The most filling vegetable is....

Options
...the sweet potato! In my humble opinion, anyway:)

This is my first post and I wanted to use it to make a suggestion to anyone just starting out and dealing with HUNGER PANGS!

I recently included sweet potatoes into my diet was SHOCKED to find that a large sweet potato is extremely filling!

I will simply pop one into the microwave and enjoy it with pepper and Earth Balance buttery spread and have it alongside a calorie-portioned main dish, and even though it's not my favorite veggie in the world, it's doing wonders for dealing with the uncomfortable transition of eating less than I'm used to - and for someone trying to recover from a life time of binge eating, that's saying a lot! :)

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are among my faves. I prefer them mashed, with just salt and a little fresh ground nutmeg.

Butternut squash is another fave, very similar in taste but a lighter texture, less starchy, and also way fewer calories.
  • DecemberPsalm
    DecemberPsalm Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, butternut squash is awesome toooo! Great weight loss foods.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    steak
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I find broccoli (particularly steamed) to also be great for filling you up!
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm a green bean fan (the frozen, steamable variety) and I can't say they're as filling as a sweet potato or squash, but I know you can eat a ton of them with little penalty as far as calories go.
  • lisakozol
    lisakozol Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Cabbage. I actually don't know if it has much nutritional value (I just have not bothered to look it up yet), but it totally fills me up. And I love it!! Especially with oil and vinegar-- mostly vinegar.
  • emilylittle5494
    emilylittle5494 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    pumpkin!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Are they even a veggie?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Cabbage, it fills me with so much gas so quickly there's no room for anything but pain and charcoal tablets.
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump:happy:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    One wrapped in lots of bacon :drinker:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    687b9b9f298ca630641d21d303c7e6c0.jpg