Words of encouragement.. anyone?

Hello everyone!

I am new here and i am hoping this works! i would like to lose 40lbs and i have tried so many different options and nothing has worked. I have tried low calorie, low carb, Weight Watchers.. and back to Calorie count i go! Hoping that i will see results this time. I walk a lot. most days i am able to use my lunch hour and walk 4 to 4.5 miles. I also play tennis at least a couple times per week. has anyone else had weight loss issues that could give me some tips that could help? even if you don't have tips are you going through that same issues as i am? I don't wish this on anyone but it will help to know i am not alone..

Replies

• sarabear0000
    sarabear0000 Posts: 2 Member
    Best of luck! Might I recommend a heart rate monitor? You could use it when you play tennis or walk and that can give you a good idea of how many calories you're actually burning during those activities. And I'm sure if you've been through Weight Watchers and everything you know you need at least around 1200 calories a day or else your body will try to conserve those fat stores. Here's hoping it works for you this time around!
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    If you walk a lot that may be getting too easy for your body and not burning a lot of calories. Are you logging your food? I believe in moderation and habits that you can sustain. Things like Weight Watchers and low carb can be useful tools but I have seen many friends have trouble sticking with those things long term. I believe if you want to have pizza with friends of a candy bar you should be able to, just not everyday. If you find healthier foods you like and learn to modify recipes that aren't as healthy it is more likely you will be see results and be able to stick to it. Maybe you are ready to try different exercises? Constantly challenging your body will help you burn calories. Without seeing your food log, your settings, and your current weight it's hard to be more specific. Keep trying you will get there.
  • Hi,

I'm in the same situation, tried everything under the sun and starting back on calorie counting and upping my exercise. But I'm going to try and eat more raw vegetables and fruit whether that be in salads or juiced and see if that helps. I've also been told that trying to live a more paleo life style (even if it's just for partial) can help to cut out what your body doesn't need and helps you feed your body in a way that the body is built to process (I'm still researching as I've also been told that veganism could lead to the same benefits - not sure myself yet and think that might be a bit extreme for me, baby steps first!! lol)

:smile:
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    I've lost and kept off ~35 pounds for a little over two years, and for me the key is everything in moderation (nothing is off limits). Overestimate calories IN and underestimate calories OUT. Make only those adjustments you can maintain forever, so you can KEEP it off. If potatoes or pasta are food favorites, then low carb is not for you! There are no cheat days...plan for treats and special nights out by banking earned calories throughout the week, and always earn calories BEFORE spending them. Always ask "is it worth it?" Ask for a "To Go" box and pack up your "leftovers" before you start eating leaving on your plate only the appropriate portion you've already accounted for.

Keep doing what you know will work even if the scale doesn't always show it. I had weeks where I'd lose a pound or two, then weeks where I lost nothing or even showed a gain, but in the end, it all worked. I lost more than I ever expected, and now I'm sporting my "whole new me" wardrobe, and I refuse to give it up!
  • breakonthrough65
    breakonthrough65 Posts: 19 Member
    Can you expand on "nothing has worked"? When on WW did you stay within your allotted points the entire time? Ditto for calorie counting? Having more info could help in figuring out where to focus. Best of luck.
  • JennyCallanan
    JennyCallanan Posts: 44 Member
    When on WW i stayed within my points. and i did my exercise ( tennis, walking and sometimes P90X)
  • JennyCallanan
    Thanks everyone! It could be that i am burning too many calories.. Never really thought of that. Everyone has awesome ideas to share! Please keep them coming!! its very motivating!
  • Jburch1982
    Jburch1982 Posts: 17
    You will do great if you stick with it. I lost 81 pounds and kept it off until I started focusing on building muscle. The big thing is to burn fat you need to build muscle. You can follow me on Facebook. Jason's Zija Lifestyle group. You will find people's success stories, including mine and healthy recipes. You will also find great encouragement.
  • Have you talked to a dr. about thyroid or any similar possible issues? My wife ended up having a thyroid issue and her weight has been more manageable since.
  • sassyrayofsunshine
    sassyrayofsunshine Posts: 499 Member
    Attempted to stalk your diary. It's closed. Perhaps, you're not eating enough. Google TDEE - 20%
  • mahopper2008
    mahopper2008 Posts: 22 Member
    Have you had blood work done to test for medical issues that could keep you from losing like thyroid? Are you on any medications that could cause weight gain? Otherwise, it is simple math of using more calories than you consume. But it is not always as simple as that in real life. I am just getting started too. Wish you the best of luck.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    You can do this!!! Weigh food instead of measuring may help. And if you can speak while you walk it is time to pick up the pace.
  • anitajeannie
    anitajeannie Posts: 1 Member
    I feel your pain, I am a vegan and everyone says you are suppose to be skinny but I feel I still need to lose 30 or 40 pounds as well. I am trying the elimination diet recommended by my homeopathic doctor. If you are sensitive or allergic to something it may be why the fat is resistant to coming off. I am hoping that is the case with me. So far (2 weeks) I have not lost a pound not sure what's up with that, but I feel better. My waistline looks smaller. Losing the bloat feeling all the time which is a good thing.
  • breakonthrough65
    breakonthrough65 Posts: 19 Member
    Have you talked to a dr. about thyroid or any similar possible issues? My wife ended up having a thyroid issue and her weight has been more manageable since.

Concur with this, and actually was going to mention it but wanted to learn a little more first. If you did everything to a t with WW and saw no changes then you may want to look at getting some blood work done at your doc's office to check the thyroid as well as other things.
  • JennyCallanan
    I had my thyroid checked a couple of weeks ago and it is normal. I can open my diary but i have only been logging my food on this for a couple of days. I will start to weight my food to see how that works out! Haven't tried speaking while i walk..( i am a loner when it comes to walking) lol I rather walk alone and walk fast and not talk. I will give that a try and see how i do!
  • JennyCallanan
    Hope everyone had a great weekend! happy Monday!