Why I had to Do this or Die, and Exercise Suggestions

Options
First, let me start off with the fact that I have never in my entire life been introduced to a healthy lifestyle or a healthy diet. Despite this in my younger years I stayed pretty active and didn't have much of a weight problem, 20 pounds overweight at most. The skinniest I've been was around 170 lb on my amazonion almost 5'10 frame, and I felt and looked GOOD.
Now, 2 and a half years later I've gained about 70 or 80 pounds (scared to step on a scale to find out) but I estimate that I'm about 250ish. I've battled depression and an insane alcoholism for 2 years. Who knew a shot of alcohol had SO many calories?! Well, my waistline found out.
I've rid my life of all the B.S. that was causing me to be depressed. I stepped up and made my life better for me, and I made the decision that I was going to commit to a healthier lifestyle to be the person I was before, HEALTHY AND HAPPY!
On Monday, June the 2nd I quit drinking. Most people will read that and think, "Wow a whole two weeks" insert *eyeroll* :) But, for a person who drank every single day after work and consistently went to work the next day with a hangover, feeling like ****, and drank again as soon as I got off and went home, it's a HUGE step. Cold turkey. And I'm proud. I didn't just quit drinking though, I coupled it with eating right, under 1500 calories every day and I started cooking at home, where as before I ate fast food for breakfast lunch and dinner.
I'm no dietician, but the weight should start to fall off!
My typical day before June 2nd:
*Wake Up With Hangover, Stumble to get dressed*
Breakfast: DOUBLE CROISSAN'WICH™ Meal 880 Calories!
Lunch: Arby's Market Fresh Turkey Bacon and Ranch with fries 1300 CALORIES
Dinner: Around 600 to 1,000 calories at various places or home made greasy burgers or something to that effect.
So put together on my worst days the total would be around : 3,180 Calories in a day... over DOUBLE what I should be eating especially since I work a desk job and my knee is currently out of commison from a bowling accident.
I've gotten my eating under control! AND my alcohol abuse!
Now it's time to figure out what kind of exercises I can do with bad knees! Ever since I was 14 and suffered my first knee injury I couldn't do squats or lunge like exercises anymore. My knee will heal with time which will make running a possibility. I was thinking of trying the ab lounge, just for cardio purposes because I know that spot training isn't real I can't get abs from just using an ab lounge. Don't really want them anyway. I just want my life back I want to be healthy.
Thanks for reading all of this babble. If anyone has a suggestion as to what I can do for exercise I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm feeling much better already but I know exercise added to my diet would kick *kitten*!

Replies

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Holy cow! I'm completely impressed. Cold turkey?! Wow. That's some serious determination.

For exercise with bad knees, what about finding a pleasant place (park or whatever) and just go for a walk? It's great for knees and it always makes me feel really good about myself being outside with the birds and trees. It doesn't feel like exercise to me, but it is!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For the record I did not eye roll, I thought "wow!".

As for exercise, swimming is usually good. Ellipticals are easier on the knees than actual running. If you have seen a Dr. about the knee I would ask them though.

Don't be afraid of the scale. All it does is pop out a number and that only has as much meaning as YOU give to it. It can be important in measuring your progress and ensuring your plan is actually working the way you want it to (there is definitely a learning curve to weight loss). Just use your weight as one of the tools for tracking progress (pictures and measurments are other good ones) and define yourself by how you feel, not your weight.

~Best Wishes
  • jinxiemay
    jinxiemay Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks so much for the lack of eyeroll and support. Where I live I have a lot of opportunity to swim, and I bet canoeing could count as exercise also, huh? I may buy an elliptical I figured it would hurt just as bad as hard pavement running but I haven't tried it so I don't know.
    I'm focused on my eating, how do you guys plan your exercise? Morning, night? And how do you stick to your guns on it? I work 40 hrs a week and go to university but I know I can make the time just don't know when is best
  • jinxiemay
    Options
    43 lb lost Congrats also! :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am sure canoeing is great exercise. Elliptical is not as bad a hard pavement, your feet are on pedal like things so it mimics running but its sorta like riding a bike where you dont have much impact. So I dont know if impact is your problem? If so then elliptical might work for you, but if it is actually the moving and bending of the joint that is a problem then it might not? When I first started running and was getting bad shin splints from being on the hard pavement all the time I used the elliptical to cross train and build up fitness without the impact and it worked well for that.
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making such a huge change in your life. That is the first and hardest step. I bet you feel better already!

