Protein Shakes

Options
Okay so I'm just now starting to drink protein. When are the best times to drink, how many times a day. Also some tasty low cal recipes. Currently drinking natural whey protein. Go! :)

Replies

• MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Im not sure if there is a right time of day, but I always make one when I get home from the gym and sip it as Im getting ready for work. Right now Im using vanilla creme whey isolate (so good) and I mix a scoop of that with 1 tbsp peanut butter (im a peanut butter junkie), a cup of almond milk and sometimes 1/2 a banana. Its sooooo good!!! I could drink that and only that all day
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    ideally you want to get your protein from whole food sources, but if you do drink them, and i do daily, i usually drink one after a workout, or before i go to bed. sometimes ill have one earlier in the day as a smoothie with fresh fruit, spinach, and almond/peanut butter as a meal replacement. whey isolates are the "best" option when it comes to powders. i personally use Dymatize, San, and Bodystrong. all 3 are different versions for different purposes.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I do shakes post-workout and before bed.

I also use my protein to cook with. Sub 1/2 of the flour for protein in baked goods, sub all of the flour for pancakes. You can use flavored or unflavored protein for cooking but be aware that the cooking time will change. When I do my protein pancakes, I cook them at very low heat and they take so long to cook but it's worth it!
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If I lift one day, I'll drink a protein shake the next morning. If I'm uber sore from lifting very hard, I'll drink a second protein shake later the next day. DOMS? More protein the following days.

I use Isopure Perfect Low Carb Dutch Chocolate, one scoop (25g protein, ~2.5g carbs, ~110 calories), throw in a few strawberries & ice cubes into my individual blender cup, fill cup with water, blend in my ninja, then enjoy. I'll also use chunks of frozen banana for a change, and its like a friggin ice cream milk shake; they're that good.

If I'm only doing aerobics then I'm not nearly as worried about my protein intake on the following days. I also typically have a small protein bar (10-15g protein, ~200 calories) late mornings to curb my AM snacking which allows me to hold off until lunch when I actually have time to make something quasi-healthy.

I hope this helps!
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I tend to blend mine with fruit too when I drink them. Personally I prefer to just have a lean cut of chicken or turkey and some veggies though. Shakes do little to fill me up and seem to just turn into extra calories for the day if I'm not careful.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • schmitd3
    schmitd3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As my breakfast. Shakeology chocolate 1/2 to 1 scoop, 1/2 cup almond milk, ICE, 1 Tablespoon PB2(the best powdered peanut butter minus the calorie's and fat) and you can add fruit.. I add blackberry's and blueberries. YUM!!!!
  • Murphy033
    Murphy033 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks! Right now I'm just doing the one drink a day post work out with ice, almond milk, and half a banana. I just really want to finish shedding some lbs before vacation but I want to make sure it's fast loss and not muscle
  • skhuu
    skhuu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My husband drinks his protein shakes immediately post workout, especially lifting. He will occasionally drink one during the day if he hasn't eaten enough protein through his meals.

Personally to me, eating my protein tastes more delicious than drinking it :)
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I drink Isagenix and I used to once in the morning and once at lunch as a meal replacement.
  • Murphy033
    Murphy033 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So it's more so needed after lifting than cardio?
  • Sunny_Sunflower
    Sunny_Sunflower Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I drink Shakeology in the afternoon to replace a meal and cover my proteins, I do Halo Anabolic post workout to recover.