How to calculate walking at work

Options
I have a job that does require a lot of sitting, however about ever 20 minutes I have to walk from my classroom to another wing, pick up a student and bring them to my room for speech therapy. When their session is over, I walk them back to their class and pick up another one. What would be the best way to log this? (I make this trip 20 times each day (that 10 times each way), plus whatever other errands I might need to do. But I don't know how to figure out how much I actually walked!

Replies

• Amcantar
    Amcantar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This is not really excersise that you should log, this is your usual physical activity. In your settings, you can choose how active you are, this sounds like mainly sedentary, *maybe* low activity depending on how much you are really on your feet. But these are just your usual daily calories burned, trying to add them back in as exercise will give you more calories to eat, but will sabotage your weight loss.
  • rainiebaby
    Options
    You could buy a pedometer and attach it to your waistband. It will calculate walking and jogging. They aren't that expensive.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I agree that you shouldn't log it. I work on my feet all day, constant walking, but I don't log it because it's just part of my daily activities and I'm not getting my heart rate up enough to count. I wore a pedometer one day just for fun, it was a slow day and I still walked over 4 miles while on the job! Only log walking if it's above and beyond what you normally do.
  • Jbonar
    Jbonar Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you just want to keep track of your steps, pedometers are pretty inexpensive. If you know the distance of your stride, you could then probably figure out how many miles you walk in a day. :)

You didn't specifically ask this(and this is jmho) but I would not log it. This is part of your everyday routine. If your fitness profile is set to Sedentary, you could maybe change it to Lightly Active, but you aren't probably talking major calorie burn. Personally I would let it be "bonus".
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    Options
    Others may have better methods, but how about timing the amount of minutes you walk each trip and then adding them up to get a total minutes walked value. Then you can enter that here in the exercise diary.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i am a SLP too and i have my activity set at lightly active...i figure that some days i do end up burning more calories than i give myself credit for, but overall it works in my favor :)
  • Spicer1
    Spicer1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree that you shouldn't be logging these calories. I'm a nursing assistant and I'm on my feet for about 5-6 of the 8 hours each day plus I do things like transferring people from their bed to a wheelchair or rolling them in their bed all day long. I don't count these calories because it's just my normal routine and I put myself as moderately active when I signed up.