Protein

techietrish
techietrish Posts: 2 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
I keep going over my protein allocation, despite staying within allocations for calries, fats and carbs. Should I be overly concerned about this?

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    I wouldn't be, I go over frequently. Protein keeps you full and helps you not to lose muscle when losing weight quickly. It also keeps you feeling fuller, so you'll eat less :smile:
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    For some reason they set the protein extremely low. From what I've read, Expert body builders usually try to take in at least a gram to a gram and a half per pound of body weight in protein. Protein helps rebuild muscle, the more muscle you have the faster your metabolism.
  • Stac3783
    Stac3783 Posts: 4 Member
    I go over my Protein every day! It's Okay to go over your recommended protein allowance. If you're eating the right foods, you will go over in Protein and stay under in all the other categories. If you're going over in all of the other categories, then you need to re-evaluate what you're eating. :flowerforyou:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    For some reason they set the protein extremely low. From what I've read, Expert body builders usually try to take in at least a gram to a gram and a half per pound of body weight in protein. Protein helps rebuild muscle, the more muscle you have the faster your metabolism.

True!

I manually changed the macronutrient ratios on MFP for myself, and definitely increased my protein. I can't live on so little protein as they set it as originally! I'd be fat from too much fat and bloated from too many carbs and weak from too little protein (OK, that's an exaggeration).

I don't worry about it one bit if I go over on protein. It helps to rebuild and repair torn muscles from exercise (exercise always causes small muscle tears, especially the intense weight training I do 3 times a week).
This discussion has been closed.