Are you in the 97%?

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes, though I do it on purpose over and over again (bulk and cut cycles)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add...these numbers are from "dieters", people who use "diets' to lose weight instead of eating all food with portion control and calorie counting.

Diets don't work...you lose the weight, don't learn anything because you ate what you were told to, then go back to "normal" and gain it back.
    I'd bet those statistics are from all groups.
    i think she means they are that high because of dieters
    I think everyone except MFPers would consider "portion control with calorie counting" to be dieting. A lot of diets besides calorie counting don't involve 'eating what you're told to', also.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I was never fat during childhood but I was chunky on and off. Shortly after I turned 17, I started packing on the pounds and kept them on for the next 20 years. Of course I tried dieting but nothing worked long term, mostly because it was either a "diet" (restrictive) and/or I wasn't fully invested. Thankfully all that changed about 4.5 years ago.

While I'm not yet to goal, I've basically maintained for the last two years which gives me a lot of hope of being in that 3%. I'm still working on some bad eating habits and negative thinking but it gets a little easier every day.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add...these numbers are from "dieters", people who use "diets' to lose weight instead of eating all food with portion control and calorie counting.

Diets don't work...you lose the weight, don't learn anything because you ate what you were told to, then go back to "normal" and gain it back.
    I think everyone except MFPers would consider "portion control with calorie counting" to be dieting. A lot of diets besides calorie counting don't involve 'eating what you're told to', also.
    yea i see where your coming from, i meant the "fad" dieters though like weight watchers and whatnot who just go back to the old ways once they lose weight.

either way i feel like this is sort of a dumb statistic (that for some reason in the past week has taken been broken down and discussed on at least 5 different threads). if you really want to keep the weight off then it is more than possible unless there are underlying medical issues (and even then its still possible, just harder), i think most people will agree on that one
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    ...of people who lose weight..only to gain it back again. Over and over. Yoyo up and down..often with an overall net gain over the years. Studies have shown that only 3% of people who lose weight can maintain it for more than 5 years. I have my own ideas about why this is. Also, people who grew up normal sized, got fat in adulthood, then lost weight are more likely to be in the 3% than those who were fat as children. Grim stats...but I think if we can gain an understanding of what the 3% are doing differently...that would be a good start.

From what I can tell, 3% ers don't see weight loss as a goal with an end date. They know they will probably always have to be diligent, and they accept that is the case. They don't lose the weight, celebrate with a pizza, and think it's going to just magically stay off. They accept that their habits have to completely change for life, not just for the "loss" part of the journey. Also, 3% ers don't see healthy lifestyle as "punishement". They see health, energy, fitness and nutritious food as positive and a welcome change..not a chore.

I'm curious to hear from 3% ers, and others on how they feel they are distinguished from the 97% that fails at long term health goals.

