Half Assing my Weight Loss Lately.

Options
For the last few months I have been having some major struggles staying on track. Since last May, I have lost 49lbs, 2 pant sizes and a shirt size. I have been going through the motions... working out 3+ times a week. I tend to have 2-3 really good eating days a week but then somewhere along the way I screw up and overeat (WAY overeat) 2-3 days a week.

I feel like I am having a huge mental struggle to get back into it. I am just looking for ways to get motivated. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    OPTION #1: Reduce the overeating days for the next month to 2, then to 1.....well you get the idea.

OPTION #2: Reassess why you wanted to change.

OPTION #3: Take a look at a whole *kitten*<
    see my profile pic; no actually it was a dog I was carrying. But I digress; ugh. So OPTION 3, change your workouts up; try fitness blender, a swim, a strenuous hike. . . .anything.

OPTION #4: Ask MFP friends for a few polite kicks in the backside on your wall.

OPTION #5: Just don't ask, if you need to ask it may be to late. Peace.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Keep moving forward. Keep the habit of working out. Make your life the way you want it to be. Some friends and I were just discussing this today. We don't always see big losses consistently on the scale- but here's the truth:

We keep eating healthy.
    We keep lifting.
    We keep enjoying our life today.

Motivation is fleeting. The habits and incorporating them into your idea of happy is what works over time.
  • DeeBerning
    DeeBerning Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Try shaking things up a bit... maybe a new fitness routine or a new workout buddy. You can do this. Look at the amazing things you have already accomplished!!!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    stand in front of a full length mirror in your underwear... happy? no? put down the cake and go work out!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    When this happened to me, I took a break from logging and working out for a week. By the end of that week I was ready to get back to the gym. The eating took longer to get under control, but it eventually happened.

Sometimes you need to stop and reevaluate what you're doing.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    stand in front of a full length mirror in your underwear... happy? no? put down the cake and go work out!

Honestly, should you ever stand in front of a mirror in underwear holding cake? Eat cake first, then stand. Ugh. :flowerforyou:
  • shellya30
    shellya30 Posts: 21
    Options
    OPTION #1: Reduce the overeating days for the next month to 2, then to 1.....well you get the idea.

OPTION #2: Reassess why you wanted to change.

OPTION #3: Take a look at a whole *kitten*<
    see my profile pic; no actually it was a dog I was carrying. But I digress; ugh. So OPTION 3, change your workouts up; try fitness blender, a swim, a strenuous hike. . . .anything.

OPTION #4: Ask MFP friends for a few polite kicks in the backside on your wall.

OPTION #5: Just don't ask, if you need to ask it may be to late. Peace.

This is an AWESOME response. Thank you _Terrapin_! You gave me some motivation I need :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Honestly, should you ever stand in front of a mirror in underwear holding cake? Eat cake first, then stand. Ugh. :flowerforyou:

dont know what you mean, all my progress pictures include cake!!! :wink:
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When I need a shot in the arm, I go back through my old diaries/logs and look at how far I've come and what I can do now. For example in January, I could barely run up one flight of steps without gasping and two days ago I ran 5k straight. I fought with my little five pound dumbells, now I use a barbell and lift actual weight ;) - When I look at this, it is the result of daily efforts over the course of several months. I ask myself - do I want to go back to being out of breath, exhausted and weak? Or do I want to stay strong and energetic and keep improving like I am now?

I am more motivated by keeping track of my "wins" - I struggle with stress eating and part of that is getting to the heart of what causes those fears/anxieties to trigger eating. Instead of eating, I have replaced this with exercise, reading, anything that is beneficial to me that takes me out of my head a bit - but doesn't lend itself to mindlessly eating stuff.

Focus on what you "do" want - not the frustrations you feel. Those frustrations are valid, but they aren't the whole reality. Look at what you can do now you couldn't before. Maybe make a list - I have a running list where I can see all my measurements drop right in front of me - from a 37 inch waist in March to a 33 inch now - and still progressing :) it's motivating for sure! Good luck.
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Sign up for something challenging. Something you'd need to train for. A race, preferrably of the mud variety.

I did an 8k mud race two weekends ago! It gave me a mega boost but now I am just falling back out of it!
  • amandarawr06
    Options

Haha, always eat the cake first.
  • amandarawr06
    Options
    Some really great ideas guys! Thanks!!!
  • amandarawr06
    Options
    When I need a shot in the arm, I go back through my old diaries/logs and look at how far I've come and what I can do now. For example in January, I could barely run up one flight of steps without gasping and two days ago I ran 5k straight. I fought with my little five pound dumbells, now I use a barbell and lift actual weight ;) - When I look at this, it is the result of daily efforts over the course of several months. I ask myself - do I want to go back to being out of breath, exhausted and weak? Or do I want to stay strong and energetic and keep improving like I am now?

I am more motivated by keeping track of my "wins" - I struggle with stress eating and part of that is getting to the heart of what causes those fears/anxieties to trigger eating. Instead of eating, I have replaced this with exercise, reading, anything that is beneficial to me that takes me out of my head a bit - but doesn't lend itself to mindlessly eating stuff.

Focus on what you "do" want - not the frustrations you feel. Those frustrations are valid, but they aren't the whole reality. Look at what you can do now you couldn't before. Maybe make a list - I have a running list where I can see all my measurements drop right in front of me - from a 37 inch waist in March to a 33 inch now - and still progressing :) it's motivating for sure! Good luck.

Amazing idea. Thank you so much.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    For me, primary motivation is a stubborn refusal to go back to where I was. I do still backslide though - just recovering from one now. Went on vacation about 1.5 months ago, let myself indulge with the intention of getting right back on track when I got back home...but that didn't work out so well. While I didn't completely lose control and continued to exercise, I stopped logging and my indulgence days were becoming more and more frequent. Then this Wednesday came and one of my favorite pairs of jeans was a lot tighter than I remember them being. As I said, I refuse to let myself go again so that was just the wake up call I needed.

There's nothing wrong with going back to square one. Now that you're close to your goal weight, make sure you've updated your weekly weight loss goal so your daily calories are reasonable (see table below). Maybe make some new goals like wanting to run a 5k or compete in a bike race or kayak race. Or try some new exercise classes/programs. Join or start a group of like minded people to help give you support. Etc etc...
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Honestly you just have to decide to to it. Doing it half assed will get half assed results. You know that and would probably expect that.
    Recommit. You either do or don't. There's really no gray area.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Glossysweets
    Options
    Hmmmm...I would have to say honor yourself.

Make it fun. Do activities you like. Eat a little bit of what you what each day (if you are denying yourself - because then it will feel like a chore).

Are you happy where you are? Don't let anyone else tell you where you should be or should be going, if you are happy with where you are then it would be time to maintain .

If you still have a goal in mind and you have not reached it yet then perhaps you are hitting a place where you are not sure if you will reach it? Just remember what your goal is and honor that. Being truthful with yourself and honoring your own desires can help make a huge mental shift. But don't beat yourself up about where you aren't yet or the mistakes you have made...everyday is a new day.

You have had such good success and it seems your workout routines have become habit which is awesome! So keep it up and change it up if you need to. Friends on MFP are always here to help support too. Good Luck.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Did anyone mention cake?