Personal Trainer - Yay or Nay?

Options
Hi,

One more slightly polarizing topic for all you fitness fans.

I am working out in the gym (strength training) for 3 days a week and do cardio(aerobics) for 3 days.
My gym has given me a nice chart which details which exercises I should do in what order. Also, there are trainers around which let you know if we are doing stuff right or wrong. They also ensure that we do the recommended exercises and weights.

Now, there is this trainer who I was asking for tips and he said that I should opt for personal training. Basically, he will follow me around the entire time and focus on me for the entire hour.

I honestly think I am doing fine on my own and these trainers will help you out regardless.
But, if having a personal trainer will help me lose fast, I won't complain.
The cost is making me think twice, but I would be able to manage.

What are your experiences with personal trainers? Is it a good idea to get one?

Currently, I am leaning towards nay. I will have to do all the work anyways.

Will it be a good idea to have one for a month?

Replies

• GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Most personal trainers are very expensive. In my experience, I'd recommend one only after you already have a good grasp on what exercise you enjoy and will do. A (good) personal trainer can show you how to get the most out of those exercises. Having little to no knowledge can be a bit too open ended for the personal trainer. He/she might try to instruct you how to eat or which basic cardio machines to use. All that stuff could be learned through here.

I have one last session with my personal trainer coming up. It's expensive but he's made me feel more comfortable with weight training in general and has shown me how to improve my form in lifts I've been doing for a while. He was also very upfront about not being a Registered Dietician and warned me to be weary of "bro-science" food advice from most trainers.
  • FauxFoxx
    FauxFoxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'd say give it a shot for a month. Why not?

Although that seems to be a poor business plan for the gym and I would not want to be a trainer there. I get helping someone out on occasion but the gym is just training its customers to take advantage of it and then the trainers lose out on some good revenue. :\
  • hellosay
    hellosay Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Well, there are regular trainers and personal trainers. A few people opt for personal trainers and people like me just ask for help from the regular trainers when we need it. All these trainers are pretty helpful and generally point out if I am doing anything wrong.
    I guess I am not a big fan of someone breathing down my neck the entire time I am at the gym. I rather workout in peace.
  • diva_fitjourney
    diva_fitjourney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nay...I dont like being hounded @the gym by them. They need to socialite else where!!! Just my opinion!!! :)
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have used PT sessions over the years with mixed results. I would never use PT to get me into using the general equipment, the gym induction and trainers on duty are there to do that. Once I have a level of fitness - I would 'buy' 6 sessions and agree some targets with the trainer - areas that I want to work etc.,

Some trainers I have found plain lazy - no creativeness in their workouts/routines just the same old stuff, late for the session, including warm up etc., Surprisingly my best trainer was a young girl - more like a kid. She was just fab - worked and pushed me hard - I saw real results with just one session a week. Over our 6 weeks I looked leaner and changed my overall work out routine. That was 4 years ago and I still do some of those exercises now .... I really miss our sessions! So find someone that works for you - PT sessions are not cheap so make sure that you are getting value for money.
  • sarabeth40
    sarabeth40 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't want to advertise for anyone (and I have only posted on here once so if I am breaking any rules about advertising, oops)...but I used an online trainer....hitchfit.com. they send you a complete meal plan and workout plan and I think it starts around $275 for 12 weeks, which is way cheaper than 12 weeks with a personal trainer. If you don't need the motivation to do the work, this might be a good option for you. You can send me a message if you want more information.
  • Tla0126
    Tla0126 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I hurt my back at the end of last year and have had limitations. My personal trainer has been invaluable.

Even if I didn't have an injury, he'd be a great resource.
  • hellodangergirl
    hellodangergirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you want to get out of it and how good your trainer is. For me, it's 100% yay. I've been seeing the same trainer for a year, and I've made considerable gains is strength and muscle definition (I can now do real push ups! and he fixed a serious muscle imbalance). I also need the structure of regularly scheduled, pre-paid workouts to make sure I actually do them. A good trainer will work with your goals to help you accomplish them, keep you challenged, and make sure you're not hurting yourself.

If all the trainer is going to do is follow you around the gym and monitor your form on the exercises you're already doing, then I would pass. If you're looking to shake things up or have specific concerns (s)he can work on, a few sessions couldn't hurt.