I have no proof that I am a 3%-er, because I am still overweight and therefore obviously have not maintained my goal weight for any length of time. But I would like to think of myself as one of that group, because most points that apply to those who keep their weight off also apply to me.
    I was within normal weight until I was 55 ( I am 66 now ) and weighed a max of 55 kilos and as little as 43 kilos when I was younger ( 95-120 pounds at 4'11") which means that for 55 years I managed my weight well. Through circumstances ( culture of origin, cultures I lived in , a very active job interests that promoted an active and healthy life style, hobbies etc ) I never got into what I would call the " typical American diet " that included lots of fast food, processed stuff, added sugar an fat, empty calories with a fairly sedentary lifestyle.
    I got overweight/obese because through unfortunate circumstances ( a divorce I did not expect, thyroid problems that ended up with a cancer diagnosis and a somewhat difficult recovery at the same time as a difficult menopause, flaring up of life long, but well controlled RA plus the diagnosis of rampant systemic Lupus, which I am still battling right now ) I started to what I call " self pity eating " . I kept on eating healthy food, but much too much of it. I ate on average 3-4 cups of rice each day, plus bread with almost each meal, pasta several times a week usually with a 200 gram portion per meal ( that are 3.5 servings per meal ).
    I don't snack, but am a volume eater and my portions were enormous. I also ate often two avocados a day. And while all those things are healthy.....I ingested too many calories for my size.
    I eat a natural diet that is minimally processed ( and I want to make clear that I mean industrial and chemical processing and not what facetious minds here on MFP call processing which is usually salting, drying, grinding, chopping or freezing among other things ) and have all my life and will not change that. Within that frame I eat exactly what I like. It's just not what most people seem to think I should like. I would prefer cauliflower with cheese sauce over pizza, hamburgers, doughnuts, pop tarts etc any day. I have never in all my 66 years ordered a pizza, have not eaten a fast food hamburger in maybe 30 years and since I like my lifestyle I don't have to eat 80/20 of anything to be able to survive it. I have been on MFP for something like 440 days, have never had a cheat meal or cheat day, because there is no reason to cheat. I also have not been over my calories for more than 200, because I know that as a very short person I am just fine with the amount of calories I eat. I don't feel deprived and yes, I feel that I could go on forever with the way I eat........as long as I eat normal portions . That is something I need to watch always I think and therefore expect to log my food as long as I live, but that is a small price to pay, just like brushing my teeth several times a day for good oral health or taking a shower each day for good hygiene. But yes, I think I have an excellent chance to be part of the 3% .
    Btw: I have lost 50 pounds so far even though I have no thyroid and take high amounts of cortisone each day, plus a cortisone drip each month and have never complained about it being " impossible " to lose weight because of it. I slowly have lost weight ( 50 pounds in a year is not bad....averages out to just under a pound a week ) and will continue to do so until I am at goal.
  • veggie_jilly
    Options
    After my first year of college, I was technically obese. I lost 30 pounds on Weight Watchers, bringing me into the "normal" range, and I have kept that off since 2006. Since then I lost 20 more on my own. I have yoyo'ed with only the last 10, which are vanity pounds - I am well within the healthy weight range for my height.

It's a lifetime thing for me. It didn't stop when I met my goal because I know I always have to keep an eye on it. I also know I can have whatever I want if I can fit it in my calorie goal, or I can work out a little extra to make up for it. This has kept me from ever feeling deprived, and honestly why it has been sustainable in the long run. I also don't beat myself up over a "bad" day here and there. I just make sure to get back on track after. When I get too close to the high end of my comfortable weight range, I know it's time to get myself back in check. I'm not saying to weigh in daily or count calories every single day even after your goal is met. Just do what works for you to keep yourself in check, and the weight will stay off.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am in the 3% (though I am going on year 3 of maintaining, not 5) but I also fall into the “was an averaged sized child, got fat in adulthood” camp. I gained weight once I graduated college and settled into a sedentary office job but was a healthy weight up until that point. I finally decided to lose weight at age 34.

I knew after I joined MFP and the weight started dropping off that I never wanted to be overweight again (I lost 30 pounds total). After my first 10 pound loss, I knew this was a lifestyle change and not a passing diet and I changed my habits accordingly. Everything I did had the “big picture” in mind. For example, I didn’t beat myself up for going over calories one day because I ate a cheeseburger or birthday cake…I knew that I wanted cheeseburgers and birthday cake in my life and I needed to learn how to eat foods like that from time to time while maintaining my weight. After 6 months of maintenance I stopped counting calories all together because I finally knew what a moderate portion looked like for me. I now know instinctively when I should stop eating by sizing up the amount of food on my plate, even if I don’t feel completely full. Learning this (thanks to MFP) was key to my success.

A simple thing every morning that I no longer have to do: look in the mirror and decide if whatever I am wearing makes me look too fat. I used to do this every day and some things made my hips look too big, accentuated my gut, etc. Now I just dress and go with no criticizing myself in the mirror. I know I look good! When I feel good (or bad) about myself, it affects my marriage, my relationship with loved ones, my work, and the way I carry myself in general. I view good nutrition and keeping at a healthy weight as something kind that I do for myself on a daily basis, not as a chore or some onerous task.
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It is definitely upsetting to keep hearing this statistic, though I think we've all nailed it on the head in determining the reasoning behind it - most people diet with an end goal in sight. Once the goal is reached, the diet is over. Then the weight creeps back on.

