I need help seasoning food (meat mostly)

Options
I'll start by saying I'm not a very good cook. If it comes in a box or a can I probably can make it and not screw it up or if it has less than 5 ingredients I might end up with an edible end product.

So here's the deal.......I am trying to cut back on sodium and from a previous thread of mine I got lots of response for alternate spices to use but not what to use them on and what combinations. So I'd like further help with what goes on what and some tried and true combinations. I am looking for low sodium or salt less if possible.

Basically I cook 3 main meats chicken breast, boneless pork chops and round steak. I just defrost them and then bake in the oven.

I would just like to know some of your favorite ways to cook those above meats using "other" spices/seasonings.
I am also looking for marinades or make it yourself BBQ sauce, or just liquid toppings in general.

Anyone have a low sodium "shake and bake" recipe by any chance?

I am actually open to any recipies though, I love ground beef but other than spagetti, lasagne, hamburger helper, tacos I don't tend to do much else with it.....all of those have canned or packaged seasonings to some degree added to it so those aren't really something I want to have often anymore. If you have recipies for ground beef/turkey I'd love to hear them!!

Today I tried something new to season my rice and veggies instead of soy sauce since that is totally nothing but salt (I did just lemon juice and pepper) and it was GREAT. I was wondering though does anyone else have any other suggestions.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Replies

• AZChatterB
    AZChatterB Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My brother is the kitchen manager at national chain steakhouse, and happens to be here with me right now. He says that cracked black pepper and minced garlic go great with both chicken and pork. Enjoy!
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash Garlic with a little bit of low fat cesear dressing as a marinade.
  • kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Just putting bbq spices or steak spices on the steak is delicious!
    Or look up low carb recipes on taste.com.au and type in lemon pepper chicken!
    the chicken seasoning on that is amazing! lol.

Hope that helps a bit
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I usually use Lawry's seasoning salt. But I also use KC Masterpiece BBQ seasoning and steak seasoning. I hate bland food and all of these you can use to taste to watch your sodium.
  • huskerjess
    Options
    I drizzle with a little bit of olive oil, some cracked black pepper, sea salt, and garlic...simple and delicious. Sometimes I'll squeeze a little lemon or lime on it also...or some balsamic vinegar.
  • katmarsc
    katmarsc Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have all Ms. Dash.. Also as a soy sauce alternative I use Braggs Liquid Aminos.
    Amino Acids are the building blocks of all our organs and tissues. They are also the building blocks from which different food proteins are constructed. When we eat a protein food, such as meat or soybeans, the natural hydrochloric acid in the stomach digests the protein, releasing the Amino Acids. They are the link between the food we eat and assimilation for our body tissue. Lack of adequate Amino Acids may make it impossible for the vitamins and minerals to perform their specific duties.
    I put it on meat, rice, mushrooms, etc...
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    chcken in any type of italian dressing is absolutely amazing! just put the chicken and the dressing (enough to coat the chicken) in a plastic bag and let it sit in the fridge for a day or two, then bake it, or I put it on my george foreman!
  • SunniGirl143
    Options
    I love love love santa maria style seasoning - by susie q's brand...has 1/3 less sodium than salt...also has garlic, salt, parsley and pepper - in one! fabulous!!! not sure if its available everywhere - but they have a website: http://www.susieqbrand.com

serving size - 1/4 tsp
    calories - 0
    fat - 0
    sodium - 150mg
    protein - 0
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I also love Mrs. Dash. I especially love the chicken blend..its great on pork too. I never use salt to season my food when cooking (i dont add it on my plate either, sometimes dh does though..he loves salt, I hate it!) If you wanted to do a shake and bake you could season the meat with mrs. dash then do like a cornflake breading. I also have recipes which I update daily in my blog that's in my sig! Good luck to you!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Good spices/seasonings for chicken (pick one) -- rosemary, thyme, lemon pepper.

Same for pork

An easy homemade "shake and bake" -- dip chicken breasts in egg whites and roll in bread crumbs (panko bread crumbs works well too). I like to add in a little Italian seasoning (basil, oregano) too (or just buy seasoned bread crumbs)

Just saw the post on italian dressing and second that it is really good to marinate chicken in too!
  • lilcreep
    lilcreep Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    One thing I really like is to marinade my chicken for at least 25 minutes in your favorite salsa then you can bake it, grill it, do whatever you want to it and it's delicious.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I season with garlic salt, thyme and ground peppercorns. Ok, there is salt in garlic salt, but you dont use too much, just a dash. Or just use garlic if you dont want salt at all.

Also, I love paprika on chicken :) Or cajun spices or jamaican jerk spices if you want some thing spicier. Works good on fish too.

But garlic and pepper are the basics of most of my food........

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    I love soy sauce but I am also trying to watch my sodium as I am a crisy and salty girl not a sweet tooth girl. My friend showed me Braggs Amino Acids. Its a soy sauce alternative and tastes alot like soy sauce with way less sodium and its much better for you.
  • gogetter765
    gogetter765 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use seasoning salt. adobo, garlic salt, sassoon. and whatever else i want to through in there! they have chicken seasoning as well.
  • Mychie40
    Options
    onions go a long way as do peppers of anykind.
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Italian dressing dry mix, 1/4 C Veg oil, 1/4 C Cider Vinegar in a ziplock large baggie and add either boneless Chicken breast or pork chops and marinate for several hours and either grill or bake in oven.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My "go to" spices are garlic powder (or fresh garlic) and paprika. I put them on hash browns, roasted potatoes (with Italian seasoning too), my husband puts them on steaks with some thyme. I put some garlic powder on my vegetables when I steam them.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I love to make my own spice mixes.

cumin: it tastes meaty and smoky. Really common in both indian and latin american food
    smoked paprika: it tastes like BBQ chips. Really!
    coriander: cilantro seeds, they taste lemony and floral
    cinnamon: try it in a savory dish

Here are some suggestions:

cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper are great for both steak and pork chops. (also in beans as well)

1 part smoked paprika, 1 part cumin, 1 part coriander, 1 part cayenne, 1 part ancho chile: try this on chicken or potatoes (sweet and regular)

1 part cumin, 1 part coriander: ground beef, tacos, steak, sweet potatoes or winter squash

cumin, cinnamon: this combo is amazing in a stew (adding cinnamon in meat based sauces is also great)

One of my favorite recipes is pomegranate chicken. There are tons of recipes and it is tasty and low sodium

I also love to make my own marinades. Try a combo of balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce on steak

You can also make your own chicken marinade: try lemon, honey, herbs and a bit of olive oil.

The last recommendation is make tandoori chicken! It is actually really easy and low fat/low sodium. You can cheat by marinading chicken with yogurt, chopped onions, ginger, garlic, curry powder and smoked paprika. If you are lucky add limes and/or lemons.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    thanks for this post!! lots of good suggestions here! Worcestershire sauce is a great idea. very low sodium...? 65 mg? I have used white wine vinegar, garlic, EVOO, and black pepper for a salad dressing/vinaigrette....will have to experiment for marinade!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Wow....thanks everyone I have tons of options to try now!