Breastfeeing calories?

Options
I've only been using MFP for 16 days. I lost 4kg (about 9lbs) rather quickly at first but now the scale has not moved for almost a week.

MFP's suggested intake for me is 1750 a day at lightly active. I am still breastfeeding my 7 month old son, should I be adding more, or leaving it as it is and give it more time to see what happens before I change anything?

Replies

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I would add extra on top of that, between 300 to 500 depending on how much he nurses and see how you go from there, breastfeeding burns a lot of calories.
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I second Veganbettie. More importantly than cutting calories is going to be making sure you DRINK enough non caffienated beverages. If you drink less, you're putting at risk the milk you make.
    Great article about nutrition while breastfeeding: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/infant-and-toddler-health/in-depth/breastfeeding-nutrition/art-20046912?pg=1

You may want to consider joining a breastfeeding support group, or consulting with your MD or nutritionist for the best advice regarding weight loss while breastfeeding. I breastfed all four of my kids, and never lost weight due to breastfeeding. My weight with all of them stayed the same. Best of luck. Are you exercising?
  • Debssssssssss
    Debssssssssss Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I second Veganbettie. More importantly than cutting calories is going to be making sure you DRINK enough non caffienated beverages. If you drink less, you're putting at risk the milk you make.
    Great article about nutrition while breastfeeding: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/infant-and-toddler-health/in-depth/breastfeeding-nutrition/art-20046912?pg=1

You may want to consider joining a breastfeeding support group, or consulting with your MD or nutritionist for the best advice regarding weight loss while breastfeeding. I breastfed all four of my kids, and never lost weight due to breastfeeding. My weight with all of them stayed the same. Best of luck. Are you exercising?

He is my 3rd child, but my first exclusively breastfed one, so I'm a little unsure. I lost the pregnancy weight within the first month after he was born, but then that was it. It's only now that I'm actively trying to lose, that I'm wondering about what my calorie intake should really be. I exercise about 3 times a week. Upping my water intake is something I'm working on, although I have no issues with supply.
  • laura3773
    laura3773 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    While I breastfed full time (1 year) I lost about half a pound a week without any dieting or counting. I just gained it all back when I stopped nursing/pumping full time. If you were not losing, I would track exactly what you normally ate to see how many calories you were really taking in, then try to reduce just by 200 or 300 calories a day and see what happens. If you reduce calories too much, you may hurt your supply OR wind up shorting your own nutrition.