most of your micronutrition comes from carb sources

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
Just keep that in mind you people who restrict carbs. It's pretty easy to still get what you need, but the more you restrict carbs, the more limited your food choices have to be in order to meet micronutrition goals from food alone.

Replies

• _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    stir.gif
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    stir.gif

This^

Although the lack of movement in his upper body creeps me out a little.
  • _John_
    Options
    stir.gif

This^

his left boob jiggles a bit in the repeat as well...truly disturbing.
  • kevinearthsoul
    kevinearthsoul Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just keep that in mind you people who restrict carbs. It's pretty easy to still get what you need, but the more you restrict carbs, the more limited your food choices have to be in order to meet micronutrition goals from food alone.

This is only partially true. The heaviest glycemic LOAD foods are carb sources that are relatively sparse on micronutrients. Grains, starchy vegetables, dairy, and legumes are all high in carbs, but not very nutritionally dense, when compared to above-ground veggies and low-glycemic fruits.

Even whole grains, while much better than partialized (white) grains, are no match for an equivalent amount of above-ground veggies in the nutrition department.
  • _John_
    Options

This is only partially true. The heaviest glycemic LOAD foods are carb sources that are relatively sparse on micronutrients. Grains, starchy vegetables, dairy, and legumes are all high in carbs, but not very nutritionally dense, when compared to above-ground veggies and low-glycemic fruits.

Even whole grains, while much better than partialized (white) grains, are no match for an equivalent amount of above-ground veggies in the nutrition department.

I'd lump most all vegetables as "carb" sources. But yeah, what you mentioned on specific vegetable types and overall micronutrition content is accurate. Though in a few specific nutrients certain legumes can be good sources.

But to illustrate my point, the starchy vegetables have decent nutrition when fit into the overall diet, even though they may have more calories/nutrient.

Also, some fruits are quite low in micronutrion (particularly apples, bananas and grapes), and ALL fruits are lower than more nutrient dense veggies.

Doesn't negate them being "healthy" just something to consider.
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    stir.gif

This^

his left boob jiggles a bit in the repeat as well...truly disturbing.
    Oh my goodness :laugh:
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Milk, the only food so nutritionally complete that you can survive on it and it alone for months on end, makes your not nutritionally dense list...
  • _John_
    Options

Milk, the only food so nutritionally complete that you can survive on it and it alone for months on end, makes your not nutritionally dense list...

pfft....pizza.