Why does coffee cause me severe hunger pains?

Options
It gets to the point where I feel like I'm gonna pass out and get dizzy like an hour or two after drinking coffee. I know almost everyone says stuff about coffee curbing their appetite, but it seems to be the opposite for me.

I love coffee, it wakes me up and keeps me alert. But does this happen to anyone else? Or anyone have a reason as to why this happens and what I can do to prevent it? (Aside from stopping....I'm aware of that)

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Caffeine (and stimulants in general) can affect people in different ways. Caffeine pretty frequently gets things in your intenstines... moving along... so that may be a potential cause. Try drinking a glass of water before and after your coffee and see how that goes. Might help with the feeling of hunger.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You could try eating your breakfast first before your coffee, and avoid having it on an empty stomach. Hope you figure it out!
  • angiez93
    angiez93 Posts: 63
    Options
    Coffee is a diuretic and a digestive, so make sure you are drinking plenty of water and eating enough! Take the above poster's advice and drink water before and after your coffee. If this doesn't help, then it may just be that your body has an adverse reaction to caffeine. I know a lot of people drink it to rev themselves up a bit, but if you are meeting the mark on your nutrition then coffee should not be necessary. Good luck!
  • super_b_star
    super_b_star Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i typically do eat breakfast beforehand
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I already do this, actually.

If your hydration and food is in order, then honestly you may just be a little more sensitive to caffeine than most people. Try tea perhaps?
  • angiez93
    angiez93 Posts: 63
    Options
    Do some research online - it might be worth cutting the coffee if you're dizzy/faint after you drink it. Not a good feeling :/
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Does it happen with decaf, too?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Also perhaps the acidity. I had to stop drinking coffee brewed in a percolator in college because it just tore my stomach up. Perhaps try a french press instead. Also, with the french press, you can leave the coffee grounds in water in the fridge over night, and you have iced coffee ready to go in the morning, very nice in summer and very easy on the stomach!