Is a fitbit worth it??

sylviedroz
sylviedroz Posts: 95 Member
Hiya, been seeing a lot of posts about fitbits and i'm honestly wondering if it's really worth it cause it's quite pricy
And if there are any better.

thanks x

Replies

• kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Love my Fitbit. Have been using it for 3 years now and will continue to do so. It keeps me aware of if I am moving or not. If price is an issue a pedometer works or my iPhone can keep track if steps.
  • WLG1974
    WLG1974 Posts: 90
    I use mine daily. I've had it for a couple of years.

I think it's worth it. I know some who gave it up but for me I like it and will continue to use it because it gives me that extra push to keep moving.
  • mart001
    mart001 Posts: 194 Member
    love my fitbit one. one of the best things i bought....:smile:
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    I have a fitbit zip, and I love it. I am challenged to do more steps than the day before.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users

Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)—way more accurate than any online calculator.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    I love my fitbit one.

I have had it for about 7 months.

It's eye opening to see how much you move or don't in a day. I work in a cubicle so to get any decent amount of steps in a day I need to really try.

I like the sleep tracking function as well. It will make you much more aware of how much sleep you are getting. I also use the alarm feature.

I think it's worth the investment.

Edit: You can also get points and $$ at Walgreens rewards program...
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    I use a BodyMedia and I am glad I bought it. It is amazing to see how much calories in and out. Even with your stats and graph to see when you burned the most, so you can retrack what you were doing then.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Depends on what you want it to do for ya.

I've had a Zip since January of this year. I'm cheap, so I looked for a deal, and bought it on eBay for around 30 bucks. I reviewed all the models and decided I didn't need the sleep or stairs tracking, so the Zip was perfect for me.

I like the all day calorie estimate, and it pretty much agrees with the TDEE I had figured with online calculators, and it motivates me to move more. I will often find myself getting out to walk my dogs or looking for ways to get a little more activity in just to hit the daily goals on the Fitbit (or to pass someone on my friend's list!).

For me, it's not essential, but it's another nice tool to have.
  • Love my fitbit, love that myfitnesspal syncs with it! Use it everyday.
  • LADYJDOWD
    LADYJDOWD Posts: 15 Member
    Love my fitbit, seeing the band on my arm, makes me move more, it kinda makes you challenge yourself :happy:
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    I *LOVE* my Fitbit Flex. It totally motivates me to get out there!! Well, that and I like to walk. I like knowing where I am with my step goal by tapping the Flex and seeing how many of the LEDs light up. (Each of the five lights represents 20% of your goal.) I REALLY like it when the Flex vibrates when I've hit my goal. I also have two alarms set up so that the Flex vibrates when it is time to take my 15 minute walk during the work day. I can use my smartphone to check my steps and upload to the site (Fitbit, which then syncs with MFP), so I always know where I am at with my goal.

The only frustrating thing is when Fitbit and MFP aren't syncing or if Fitbit's adjustments are just plain wacky. It does all work out in the end.

Oh! And I also have my Flex sync with Virgin Pulse so that I can earn $ every quarter.
  • Bryan190
    Bryan190 Posts: 54
    The most valuable thing my Fitbit does for me is define those days when I'm more active than the sedentary level I have MFP set to. If I'm being a slug or working at my desk all day, the fitbit does not add any exercise calorie credit, but if I'm walking more during a day, the Fitbit's sync with MFP automatically takes care of it. My favorite form of aerobic exercise is bike riding, and I take the Fitbit off for that (using MapMyRide). When I'm done with the ride MFP syncs both the ride via MapMyRide and Fitbit exercise for the rest of the day separately, and the Fitbit website also shows the increase calorie burn from the ride without counting extra, bogus steps since it was sitting still. The Fitbit does not sync MapMyRide data directly but gets it through MFP.
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    More love for my Fitbit product and service. My first one the screen started to go. I emailed support a picture and got a very apologetic email, with a new fitbit order notice. That was it.

It has helped me get to 10,000+ steps a week (although it is awful when you realise you left it at home)

However, if money is tight unless you need to track exactly then maybe not, a pedometer may be as good.
  • karencercone1
    karencercone1 Posts: 29 Member
    I have a Polar Heart rate monitor--LOVE it----check it out on Amazon---great for workouts---- :)
  • A fitbit will keep you accountable. The iPhone tracking is only with iPhone 5 up and is vastly more expensive if you do not have one.

This little item goes everywhere I go. I cannot emphasise to you how much a benefit this device has been in telling me what I have achieved.

Go for it and good luck!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Love my fitbit flex. Love it when it buzzes and flashes for the 10,000 steps.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    If you only want to measure steps, stairs climbed, a fitbit can do that. If you want to measure calories burned with other exercise...the fitbit doesn't due that - you need a hrm.

I've had a fitbit one for about a year. I like it - when I remember to wear it - which is not very often. I just ordered a fitbit flex...you only take it off to charge it. I'm hoping I get more use out of this one.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Yep, I am with everyone - love my fitbit flex. Only got it in April and I never take it off except for charging. I find it has made me pay more attention to what I am doing and what I am eating. I feel like I paid all this money for it (ok, technically it was a gift but from my SO so really it is shared money anyway) and so I have to justify it and be "good". I have lost 20 pounds since I got it and it really is helping me to change my attitude about fitness and eating - I am not trying to diet I am trying to change my habits permanently (I was a terrible eater before and usually took the lazy way out - take out - and now I make meals at home). Using it with MFP really helps me keep track of everything. I highly recommend it.
  • Tigre_Lily
    Tigre_Lily Posts: 26 Member
    I have a fitbit one and I love it. I use it for tracking my steps and sleep. It was def worth buying.
  • jnckaufman
    jnckaufman Posts: 3 Member
    I love my fitbit. It challenges me to have active minutes, but also was eye opening for mt sleep habits!