Protein Powder

Options
So I went Protein Powder shopping yesterday, read the labels. Wow some are loaded with sugar, some have stuff I cant pronounce don't want anything loaded with fillers ( wheat, soy) and a Chiropractor friend of mine says don't eat Whey. I always have gotten basic Whey protein, Think it's time for a upgrade. What do you guys use and from where? Thanks......

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I think that chiropractors should stick to crackin' bones and stay away from giving nutritional advice, myself. That said I use a whey protein powder that I get from VitaminShoppe. It's likely not the BEST on the market but it's also likely not the worst and I'm OK with that. I use Designer Whey, I prefer French Vanilla and Gourmet Chocolate flavors. It helps mer each my protein goal and that's all I want and need it to do.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Question, do you avoid ALL dairy products, since your chiropractor friend says don't eat whey?
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why some people avoid whey. Unless you actually have an issue with lactose I don't see the problem.

The BodyTech protein at the Vitamin Shoppe is good. Right now I am using the BodyTech and the peanut butter Protizyme (expensive, but oh so delicious).

If you insist on having one that is not whey you could try SunWarrior or Jay Robb's Egg White protein. Plant based proteins tend to be much more expensive with less absorption, and they usually don't taste as good, or mix as well.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    No the Chiro is the leader of a Paleo Lifestyle group here in K.C. They don't eat Whey, I cant speak to all Paleo people I just know here they don't. As far as milk goes I like Almond Milk. I like the taste of it and just like it so I use it.

Question, do you avoid ALL dairy products, since your chiropractor friend says don't eat whey?
  • kikstand
    kikstand Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So I went Protein Powder shopping yesterday, read the labels. Wow some are loaded with sugar, some have stuff I cant pronounce don't want anything loaded with fillers ( wheat, soy) and a Chiropractor friend of mine says don't eat Whey. I always have gotten basic Whey protein, Think it's time for a upgrade. What do you guys use and from where? Thanks......
    I have used several different whey isolate powders including The Vitamin Shoppe's Body Tech vanilla which was and is my favorite of the whey. I am currently on my second jug of Carnivor beef protein from Muscle Meds. A friend told me it was better for him due to stomach issues with the whey proteins. I have no history of stomach issues that I attribute to whey, but tried it anyway (no pun). The chocolate is very tasty and I was told by an employee at The Vitamin Shoppe that the other flavors were nasty. But after trying the fruit punch, I was surprised and it mixes taste-wise better with a lot of the power smoothies I make. Most supplement stores have one-serving sample packs that can be purchased so that you don't end up with a 50 dollar tub of something you don't like. Good luck in your search!
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thank You.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Wal-Mart sells crap.

Buy Optimum Nutrition Gold (tastes watery to me), Myofusion Elite (thick like a milkshake) , Cellucor, or Dymatize. All sold at GNC, Amazon.com and at their respective websites.
  • JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold, it taste great, mixes perfectly, very clean, every flavor I've had has been very good. I even use it to make pancakes muffins etc. its awesome.
    I would say try the 2lb containers first so you try the flavors. I avoid places like GNC/Vitamin Shoppe unless i'm in a bind because of the markup, but you can find these and other on ebay a lot cheaper, just verify expriation and mfq date etc.