The first step is always the hardest

Options
I'm the typical overweight woman you may have bumped into or may even be! I have tried diet fads, I have had more gym memberships than I care to remember and I have a million excuses as to why I'm *still* a size 16-18 despite my numerous status updates on Facebook about how I'm "gonna totally lose the weight now!" for the past couple of years.

I was actually doing pretty good til about 2 months ago. I had dropped a size and I was ecstatic. And then we (my fiance and I) went on a week long vacation and we gorged ourselves silly. The difference between my fiance and I is that he is maybe 5 lbs over weight and I'm at least 70lbs over the scales. We got engaged there, came back and celebrated some more. And I stopped going to the gym because work got crazy (Christmas in retail is hell, lemme tell ya that). I wasn't watching what I was eating and I gained the weight I had lost.

I promised myself on New Year's that I'd go to the gym the next day and get back on track because I HAD to lose the weight. I'm getting married next year and I don't want to look like my dress was spray painted on me. The next day came and I felt lazy. The next day, same thing. And the next and the next.

Today, I logged back onto MFP. I looked at my homepage and saw 0lbs lost. I went to the message boards and read the success stories. I took a long hard look at myself in the mirror and said that's it.

I went to the gym. I worked out for about an hour. I had sweat pouring down my tshirt. I felt my tummy jiggle as I ran on the treadmill. My gluts groaned as I hit the bike. My arms were screaming as I forced myself to do push ups.

And I don't regret it now. I do regret taking so long to get back into the swing of things. So if you're like me and you WANT to make a change, DO IT NOW. Don't wait for tomorrow. If you've had a big lunch, have a light dinner and go for a walk! Do IT NOW!

You're not alone in this and I know I'm not either. Our bodies deserve to be treated better and we deserve to feel good about ourselves.

Replies

• monica208
    monica208 Posts: 229
    Options
    great for you for getting re-established on your weight loss... this is probably my millionth time trying to lose weight... add me as a friend and we can keep each other on track
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Great point - and very motivational! :)
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Remember it's not all or nothing. If you mess up and eat something you shouldn't, it doesn't mean you have to start over. Just pick yourself back up and keep going. You also do not have to do it all at once. My first two months was just diet adjustment, and I only added exercise this last week.
  • Lifedreamer
    Options
    /cheer
    It sure does hit hard to see that weight tracker go back to zero. The time that determines who you are is whether you decide to be depressed and eat a gallon of ice cream or get re-motivated and back in the game! Just started my meter again earlier this week after a horrible weight gain year, never let it keep you down! Good Luck!
  • amethystprincess
    amethystprincess Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good job on getting up and saying today was the day. I did that as well, on Jan 3rd, I got up and said no to the soda that I would normally start my day off with to wake up and instead made myself a glass of milk and a bowl of Cream of Wheat. And since then I have done the same thing.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    This is amazing. Remember this day: January 10th, 2011. This is a BIG day. This is a day that makes all of those other tries and attempts disappear because this is the one that is going to stick. This is the day that starts your success story. You can do this! I'm so excited for you! You obviously know the right steps to take! You got back on the bike, you've started riding! You remember how! Now just keep pedaling! I cannot wait to see your before and after pictures. To read your story. Don't give up girl! You've got spirit and strength to fight for yourself! :o) Congratulation on starting chapter one!!! :flowerforyou:
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the words of encouragement :) I appreciate it! I truly do. It's amazing what a community can do.

And if it helps someone else get off their couch and into their trainers, good on ya!