Moms: anyone lost weight after weaning (from breastfeeding)

Options
I am not going to wean any time soon since my baby is only 2 and 1/2 months old. I just want some kind of hope. Has anyone had a substantial weight loss after weaning? I don't mean "those last 5 lbs". Anyone lose a significant amount after weaning?

Breastfeeding just adds such a huge complication to weight loss for me. I am absolutely not one of those women who lose weight easily while breastfeeding. Whatever it is; hormones, body type, insatiable hunger etc. breastfeeding just makes me fat and painfully hungry. This is my 3rd baby, 3rd time breastfeeding. First baby I got pregnant before I weaned him. Second baby I did lose a lot of weight after she weaned but it also coincided with me starting Wellbutrin and I'm positive it was the medication that made me lose weight, so I don't know what my body will do after weaning this time with no meds and no pregnancy.

I'm feeling depressed and angry about this. Restricting calories compromises my milk supply, so it's like I am trapped. Seems like the only way I can lose weight is by losing milk supply too.

Replies

• maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I had a very hard time losing any of the weight until I started weaning, both times I breastfed. This time around I continued to comfort feed for a lot longer and still managed to lose the weight but I would say the actual amount of milk I was producing was next to nothing, and it seemed the less milk I made the more I was able to lose the weight. Now fully weaned for over a month the lbs kind of just dropped off at random intervals not really changing much just keeping going exercising and eating at a slight deficit.
    I think for me at least hormones and energy played a huge part in stress weight retention and my body didn't want to let go of the fat until I WASN'T supporting another human being with my body. While feeding exclusively I concentrated solely on working out slowly and gaining strength, more like body re-comp than weight loss. I drank lots of water and I fed my body for me and my babes and I'm sure yea stayed a bit bigger than I wanted for a bit longer than I would have liked.
  • pink_mint
    pink_mint Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you, that's encouraging to hear!

I wonder if I should even bother trying to lose weight right now. Breastfeeding kind of messes with my head because it's always a game of wondering how many calories I'm really burning, wondering whether to ignore or give in to hunger, wondering about supply, seeing the number on the scale go up some days and down others with no apparent relation to what I'm eating and activity level. I think for some of us our bodies simply won't let go of the fat it thinks it needs to make milk for baby.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I would recommend especially so early on with no solids already in your little ones diet to concentrate on eating at maintenance, maybe 200-300 calories more especially during growth spurts, drink 10-12 cups of water a day and make sure to get a good balance of carbs, fats and proteins from healthy sources. There are a lot of studies out there that specify that milk supply has a lot more to do with fluid intake and nutrients than how many calories you eat a day (and either way you want your milk to be as nutritious as possible). If you lose weight because you are burning a little more than you take in great, if not, work on gaining strength or endurance and reshaping your body at the same weight.

As far as the scale goes don't even bother, your water retention and hormones while breastfeeding simply play games with it especially if you are trying to weigh daily.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I lost weight in just my boobs alone :ohwell:

After both of my girls, I dropped the weight without effort. I think one of the main reasons for this was watching my nutrients and avoiding junk for the baby and eating the same quantities as pre-pregnancy (for me this is just what I naturally did, in hindsight I can see) . If you ate healthy (not clean, just moderation...healthy and junk) before pregnancy, have a healthy milk supply and he this is jalthy baby....then eat like that and the breast feeding should then cause about a 500 calorie deficient as well as what ever the increase of TDEE you have had from the extra weight.

If this hurts milk supply or the baby demands more, then just have some nutrient dense extras.
  • jussy123
    jussy123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your little one!

I don't normally comment, but I wanted to add my story. I gained weight while nursing! (Both times) I absolutely loved nursing, but I had an insatiable appetite while doing so. The first, I stopped after 6 months, the second, I stopped after 8 or 9 months.

As soon as I stopped, the weight came off without stressing about it, as I no longer had this crazy appetite. And I actually just consciously changed over to more healthy options (more lean protein, veggies, fruit, less sugary empty carbs, and I started running) I only started counting calories when I got to a weight I was comfortable with maintaining.

My stats: 5'8" (155 before each pregnancy, gained 15 lb with first preg, 17 lb with second preg - I lost all the weight in 2 weeks after giving birth, but gained about 10 pounds during my nursing each ). I am now down to around 130-132, and have maintained for over a year now.

