Diet pills and fat burners work per se?

Options
Diet pills, slimming juices and fat burners
Do they work even without exercises and a change in exercise levels?
Has there been any experiment where one group eats 2000 calories and no exercise and takes diet pills or fat burners
And then another group also eats 2000 calories and no exercise but does not take any diet pills or fat burners?

I'm curious if these diet pills and fat burners only act as a placebo and a motivation for people to do more exercise and eat less once they started taking them. Because most stories that state that a certain slimming juice or diet pill has worked for them always involved a change in diet and exercise levels, my reaction to these is that: "of course you would lose weight because you ate less and added exercise to your daily routine!"

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    All these products will include instructions along the lines of: "use in combination with a calorie controlled diet and exercise programme". Where positive results are seen, it's the calorie deficit that has resulted in weight loss.

Save your money.
  • eyley
    eyley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I used Thermobol by Maximuscle and dropped two stone over the summer after graduating university. (used with exercise!!!)

IIRC it's a mix of stuff in the pill like chilli, citrus peel, green tea etc. with the aim of kickstarting or extending your metabolism.

Anyway, it worked for me.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Even the "best" over-the-counter supplements for fat burning require you to eat with a calorie deficit and to exercise. The help it provides is minimal but for some, extra minimal help is better than nothing and they are willing to pay for it. The "best" prescription medications for weight loss affects your appetite usually but comes with a host of side effects in addition to being expensive.
  • hatake_kakashi
    hatake_kakashi Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

personal experience, no they don't work but it does give me extra motivation thinking that it's working. I asked my gym trainer about this and he gave me a profound answer, if all these stuff work, then there will be no overweight people. It does make sense right?

We all know that working out more and eating less bad food and eating more of the good food will result to weight loss and overall good health but its not easy. Good luck on your journey my friend!
  • eyley
    eyley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I used Thermobol by Maximuscle and dropped two stone over the summer after graduating university. (used with exercise!!!)

IIRC it's a mix of stuff in the pill like chilli, citrus peel, green tea etc. with the aim of kickstarting or extending your metabolism.

None of that stuff kick starts your metabolism.

OK

I still think it helped me burn calories.
  • tanyamartha
    Options
    I used Phenocal from last two months and it gives me favorable results..I'm just flabbergasted by it's effect..It's just amazing...I have never thought of consuming diet pills but my dietician assured me it's impact and I was convinced by her opinion..Now.. :):):) it's just too cool..I had bought 'em from thinreport.com :):):):)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Well, good luck trying to get an MD to prescribe Ritalin. And even then you would still have to work the calories and do exercise.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Most of them contain high doses of diuritics so you piss yourself dry and dehydrate, losing (temporary) water weight, and/or a lot of cafeine, so you get jittery and move more, with possible heart palpatations and heart failure as a risk. Fun!
  • julez4774
    julez4774 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    there is one thats ment to work in uk called ‎DROP AWAY WEIGHT LOSS loads people have lost weight with it i wanted to try it but bit to much money for me you can find it on facebook
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

The fact that your ticker is back to 0kg lost should tell you that, in fact, it DIDN'T work, since you put all that weight back on when you stopped taking them.
  • julez4774
    julez4774 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    whoi i never tried them but i know people who have

The fact that your ticker is back to 0kg lost should tell you that, in fact, it DIDN'T work, since you put all that weight back on when you stopped taking them.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    The prescription stuff works. My guess is that the over the counter stuff is either dangerous or doesn't work. I have been going to a bariatric physician since February. So far, I lost 33 pounds in 5 months. I use prescription diet pills. Plus I log all my exercise and food here.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

What worked for you was a calorie deficit, achieved by diet and exercise. NOT the pills.

Give yourself more credit, and save your money.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    A doctor prescribed me phentermine once, but I wasn't working out at all at that time. I remember feeling thin but who knows, it was a while ago.

Right now, I'm taking a caffeine containing fat burner, but not because I think it'll necessarily help me burn fat. I take it because before, I was a Starbucks every morning type of person (work paid for it, otherwise it was homemade). I drink my espresso with fat free milk and sugar free syrups or splenda. I decided on the fat burner so that I could still get the caffeine, and cut the sweeteners and the bloat that came along with the drinks.

If it's helping, then great. But I'll rely on my eating and workouts for the real results.
  • SG1103
    SG1103 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm on a prescription diet pill of phentermine, which I have been on before. I took this about 4 years ago to lose some weight (with exercise) and it helped me lose 40 pounds! I started it again a little less than a month ago and I've dropped 10 pounds. I'm pretty good about watching what I'm eating (I fall off the horse sometimes), but I really think that in the right setting, you can do really great with them.

I, however, do not recommend over-the-counter diet pills. The use of these types of pills should be monitored by a doctor.
  • zhelva
    zhelva Posts: 1
    Options
    It works for me in a way that I have more energy and I can exercise harder. But a fat burner won't just do wonders and make you lose weight without proper nutrition and exercise.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Well your wallet will lose weight..