see is that you're making a healthy lifestyle choice and starting your goal to a better you! :)
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    This is what I do when I go to the gym. Throw your head back, flick your hair and strut. Works every time.

tumblr_meh4508en71r49nubo1_250_zps850edebe.gif

Adorbz! lol
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Gyms are different if you have choices visit and try out several and see if you just like one better.