OMG Late night cravings

Options
Ok guys this should be short. Like the title implies I am getting evening cravings....... I do great at work I can suppress my appetite all day long. When I get home it is a different story, after a sensible dinner that fills me up at the time the cravings kick in. I know I should not have any kind of treats and sweets in my cupboards but I have kids so the treats stay. Also I have already bought them so it is not like I am about to throw food away. I have a hard time not cleaning my plate and throwing the extras away. That is the way I was raised you clean your plate and we don't throw any food away...... After kids are starving in Africa .

Well I have a couple of ideas but my plan to stay clean kind of goes away as that night goes on. I am growing tired of water and diet soda.
IDK what kind of craving killing ideas do u have? I am asking for some help and support here.

Thanks Brian :smile:

Replies

• segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    You are weak at night.

Save more calories for the evening.

Eat foods that fill you up more.

It's nearly impossible, and I challenge you to try, to eat anything after you have put a half pound of broccoli in your stomach.

If you insist on eating after you want to stop eating make a full meal. Cook it up, sit at the table to eat it and then do the dishes.

If you are hungry you need to eat. If you are just craving junk you need to stop giving in.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Ice Cream.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Bulk out your evening meal with a crap load of salad or low calorie veggies so that you're so full you're not hungry.

Buy some specialty teas and brew up a pot after dinner. There are heaps of delicious dessert-type flavours about.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    drink Water water and more water.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of this as well.

I've tried just doing situps and pushups until I can't think about eating anymore...and then if I still want a small bite hell I deserve it.

I'm talking 30+ minutes not just a minute or two.
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Bulk out your evening meal with a crap load of salad or low calorie veggies so that you're so full you're not hungry.

Buy some specialty teas and brew up a pot after dinner. There are heaps of delicious dessert-type flavours about.

I agree. Peppermint tea always seems to fill me up and supress my appetite. You could also try a few almonds, or counting to 20 and having a sip of water in between every number.
  • SteshaNicole
    SteshaNicole Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way. I do great all day long...for the most part. But, at night, after I get all the evening chores done I just want to eat. I LOVE cereal so that's always my food of choice. I've tried going to bed or keeping myself distracted but then I can't sleep b/c my stomach is growling. I feel your pain. Today I've tried drinking water all day and that has actually helped me out some b/c I'm not so hungry. Good luck! I'm right with you!
  • KameHameHaaa
    KameHameHaaa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    What works for me is eating dinner laaaaate. I ate dinner around midnight.
  • liveandlove788
    Options
    Like others say, just plan for those cravings and save some extra room for them at night. I've found that green tea can help my cravings, or even some popcorn. Listen to your body...are you craving something sweet or maybe something salty? It is possible that you may not be getting enough fat or sodium through out the day and that's why there is a craving. You could start getting the 100 calorie packs to have as your treat, or look up some low calorie desserts to make. I just found one for coconut chocolate bark...it certainly does the trick for me, and a small piece is enough.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Gee I don't know....14-1500 cal seems kinda low for you for someone your age/man? Perhaps get in more lean protein to keep you satiated? Perhaps your just hungry still. ?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I save cals for nighttime and eat what I crave, up to my calorie goal. I keep ice cream sandwiches, sugar free pudding, grainy chips and hummus, and waffles with sugar free syrup on hand for late night snacking.
  • DecemberPsalm
    DecemberPsalm Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who said to save up enough calories to let yourself eat a treat at night.

My weakness is ice cream and if I ate well all day I start feeling really frustrated if I can't have dessert, so I just save like 300 calories every couple/few nights so I can have a nice size bowl of ice cream....a tiny 1/2 cup serving just makes me grouchy! haha.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I used to give in to the gravings, but now I just drink a protein shake. It will upper my protein and is not too hard on the carb or calorie stats for that day. It seems to help.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hello..! Sorry but you're starving yourself, a full grown man eating 1400-1500 calories? Eat your exercise calories back, that is how mfp system was designed to work. Sorry to be blunt, it drives me crazy seeing people complain about binging and late night eating issues, when they are chronically under eating.

I agree with the suggestion about eating dinner late also.

Do yourself a favor and run your numbers here. http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/
    You should be eating at least your BMR always!
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options

^^^ This! It's amazing how much a salad or steamed veggies with your meal can fill you up!
  • bootssowhite
    bootssowhite Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I also get lots of cravings in the evening and the weekends. (Cravings, not actual hunger. If I'm hungry, I will always eat something, especially before I go to sleep and not eat for another eight hours.) I think mostly it's a boredom thing. During the day, I'm busy with work and not really thinking about food/around food, but when I'm watching TV or futzing around online in the evening, I want to graze. I'm not hungry, I just want to eat, more for entertainment that anything else.

I try not to give into those cravings, even if I have the calories to spare, because as long as I continue to eat when bored, I'll never be able to control my weight. I've started eating dinner later, which helps break up the evening. It's a lot easier to control those cravings if I'm eating dinner when they normally hit. Also, if I do get an after dinner snack, I make sure I eat something like yogurt or vegetables - things I don't actually crave. I figure if it's just a craving, the thought of a yogurt won't satisfy me, and if a yogurt sounds good, then I probably need to the food.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I eat my dinner late (7:30-8:00) and still have a snack before bed. Its all in the way you budget your calories. I also eat back most of my exercise calories. If I don't, I end up binging after a few days. Its like my body is telling me I'm not eating enough and is going to catch up one way or the other. Even without the exercise calories, if you are eating only 1500 a day, that's really low for a guy. No wonder at the end of the day you are hungry. If you eat what you are allowed, you will still lose weight. It may be at a slower pace than you want but you didn't gain it in a couple months. Plus you want the time to develop good, life-long eating habits. Otherwise when you stop "dieting" you will go right back to what you were doing before.

Good Luck!