As for exercise, I would suggest rowing if you have access to an indoor rower. It is one of the best workouts and it is no impact so your knees will thank you. I would also be willing to bet that if you are able to strengthen your legs, your knees won't bother you as much, though check with a doctor first.

Stick with it!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Holy cow! I'm completely impressed. Cold turkey?! Wow. That's some serious determination.

For exercise with bad knees, what about finding a pleasant place (park or whatever) and just go for a walk? It's great for knees and it always makes me feel really good about myself being outside with the birds and trees. It doesn't feel like exercise to me, but it is!

That is so true. Did 10.17 miles this morning and I am feeling on top of the world
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the lack of eyeroll and support. Where I live I have a lot of opportunity to swim, and I bet canoeing could count as exercise also, huh? I may buy an elliptical I figured it would hurt just as bad as hard pavement running but I haven't tried it so I don't know.
    I'm focused on my eating, how do you guys plan your exercise? Morning, night? And how do you stick to your guns on it? I work 40 hrs a week and go to university but I know I can make the time just don't know when is best

How about water aerobics and any other exercise you an do in the pool.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have horrible knees due to severe osteoarthritis. Swimming is no-impact. Biking is another good idea, easy on the knees. Walking, kayaking, boxing, cross-training, elliptical, water aerobics. There are plenty of great, fun activities to do that will give you a good calorie burn. Strength training and rehab are important too.

As far as planning exercise? It depends on the day. I have a loose schedule of stuff I have to get in for triathlon training. Swims are frequently early in the morning, as well as anything that needs to happen outdoors because it gets super hot where I live.

Make the time. I frequently walk at lunch, or snag the dog as soon as I get home and walk. Bike rides depend on the weather. What is your schedule like? Do you have a two hour break between any classes where you can squeeze something in? Weekends? "They" say it takes 3 weeks to make a habit...stick to it for three weeks, and see how great you feel.

Major kudos on quitting drinking and turning things around. That is particularly hard in college, IMHO. You can do it though!
  • jinxiemay
    Options
    Water sport/exercise-- YES!

Where can I get an awesome swimsuit? All I have is my itty bitty bikinis from 2 years ago! And I don't want self consciousness to play a role in not getting out there and exercising.

I think I'll buy the elliptical today, I can always sell it if it's too much on my knees!

Strength training... My legs are super strong especially to not be very active anymore but my ligaments and every other part of my body needs work. What kind of weights should I start with and how do I use them?
  • geekishgirl
    geekishgirl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    First of all CONGRATS! You've taken some amazing steps in a very short amount of time and you should be extremely proud of yourself for that!

Second, I buy my swimsuits from sporting good stores. Where I live we have Big 5 which is on the less expensive end. I like buying the one piece racing suits because I feel that they hold my slightly larger body in a little better. Anyways, I would suggest sporting good stores in your area, especially if you want a one piece.

Third, I too have knee problems. I've had surgery and still have some problems with it. For me (and I do know everyone is different) an elliptical is AMAZING! My orthopedist actually recommended it because there isn't any impact. It's pure rotation. If this is something you're having trouble with I wouldn't recommend trying it but if rotation is ok and impact is the issue, ellipticals are great! So is swimming, rowing, etc. Really anything that you can do that gets your heart pumping is going to be good for you.

Good luck on your journey! You've done the hardest part already. Remind yourself of that any time you feel discouraged.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your positive steps!

I've had on-again, off-again knee problems for years. If you have a bike, cycling is a great exercise. It's low impact on the knees but it helps strengthen many of the muscles around them (though you should do other strengthening exercises, since cycling alone can leave some muscles underdeveloped). When the weather is nice, it's far more fun to bike outdoors than to be stuck in a gym. When the weather is bad, I think it's still more fun to bike outdoors in a good rain jacket than to be stuck in a gym....

Swimming is also great, and even lower impact. Sporting goods stores are a good place to go for the kind of suit you actually swim in, vs. the kind that people wear to lounge in. You can also buy online if you take accurate measurements, and Tyr (tyr.com) allows returns for exchange if the size isn't quite right.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    As for exercise, swimming is usually good. Ellipticals are easier on the knees than actual running. If you have seen a Dr. about the knee I would ask them though.