I am a victim of this, though in my many futile attempts in the past, I never even made it to my end goal. I would lose about 10 lbs, get bored and go back to my old eating habits. I have literally tried it all - WW, South Beach, The Cookie Diet (yes, I know), Medifast, Atkins. None of those diets were sustainable for me.

Sometime last summer, a switch went off in my head. A good friend convinced me to run the Warrior Dash with her and though I had been casually working out, I was terrified that I wouldn't make it through. Somehow, I finished the run and obstacles because I told myself that I was going to. And I realized that I was capable of more than I ever thought. Then I was in a yoga class a few days later and I was watching the instructor and remarking to myself how great she looked. And then a voice in my head said to me, "you can look like that, too." Suddenly, it all seemed possible.

I found MFP, which really put my eating and energy expenditure into perspective. I began dropping about 1-2 lbs a week just working out on my own. Then I tried a free CrossFit class and I was hooked. I began crossfitting 5-6 days a week, counting calories and by December I had lost 30 lbs. Since December, the weight loss plateaued slightly and it took much longer to get those last 5 lbs off. I started at 195 back in August 2013 and I am now teetering between 160-164 at 5'9" with an average, athletic build. I am now in maintenance mode and have been able to maintain for the last 3-6 months.

I am now one of those people I used to envy - I love working out and I look forward to it all day! I'm 31 and I am in the best shape of my life.

For me, I think the weight loss worked this time because I didn't view it as a diet. I made a lifestyle change that I've been able to stick with. I still count calories and I am still careful about what I eat. If I know am going out to eat I make sure I am careful throughout the day to balance that. If I had a particularly bad eating weekend, I am careful throughout the week to counter it. I weigh in every Wednesday so I know if I am getting off track. Even when I travel I find time to work out or I visit a CrossFit box and get a workout in. I don't deny myself of certain foods. If I want a burger, I have it. If I want dessert, I have it. I just don't have it every day! The mentality of moderation has helped me and I never feel like I am missing out.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    ...of people who lose weight..only to gain it back again. Over and over. Yoyo up and down..often with an overall net gain over the years. Studies have shown that only 3% of people who lose weight can maintain it for more than 5 years. I have my own ideas about why this is. Also, people who grew up normal sized, got fat in adulthood, then lost weight are more likely to be in the 3% than those who were fat as children. Grim stats...but I think if we can gain an understanding of what the 3% are doing differently...that would be a good start.

From what I can tell, 3% ers don't see weight loss as a goal with an end date. They know they will probably always have to be diligent, and they accept that is the case. They don't lose the weight, celebrate with a pizza, and think it's going to just magically stay off. They accept that their habits have to completely change for life, not just for the "loss" part of the journey. Also, 3% ers don't see healthy lifestyle as "punishement". They see health, energy, fitness and nutritious food as positive and a welcome change..not a chore.

I'm curious to hear from 3% ers, and others on how they feel they are distinguished from the 97% that fails at long term health goals.
    I lost fifty a while ago, but lost it so quickly I lost my period along with it plus I ended up going to a nutritionist who asked me if I " throw up " after seeing all the foods that were on my "forbidden " list. I'm in a much better place now. I've run 7 marathons since then, so the exercise is not an issue for me, I just ate more than what I could burn off so I put twenty back on or so. I'm only taking off little more than that because I want to get down to race weight. I have a much better perspective on food and a much more laud back attitude about it now-- which probably contributed to gaining some weight back, but really at the time, I needed that. Not having your period and getting stress fractures due to overexercising is NOT healthy. I am now able to rein in my eating without getting obsessive.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

yea i see where your coming from, i meant the "fad" dieters though like weight watchers and whatnot who just go back to the old ways once they lose weight.

either way i feel like this is sort of a dumb statistic (that for some reason in the past week has taken been broken down and discussed on at least 5 different threads). if you really want to keep the weight off then it is more than possible unless there are underlying medical issues (and even then its still possible, just harder), i think most people will agree on that one
    I tend to agree that it's a dumb statistic because weight maintenance is a lifelong thing not a "try once and solve it" thing. If 95% of skydivers flubbed it no one would sky dive but if 95% of golfers flubbed their first putt, does that mean they should quit golfing? Or students should quit school after failing a test? Some things you only learn by practicing.

