Float trippin'

Options
Mikkimeow
Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
Every year, a group of my friends, including my husband and I, go on a three day float trip during the summer. We camp, drink, act like idiots, then return to our desk jobs Monday morning. This year of float tripping is a little different for me. At the end of June I am running a 5k literally the same night I leave for the float trip. As soon as the race ends, I am hopping in my car and driving three hours to blissful peace and quiet.

I want to stay fairly healthy while on this trip, and was wondering if any one had tips on eating healthy and staying hydrated while camping. What lower calorie drinks do you bring with you? Because I'll be on an inner tube most of those days, what are some fairly non processed pre packaged (water proof) foods to take? Should I say screw it and bring a box of wine and supplies to make smores?

Replies

• Mikkimeow
    Options
    Fine. I'll hijack my own thread with gifs.

ctng.gif
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Eat before/after you float down the river. If you don't have food available, you're not going to binge on it.

Alcohol: Vodka/Moonshine -- gets the job done faster with less calories.

Edit: Also, don't over-do it on the unhealthy snacks when packing for your trip. Once you got a good buzz going on, all good judgement goes out the window. It's a lot easier to have control while packing than when you're already at camp and start making excuses for yourself (i.e. this is all there is, I'm drunk so what, etc. etc.).
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    If its only once a year, than why not enjoy the trip and just eat what you want? I don't know what to suggest for waterproof foods though. I would recommend lots of drinking water to stay hydrated but other than that, not sure what to suggest.
  • Mikkimeow
    Options
    Eat before/after you float down the river. If you don't have food available, you're not going to binge on it.

Alcohol: Vodka/Moonshine -- gets the job done faster with less calories.

Edit: Also, don't over-do it on the unhealthy snacks when packing for your trip. Once you got a good buzz going on, all good judgement goes out the window. It's a lot easier to have control while packing than when you're already at camp and start making excuses for yourself (i.e. this is all there is, I'm drunk so what, etc. etc.).

These are smart! Last year we took some fruit soaked in vodka, and traded this guy who had cherries in a bottle of moonshine. Like fire down my throat, but still amazing. We also took sandwiches, which did not survive the float once we tipped over. haha.
  • Mikkimeow
    Options
    If its only once a year, than why not enjoy the trip and just eat what you want? I don't know what to suggest for waterproof foods though. I would recommend lots of drinking water to stay hydrated but other than that, not sure what to suggest.

I would normally say that, but my eating has been pretty on point while training for my 5k, and I have another one two weeks after. I don't want to blow it all in one weekend. I want to learn how to make this a lifestyle, including vacations.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Options

I would normally say that, but my eating has been pretty on point while training for my 5k, and I have another one two weeks after. I don't want to blow it all in one weekend. I want to learn how to make this a lifestyle, including vacations.

smart girl. Also, celery will survive a tip-over. =]
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Once a year!! I would just enjoy!! It's only 3 days AND you're running a 5k to kick off the weekend! If anything....just exercise moderation, don't eat until you're stuffed. And when Monday back to reality rolls around....go back to your healthy habits.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    We do the same thing every year. We live on sandwiches and booze and don't think to care about gaining weight. I pound some gatorade with some eggs each morning them commence with the vodka and diet tonics. We work off the calories by riding our bikes to the drop point 2 or three times a day.

I guess our situation is a bit different. We have a drop point up river, then float down to our campsite a few times. All of our food stays at camp.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    Just read your response. Sorry, not sure what to bring. :ohwell:
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Options
    I want to stay fairly healthy while on this trip, and was wondering if any one had tips on eating healthy and staying hydrated while camping.

She's clearly stating that she wants to remain healthy on this trip, and a lot of you are giving her advice like a fat non-health-conscious "friend" would do. Your advice isn't conducive to her wanting to remain healthy, as this is her lifestyle change and not a temporary means to an end. Telling her to blow it off because it occurs once a year belittles it to a diet status, not a permanent lifestyle change. Sure, we're all going to slip, so to speak, but to go in intending to slip is asinine and counter productive.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I want to stay fairly healthy while on this trip, and was wondering if any one had tips on eating healthy and staying hydrated while camping.

She's clearly stating that she wants to remain healthy on this trip, and a lot of you are giving her advice like a fat non-health-conscious "friend" would do. Your advice isn't conducive to her wanting to remain healthy, as this is her lifestyle change and not a temporary means to an end. Telling her to blow it off because it occurs once a year belittles it to a diet status, not a permanent lifestyle change. Sure, we're all going to slip, so to speak, but to go in intending to slip is asinine and counter productive.

Yes ma'am.

Drink plenty of water and make wise food choices. Don't over indulge on food or booze. It's a pretty simple answer. Most of us realize that you can let loose every once in a while (ahem, like vacations) and still be totally successful with our health and fitness.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Floating down a river on an innertube sounds AMAZING. I'd bring a bunch of 6-packs held together with those fish killing things and tie them to the tube and ... well, you know :drinker:

I'd enjoy myself personally because weight loss isn't a daily thing, it's weekly or more. So I'd do what I want but log it and then plan the next week accordingly. Don't forget the 5k is going to put you in a huge deficit even before the weekend starts.

So the "relax and enjoy your trip" advice above isn't bad. With some calculating you would find out that in a week you didn't really do any damage.

OMG River trips are sweet. I wish my family / group of friends had a cool yearly thing we do like that :sad:
  • CoolDad67
    CoolDad67 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an amazing vacation plan!!

When I go camping, I have gotten in the habit of only bringing water for drinks. I also, maybe, bring some single serving "add ins" to add flavor if I want.

If I want beer; then I just don't overindulge and drink light beer.

For food and snacks, just keep them on the healthy side. I like dried fruit & nut trail mixes. Fresh fruits and veggis can handle getting wet easily. I try not to over do it on food when out; but, I usually double-bag my sandwiches with freezer zip-locks if I'm going to be on the water.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Did not read all the comments so I apologize if I duplicate anything. Vodka is a low calorie alcohol, I mix mine with diet 7up and a splash of diet cranberry juice. Delish. Also, eat before and after tubing. I don't know if you plan on grilling, but last time I went camping I brought Cage free organic eggs for breakfasts, and turkey burgers to make for dinner. Everyone made fun of me, but I was the only one who didn't gain weight on that trip :wink:
  • Mikkimeow
    Options
    Did not read all the comments so I apologize if I duplicate anything. Vodka is a low calorie alcohol, I mix mine with diet 7up and a splash of diet cranberry juice. Delish. Also, eat before and after tubing. I don't know if you plan on grilling, but last time I went camping I brought Cage free organic eggs for breakfasts, and turkey burgers to make for dinner. Everyone made fun of me, but I was the only one who didn't gain weight on that trip :wink:

Turkey burgers, why didn't I think of that!?!??! Perfect! And I can bring a skillet and make some eggs. Awesome.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'd keep the eating as light as I could and splurge on the booze. But I'd also be careful with not drinking too much and maybe bring some yummy flavor mixes (crystal light, etc) for my water so I didn't feel like I was missing out.

Bring turkey/beef jerky and nuts/seeds to snack on.

Above all, have a blast!!