Fat Loss, Muscle Gain and the Scale

Options
I always hear that when you do strength training, muscle gain is really going to affect what the scale shows for weight loss. For about six weeks, I just dieted and lost around ten pounds. This past week, I've started light strength training and running. I can tell that I'm already making some changes in how my arms, legs, and core are composed. But is it really possible that those gains have totally negated my fat loss in the numbers? Because the scale is no longer moving at all for me.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    no, it is extremely hard to gain muscle while losing fat. what is happening more than likely is the additional strength training is causing water retention in your muscles. this will subside after a few weeks and you will see the difference on the scale consistent with the amount that you are eating
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    When I have an intense work out which leaves me sore, my weight is always up for the next couple of days. Then it drops and usually below where I was!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    no, it is extremely hard to gain muscle while losing fat. what is happening more than likely is the additional strength training is causing water retention in your muscles. this will subside after a few weeks and you will see the difference on the scale consistent with the amount that you are eating

This!
    You aren't building muscle. It's extremely hard to build muscle and you need to be eating at a surplus.
  • LeafyEdge
    LeafyEdge Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Just to make sure I understand - I'm not gaining that much muscle (I didn't think I'd gain a pound or more of muscle haha), but the number I'm seeing is still being affected by the strength training?
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

Just to make sure I understand - I'm not gaining that much muscle (I didn't think I'd gain a pound or more of muscle haha), but the number I'm seeing is still being affected by the strength training?
    yep, its really common to see this. strength training tears muscle tissue, and this causes water weight gain, which masks fat loss temporarily.

dont fret, you are still making progress
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Absolutely normal - I always show a gain after a good weight workout. Make friends with your measuring tape - the scale will mess with your head, showing a "gain" for every little thing. Start tracking your measurements along the way, much better way to gauge progress. I dropped a full size while my scale didn't move - I laughed at my scale and went out to buy new jeans. :drinker:
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    Can this also happen if you step up your cardio?
  • csy108
    csy108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I have a follow up question for lifters. So I shouldn't be able to gain much muscle mass while in a calorie deficit, which I've been in since April 18th. Yet I've upped my bench from 120 to 160 (5x5) and upped my lat pulldown from 70 to 100 (5x5) in that time. So I'm obviously stronger, but doesn't increased strength = increased muscle mass? Or can my muscle be the same mass, yet stronger?
  • BonworthVonFattyPants
    BonworthVonFattyPants Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Strength gains and muscle size gains (hypertrophy) are distinct from each other - especially with new lifters.