Is Pilates stalling my weight loss?

Options
I started using MFP 18th June 2013 and lost 2st 2.5 lbs. On 2nd Jan I joined Slimming World and have since lost another 2st 7lbs (I deleted MFP and started a new account).

BUT 2 weeks ago I joined a local pilates class, after the first session I gained 0.5 lbs (my first gain) and yesterday showed a maintain on the scales.
- As I'm now part of a weight loss group, with the sole intention of showing a loss each week, I have been less than impressed!
After my gain I started taking water retention tablets and drinking around 3.5 ltrs of water a day.
I have stayed on plan and am still 'overweight' by 8.5 lbs, so definitely have fat left to lose.

I get that I'm gaining muscle, but surely I should still see a loss each week?

Help!

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficit you will not be gaining muscle. However, Pilates works the muscles and can result in them holding onto extra water, which would likely account for the weight gain you experienced.

It's only been two weeks so give it a couple more weeks. If you still don't see any losses then it is likely you are not eating at a deficit, which could indicate inaccuracies in your logging.
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I agree with the muscles-holding-water theory. Don't give up on the Pilates! I go three-four times a week and feel great after each class. I'm more limber, and my arms and legs are more toned. My core muscles are stronger than when I started, too.

Give it time, and the weight will start dropping again, and you'll like the results you get with the exercise.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficit you will not be gaining muscle. However, Pilates works the muscles and can result in them holding onto extra water, which would likely account for the weight gain you experienced.

It's only been two weeks so give it a couple more weeks. If you still don't see any losses then it is likely you are not eating at a deficit, which could indicate inaccuracies in your logging.

This
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Also, weigh fluctuates. It's going to happen throughout your weight loss. I'm in maintenance and it still happens. Here are my weigh-ins for the past couple of weeks:

127.4 126 126.2 127 126.2 125.6 125.6
    126.1 127.6 127.1 126.6 126 126.6 126.2
    126.2 127 127.2 125.6 125

When I'm going for lifting PRs, eating out a lot, or retaining water for hormonal reasons I can go up to about 129 lbs. Just watch the overall trend and try not to worry about individual weigh-ins.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    water retention - it and your weight will soon settle down and you'll be losing weight steadily again.
  • Kel1677
    Kel1677 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a pilates power gym and I love it. It has a rebounder and adjustable resistance. I even got a monthly subscription to The fitness channel for $5 a month and they have a bunch of pilates power gym workouts! I am gonna get serious about using it again. I feel amazing after work outs. Give it a couple of more weeks. I stalled weight loss when I used it last time but I definable wan toning. After a couple of weeks I started losing again. Give a few more weeks and drink plenty of water and eat at deficit. You will love the results.
    How do you track you pilates on mfp? Haven't quite figured that out yet
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    How do you track you pilates on mfp? Haven't quite figured that out yet

Pilates is listed in the database under cardio exercises.
  • hooloubu
    hooloubu Posts: 4
    Options
    Seriously?

I need to start pilates. Missing out on some serious gains.

Yeah seriously; why would I post otherwise?
    I have over 2 st til my target (middle of healthy range on bmi), so any stall is pretty soul destroying.
    I'm trying to take this seriously and not be too easy on myself, otherwise what's the point? I will never achieve my goals if I'm lackadaisical!
  • hooloubu
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I do enjoy it and definitely feel it in the days after workout, so I must be doing something right :)
    I go with a friend who is already at target, so to her a minimal gain or maintain is nothing, but to me it's horrible.

I really do get that to some I will come across as a drama queen; but in the days I struggle the hardest I try and motivate myself by thinking "this week I'll see a loss", so when I don't I feel like I'm setting myself up for a bad week.

Plus I said to myself that when I hit 5 st loss I'll treat myself, so it's like a form of torture being only 4.5lbs away lol
  • hooloubu
    Options

I only started using MFP again yesterday, so am not sure how well I've stayed within a certain number of calories. I normally lose on average 1lb a week, so I'm assuming I am generally eating at a deficit. .
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

I only started using MFP again yesterday, so am not sure how well I've stayed within a certain number of calories. I normally lose on average 1lb a week, so I'm assuming I am generally eating at a deficit. .

Never assume. Count and track instead.

If you have the question "Why am I not losing weight?"....

Then this is the single best reality check read on the internet today: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

So clearly not the pilates.

Exercise = good.
    Tracking = good.
    Long term view = good.

Do the good and there will be no souls crushes.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Instead of relying solely on the scale for gratification and encouragement, I would buy a measuring tape. The scale does not accurately represent your hard work.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Everybody pretty much nailed it. Worried about 0.5lb gain in weight? When you hit +5lbs or more and you're not right around your TOM, then be concerned; otherwise don't stress the small stuff.