My advice - and take it for what it's worth - don't try to actively lose weight right now. Just focus on eating healthy, and go for walks with your little one, to get out and enjoy the day. After you're done nursing, then you can start focusing on counting calories etc. For me, I am so glad I did that, because it would have driven me crazy since I was so insatiably hungry and tired all the time.

And overall, don't get discouraged if you don't lose automatically while nursing. Some people do, but others, like myself, gained, and now I have a 4 year old and 2 year old and am more fit and thin than I was pre-pregnancy!

Good luck!
  • pink_mint
    pink_mint Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you shared, jussy. Thank you!
  • revmatched_itr
    revmatched_itr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mom, but my gf has been nursing our kids for a long time (natural weening).. I wouldn't worry about the weight while you are breastfeeding. Your body will do what it needs to do to be able to keep producing milk. You will need to eat more to make milk and that is more important that trying to lose the weight while nursing. Eat healthy and it will be "good" weight. Eat McDonalds every day and that will probably not come off easily once you stop. So just eat healthy, feed your baby, don't worry about the weight and once your baby stops nursing then go from there.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I did! I lost all my weight after weaning as i could plan on different kind of food, my diet and exercises. I was too scared to eat at deficit while breastfeeding as i did not want to reduce the milk supply as it was getting lesser anyway.
  • Joannajill
    Options
    I can't comment on what happened after weaning yet, because I am just on the brink of having my first weaned baby, but I really believe the theory of the body clinging desperately onto some extra fat during breastfeeding. I am not sure exactly what it has to do with, but when I stopped taking the pill about three years ago, I went from exercising regularly and limiting calories and not being able to lose A THING, to dropping 18 lbs in 3 months, only from stopping the pill. Assuming this was due to a rise in estrogen (of my OWN estrogen), then I am hoping I will see a similar effect once my estrogen levels rise after weaning. Even though I have been breastfeeding only 2-3 times a day for the past couple months (my baby is almost 11 months old and eats lots of solids), I still haven't had my period after giving birth and am guessing the prolactin (breastfeeding hormones) have tight control over my body's ability to lose. When I was breastfeeding 2-3 times a day even, I could eat quite a lot, and NEVER gained weight. When I was exclusively breastfeeding, I was ravenous, ate and ate and ate, and never GAINED, but was also not able to lose, when I tried exercising and calorie cutting. When I introduced solids at 6 months (and I guess I reduced my breastfeeding) I managed to lose about 8 lbs, but then it plateaud again a couple weeks later.
    I will post more over the next few weeks if anything happens...I really hope I see some weight loss with completely weaning.
  • ehk33
    ehk33 Posts: 33 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I havent read all the replies. But here is my experience. My body hangs on to every last pregnancy ounce while nursing. I'll even gain weight the longer I go. Im too am on my third baby Ive nursed (this one longer than the other two) and I noticed my weight creeping up a couple pounds a month. She is 20 months now (since shes my last we will have, i seem to be hanging on lol) so I have started the weaning process a few weeks ago because I think its time to let my body be mine again. My oldest daughter weaned at 8m old, and within 3 months dropped 20 pounds very quickly after she stopped nursing, and more soon followed . Same thing happened with my son. He weaned at 12 months.

But please if breastfeeding is important to you, dont even worry about the scale. If you drop your calories down to a "losing weight" kind of number, you milk supply will tank. 6 months ago i thought since she was a year old, i could try to diet bc my milk supply was well established. I was dead wrong. After cutting calories down to 1800 a day for a week, i then had to spend the next 3 weeks doing all the "tricks" to pull it back up. Breastfeeding is a beautiful thing, and its really such a short time in theirs and your life. I just finally had to accept being "bigger" during that time and then worry about the weight afterwards. But yes, to answer your original question, as soon as I wean the weight usually starts melting off easily. As long as it was pregnancy weight to begin with. I say just eat healthy and enjoy your little one!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes. I couldn't diet while nursing or it would effect my milk supply (which pretty much sucked anyway). I didn't get back to pre-pregnancy weight with any of my 3 children until after I quit breastfeeding.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I lost weight both while breastfeeding and after weaning.
  • mlpirk
    mlpirk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    After BF and child-led weaning 3 kids myself, I just want to tell you "great job!" And forget about your weight for now. If you feel bad about yourself, do something that makes you feel good - a pedicure, a blow-out, new makeup, maybe a new pair of shoes. Eat to your hunger, drink plenty of water, sleep, and take your youngest for long walks. You probably know this already, but your body is working hard for your baby and you should be kind to yourself now. After my youngest weaned at 18 months, I dropped 10 lbs without trying, and another 10 on here just logging consistently. Don't let it get you down, enjoy this time, it will pass...