This ^^ Check with your doctor for safe exercises. But swimming or water aerobics may be a good option while you heal. A set of dumbbells or resistance bands would allow you to work your arms without using your legs at all.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else I highly reccomend walking and swimming, or any exercise performed in water. WHen the weights starts dropping your knees will start to feel stronger. COngratulations for taking on this endeavor! Takeit minute by minute, hour by hour, and day by day. You will get there! :)
  • hollykirsten
    hollykirsten Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You are amazing! Way to go with all your hard work that you have already accomplished! To quit drinking like that is SUPER hard! So congratulations on taking the hardest step on this journey! I would definatly say water is the way to go with your knee. It is fantastic exercise and since you are in the water you don't feel like your sweating even though you are! They are also coming out with some SUPER cute vintage swim suits right now. They have the one pieces that come down like a tight skit and stop right below your butt that are just adorable! Also if you have a Ross store they usually have racing suits (sometimes you can find nike brand ones) for cheap! Good luck and stick with it! :D
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Wow! My first reaction to see that you confronted your drinking and weight issues all at once was "Hot Darn! This one didn't just dabble her toes in the pool, she cannonballed in! AWESOME!!!!!"

Keep up the good work, don't be afraid of the scale, whatever that number is, just say "hey that's the starting point, and I'm going to aim to not see that number again" Sometimes that number is better for the end of your weightloss, so you're looking at how far you've come. At one point I got so obsessed with the number I was told by a doctor to stop looking at the scale. I know what the starting number is, now the only time I get weighed is when I go to the doctor (which between the doc for the asthma and the endocrinologist, means I get weighed about once every two months, sometimes more than once in a month if I have other appointments in between or they both happen to fall in the same month.) The rest of the time it's all down to can I button up my pants today? (actually since I appear to be at a weird in between size, right now it's all about which notch I use on my belt.)

As for exercise, I too have crappy knees too (chondromalacia patella and early stage arthritis, including a bone spur), I would suggest trying a couple things to see what may or may not hurt your knees. I've had to modifiy my combat classes and can only do upper body during pump (I do exercises given to me by my physical therapist during the squat and lunge tracks since they are both on the no-no list), I"ve had to modify athletic conditioning since some of the cardio moved have been banned by the doc ( no burpees, no pop squats, no jumping jacks), I know some people suggested bike riding, be careful with this, I was given a restraining order by my ortho doc for RPM and had to hand over my biking shoes because the biking is making one of my knees worse, so you may try it and find it doesn't work for you. If you have access to a pool that you can swim, go for it, I would if I did (check online for swimsuits, you can probably find some good one piece suits either at sporting goods store websites or sites like Land's End and they might even be starting to go on sale since it's technically the "end" of the summer retail season), steer clear of running until you've built up some strength in your knees, running can make it worse, walking is good though. If you're a member of a gym talk to one of the trainers there, they may have some good ideas of things you can do to help strengthen the muscles around your knees and can suggest modifications for certain moves if you're into taking group fitness classes but there are certain things you know your knees can't take. Check online for knee strengthening exercises, you can probably find a bunch of exercises that you can print out and work on too.

Best of luck and congrats on your new beginning!!!!!!!!!
  • jinxiemay
    Options
    Thank all of you guys so much! I've bought some weights today to work on my arms and I'm going to do swimming for light cardio :)
    I appreciate all the kind words! I'm definitely trying hard!!
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    how do you guys plan your exercise? Morning, night? And how do you stick to your guns on it? I work 40 hrs a week and go to university but I know I can make the time just don't know when is best

When I first started I just started by attending 1 zumba class....and I was hooked! From there I went to 2 zumba classes a week, and added a day of yoga. Now I'm getting ready to add to that and included 3 days a week doing a home work out video..and also starting to use the weight machines...I guess what worked for me the best is that I did it gradually, so while I was sore I wasn't can't walk down the stairs sore. I really enjoy how I feel after a good work out, which has helped me stay motivated...although as of late I have been making excuses and generally begging off (but tonight is my first scheduled day back!! :smile: )...I actually write out my workout schedule for the week on the calender and i get a big smiley face for completed ones, and a big red X for missed ones....putting it on paper and hanging it on my fridge where its a constant reminder really helped me to get moving! As far as morning or nights....its really up to you! I refuse to get up at 4 am to work out and be to work by 6...so I prefer evening....but that at times comes with drawbacks (I get that exercise energy high that sometimes makes it hard to sleep). Where ever you can find the time to move...take it!! Good luck, and congrats on all the changes you have made so far!!!