Get me excited about new veggies!!

Options
My go-to Vegetables are broccoli & string beans in the freezer. Besides salad that is really it. GET ME EXCITED about more veggies that I can keep on hand and won't go bad. Maybe I am just in a rut with my usual. PLEASE HELP!

Replies

• snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite and fast veggies is just fresh spinach sauteed in olive oil and garlic with a little salt and pepper. delish, quick, and easy. good luck on your veggie quest!
  • HealthyHereICome
    Options
    Red pepper hummus on pretzel crisps...mmmmmm!!!! Very yummy!! I also love edamame.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    there are tons of great things out there! if you are on a budget buy in season. I finally learned how to work with squashes this winter and OMG i love them. Also Green Giant has a line of frozen Health collection (I love the Healthy heart mix) but they have a mixed veggies and sometimes beans and such in light sauces. I use it as my side to salmon and it is so easy and pretty healthy. Wish the sodium was better but it still isn't that bad.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    brussel sprouts (yes! brussel sprouts) with bacon and onion! YUM! parboil brussels while cooking up bacon (turkey bacon if you like) and onion, toss in brussel sprouts, season to taste.

spinach i love spinach!

greek salad with chick peas: big chunks of tomatoes, cucs, green pepper, red onion, feta (i use goat feta) canned chick peas a chopped up romain heart, and dressing I use about a tablespoon of greek or sundried tomato and about the same of vinager... fresh herbs if you have them, toss and yum, stays good a few days
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm making a sweet potato and black bean chili for dinner tonight, check out EatingWell.com for the recipe.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the frozen ones that are getting you down. I love broccoli, but I can't stand the frozen stuff. Fresh veggies are so much yummier! I totally understand the need for being able to have stuff around, but I think if you can get yourself to deal with fresh produce, things will be different.

Anyway, I love red bell peppers. They're sweet and have more vitamin C than the green ones. Awesome to toss into things like pizza, pasta sauce, stir fries, salad, dip into hummus, put on sandwiches...mmm quick n easy to cut up.

Zucchini rocks. I'll steam em and add some garlic, onion, fresh black pepper, and paprika. Or roast in the oven. Also, can toss in pasta or stir fry with the red bell peppers.

KALE! Full of vitamins. I like toscano kale. Great to steam, sautee, or toss in soups.

Spaghetti squash - halve it rub with a lil olive oil. roast in oven, then pull out the insides. Looks like angel hair pasta. Great with sauce or sautee in olive oil with garlic onion, pepper, and some parm cheese (if you like parm). I don't think it's really a substitute for pasta, but I like it as a veggie side.

Since you like broccoli, look for broccolini.

Hopefully that can get you started! Good luck!

PS- dittoing the eat in season veggies for getting stuff cheaper. Also they'll be more nutritious, especially if you can eat local veggies you'll get foods that aren't picked before being ripe and haven't lost nutrients by sitting around. :)
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have to second the brussel sprouts comment. a little butter, wine, shallots and pecans. omg!
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love roasted asparagus. I spray a little canola oil spray on them and sprinkle with sea salt. I roast them for about 8 to 10 minutes (depending on thickness), until they are cooked, but still crunchy -- yum!

Roasted squash is also a favorite of mine!
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    A new one for your salads -- jicama! It's crunchy and a little sweet and I love it! Also good with dip
  • denise309
    Options
    Edamame....steamed and dip in sea/koshe salt, YUMMY!

Asparagus: drizzled in a bit of olive oil some garlic or salt in the over....YUMMY!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite and fast veggies is just fresh spinach sauteed in olive oil and garlic with a little salt and pepper. delish, quick, and easy. good luck on your veggie quest!

Sooo good! Spinach is my favorite. Frozen carrots and edamame are good too.
  • mreneecohen
    mreneecohen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love this because I have such a hard time with veggies! I get grossed out with different textures so I stick to the basics: brocolli and lettuce.

I love corn but heard that people who eat corn lose weight slower than people who don't! What the heck!
  • debruhf
    debruhf Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    edamame, brussel sprouts and asparagus!
  • holotheory
    Options
    consider the cauliflower........for real!! check this out friends, you can actually use cauliflower as a sub for mashed potatoes. of course you can't start thinking it's a 100% sub- cause after all it is cauliflower. anyway get some cualiflower and remove all leaves and the large stem...after that i usually cut into quarters and place in a steamer pan. (the kind that sits above a pot of boiling water) steam until tender - now you can pour the water out of the pot and add some low sodium chicken stock and heat on medium high - once hot add cauliflower and mash....consistency is key here so for one cauliflower head you may only use 1/4 or 1/3 cup of stock....season with salt and pepper....and bam you have an uber vegetable side minus starchy taters!! a must for the HCG crowd.