I would say to just try to make healthy choices, learn to listen to your hunger cues (don't have to "clean your plate," but eat if you feel hungry), sleep as much as you can, and get walking. When the baby is weaned, you can restrict cals and know you aren't compromising your supply. I feel for you, I just think you should focus on being nice to yourself rather than beating yourself up!
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    For me, I didn't lose weight until I was down to two nursings a day. So I just held on to the weight until each of my kids was nearly a year. I didn't wean at a year, but I could cut back my calories without impact to my milk supply.

With my second one, I was starving and not sleeping!! Lol. I had no self control over what I ate and was way too tired to exercise. It was fine though, After my son turned 11 months I cut back calories and got back into an exercise routine. I've lost 21 lbs in about 3.5 months and am back almost to pre pregnancy weight. My son is almost 15 months.

Good luck and enjoy breastfeeding! It's such a short special time even though it can be a pain in the *kitten*.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I can relate to the painful hunger while breast feeding! Oh I was always starving. I lost ever so little while BFing. After I stopped I really picked up the pace with running and getting back in shape and counting calories and the weight came off easily. Hang in there. It doesn't last forever!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I would recommend especially so early on with no solids already in your little ones diet to concentrate on eating at maintenance, maybe 200-300 calories more especially during growth spurts, drink 10-12 cups of water a day and make sure to get a good balance of carbs, fats and proteins from healthy sources. There are a lot of studies out there that specify that milk supply has a lot more to do with fluid intake and nutrients than how many calories you eat a day (and either way you want your milk to be as nutritious as possible). If you lose weight because you are burning a little more than you take in great, if not, work on gaining strength or endurance and reshaping your body at the same weight.

As far as the scale goes don't even bother, your water retention and hormones while breastfeeding simply play games with it especially if you are trying to weigh daily.

This ^ seriously. I really feel like this idea that immediately following birth that moms should get right on trying to lose weight is unfair to both mom and baby. Take those first few months and get to know your new little one. Learn to be a mom to this kid (each one is different so you have to learn something each time) and find your new normal. Eat at maintenance and worry about losing weight later. I think 6 months at the earliest better a year, but that's just me.

All the weight I've lost (36 lbs total, in 2 different time periods) has been while nursing, but not before the kid was at least 18 months old. You can lose weight while breastfeeding, but it's easier to wait until they aren't depending you you as their sole nutrition source.
  • LCroft411893
    Options
    Hi! I just gave birth in August, and I am trying to lose those last pounds from pregnancy weight. I am definitely comforted to see all the encouraging comments on here, especailly those that say weaning helps, which gives me something to look forward to.

I agree that we shouldn't be looking at the scale all the time, especially right now during breastfeeding, but I know that I have a time limit for getting back into shape. I'm in the military, and I need to be at a certain weight and perform well enough to pass a physical readiness test in about 6 months, or it affects my career. So I'm using this site to track what I'm eating and what I'm doing for working out. I'm not really cutting out calories as much as trying to adjust to healthier choices. I'm taking my doctor's advice and eating to hunger, drinking to thirst. As for the working out, I may not be losing the fat as quickly as I'd like, but I can certainly feel the difference in my body as it gets stronger. I think I'm getting more definition in my arms, too, which is encouraging.

Do what feels right for you, and keep on smiling! Congratulations on your baby!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Sure, but it was 5 years after weaning that I lost the weight.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Meeeee!!!!! I breast fed my 3 children 6 months each time and lost 10lbs after weaning each one my body stored 10lbs of fat to ensure I had enough to get milk supply to feed baby (mine were all hungry)
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    i had my 3rd baby 19 months ago :) I am smaller than my profile pic that's about 2 months old so it can be done ive had 3 big babies too.
    I ate ravenously during breastfeeding and did gain weight not huge amount but some but as soon as my period returned and body settled it fell off and now no more babies for me im getting a nice body back