Trust me that people on WW (which is hardly a 'fad diet' at 50+ years, even calories were invented only 160 years ago) also have every intention of keeping their newly learned habits for life. WW even lets you go free and have their tools free if you can maintain.

Grapefruit diets, Master Cleanse, cabbage soup, HCG--For those I agree, people probably don't intend to keep those around.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

This is true for many, but not all. I lost 54 pounds by eating all foods in moderation, and logging consistently. I exercised, and ate back the calories. I lost most of the weight eating 1600 to 1800 calories a day. I did not overly restrict, and I did not diet. But I am back up 25 pounds now because I got to maintenance and failed. Despite all I had learned.

Your story is very common. All the evidence we have suggests that most people regain their weight, regardless of the original method of loss or rate of loss.

The assumptions made in the post you quoted are exactly the reason I made a thread asking for evidence regarding this recently. None was provided.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right" - Henry Ford
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

To me: counting/weighing/ logging is as much dieting as "eat less than X grams of whatever, or "aim for whole grains and lean proteins" or "eat mostly plants" or whatever. And what is "sustainable" depends on the individual.
  • zeussmith718
    zeussmith718 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey look I finally made it.. I guess I can take a few days off and it shouldnt hurt.......
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Who knows? Hopefully. All we can do is try. I've never regained weight that I've lost but that could change at any time.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right" - Henry Ford

↑↑↑↑↑ THIS ↑↑↑↑↑
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

This is true for many, but not all. I lost 54 pounds by eating all foods in moderation, and logging consistently. I exercised, and ate back the calories. I lost most of the weight eating 1600 to 1800 calories a day. I did not overly restrict, and I did not diet. But I am back up 25 pounds now because I got to maintenance and failed. Despite all I had learned.

Your story is very common. All the evidence we have suggests that most people regain their weight, regardless of the original method of loss or rate of loss.

The assumptions made in the post you quoted are exactly the reason I made a thread asking for evidence regarding this recently. None was provided.

Maintenance is actually more difficult than people think. You may or may not be successful without continuing to calorie count. When I lost my initial weight, it taught me about calories. In the back of my mind, throughout the years, I have kept vigilant and kept count even if I was not officially logging. That is what is known as learning moderation.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Been in the 97% and the 3%.

I'm now part of the minority who has lost a 100lbs or more.

Since I've lost weight before, thought it was absurd that I would ever regain, and then did so after maintaining the majority of my weight loss for about 5 years, DOUBLING in gain what I originally lost, I've accepted that even the "success" stories you see sometimes end up as failures.

I'm in a totally different place now than I was back then, with myself and food. I feel ready to be a part of the small minority that keeps the weight off for good. But I've been humbled and I refuse to get all haughty again. I'll have to keep diligent for all my life. I hope that I do. There are no guarantees that I will.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Hey look I finally made it.. I guess I can take a few days off and it shouldnt hurt.......

Haha. I know how that goes. A few days becomes weeks becomes months becomes oh nooooooooo!

But that really should only happen the first time someone loses weight and reaches their goal. After that, we all know better. But it happens to many of us again anyway. More is going on here.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options

Maintenance is actually more difficult than people think. You may or may not be successful without continuing to calorie count. When I lost my initial weight, it taught me about calories. In the back of my mind, throughout the years, I have kept vigilant and kept count even if I was not officially logging. That is what is known as learning moderation.

I agree with you! Maintenance is difficult to me - I had never been able to do it before. After the last time I lost weight, I held onto that loss for over a year and a half. I learned that I still need to watch what I eat, how much I eat, and continue exercising at the level I was. You "know" that this must be a lifestyle change, but maintenance is where you really learn the meaning of that phrase. If it wasn't for my thyroid going wonky, I'd still be maintaining because I've learned my lesson and worked to change my behaviors and attitude towards food. Finally.