emaciated athletes?

Options
Having watched part of the Olympic marathon on the box I must admit that the bodies of the female runners look unhealthy to me....bones jutting out and some muscle ...no curves at all! I think they look too thin, anyone agree? How on earth do they maintain the stamina to do it...

Replies

• chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Having watched part of the Olympic marathon on the box I must admit that the bodies of the female runners look unhealthy to me....bones jutting out and some muscle ...no curves at all! I think they look too thin, anyone agree? How on earth do they maintain the stamina to do it...
  • carmenberard
    Options
    I totally agree, but some people just naturally have that athletic body like my friend who is a runner, even when she's bad and slows her running she's still small....That's not me at all :wink:
  • magdalune
    magdalune Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Most athletes have very minimal body fat just by virtue of all the training they do - it's why they're able to eat more calories, but it's also why they're still unable to eat as many calories as they should. Maybe Phelps can manage 12K calories a day, but I'm full by 2K myself, and 2800 is probably the most I've ever managed to eat.

Most of the definition you see on the athletes is bone, muscle, and organs. Until they stop training, they probably won't have enough body fat - and it's probably more aerodynamic when they don't. They don't, however, appear emaciated to me. They look healthy from where I'm sitting - emaciated, to me, means skeletal, not enough fat and muscle.
  • Steffykins
    Steffykins Posts: 176
    Options

Yeah I was watching Paula Radcliffe, our UK entry in womens running and she looks gaunt. While they're probably really healthy, they look a bit scary! I like my bum and boobs and waist...and I hate running :laugh:
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options

Yeah I was watching Paula Radcliffe, our UK entry in womens running and she looks gaunt. While they're probably really healthy, they look a bit scary! I like my bum and boobs and waist...and I hate running :laugh:

Oh, yeah, I hear ya on the hatin' of the runnin'!!!!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Running is for those who haven't figured out how to ride a bicycle :tongue:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I think it's just all a question of your sport molding your body. If I was running for 26 miles (and mind you that is the biggest IF ever) the last thing I would want is an extra ounce of body weight to carry. Also, I can't imagine the amount of physical training that goes in to that.

My favorite thing about the olympics is how different the athlete's bodies look in different sports. If I saw the majority of the olympic-class heavy power lifters or shot putters on the street, I would have no idea they were a world class athlete. . .they'd just look big.

Long distance runners are their own special animal, long and lean. Which is one of the major reasons I'll never be a long distance runner. Oh, that and the actual having to run part. . .:wink:
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options

thats what I mean, straight up and down ... not into running /jogging either!
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I dont' think they look too skinny-they are top Athletes and no doubt train as many hours and one would work at a full-time job. I would expect them to be all muscle and very little fat. There is a difference between unhealthy skinny and atheletic thin-not all atheles are going to look like the Williams sisters!
  • houstonfan
    Options
    From a guys perspective - the beach volleyball players and the marathoners do nothing for me. I want some curves in my women I look at.

74984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Starr
    Starr Posts: 45
    Options
    Branagh and Youngs look great ... I haven't worn a two piece bathing suit in 40 years - but I sure could go for those flat bellies!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    From a guys perspective - the beach volleyball players and the marathoners do nothing for me. I want some curves in my women I look at.

74984.png

spoken like a true brother! Cause I'd have to kick your butt! lol JK
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options

I was noticing how horribly thin they were too. It is so not attractive. But, they have to be in great shape to run that long, that's for sure!! My brother is in China watching the Olympics, I am so jealous!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Well, here's one that's not--my hero! She plays for the Italian Water Polo team and is their star player. Their site claims she's 6'1" and weighs 220lbs. {ahem} if she's 220 then call me "Stick Woman"!!

fbac3825916d21e9e8bf577c2af8d368-ge.jpg
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Maybe she is a tall girl...tall people usually carry their weight really well.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    WOW, a lot of haters here...:grumble:

My two cents: No they look like runners....:happy:

I do like running and would love to run a marathon when I get there.. it is a LOT of hard work and a LOT of training. Yes, I like my curves too but these woman are performing elite level running -- and each body is shaped to the sport.

Jealousy and envy are not pretty... :laugh:
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    I think they all look pretty good. They have the right body type for their sport, and have developed it carefully over many years. Just my 2 cents.
  • Steffykins
    Steffykins Posts: 176
    Options

I do like running and would love to run a marathon when I get there.. it is a LOT of hard work and a LOT of training. Yes, I like my curves too but these woman are performing elite level running -- and each body is shaped to the sport.

Yeah they look like runners and are lean mean muscle machines!! But I just don't think it's attractive...but then again I hate muscles on men aswell, they gimme the creeps.

I'd rather look like me than Paula Radcliffe. Plus she peed on the street during one her marathons and the whole world saw :laugh:

PaulaRadcliffe_669_17591957_0_0_982.jpg
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options

Yeah they look like runners and are lean mean muscle machines!! But I just don't think it's attractive...but then again I hate muscles on men aswell, they gimme the creeps.

I'd rather look like me than Paula Radcliffe. Plus she peed on the street during one her marathons and the whole world saw :laugh:

PaulaRadcliffe_669_17591957_0_0_982.jpg

Too funny.. you know I have a story on this one... a girl I went to boot camp with peed herself (her words) every day we ran -- which was every day. Poor thing.

I don't necessarily find it an attractive figure either but ya gotta give credit where credit is due.. I like a lean, soft body not a body fat free body!! Hopefully that makes sense.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options

74984.png

Aye yup! I've said it before, and I'll say it again.... gimme all the right curves, in all the right places!
    Dara_Torres-2.jpg