Repetative Calorie Burn Question

Options
I have only been a member of MFP for about a month now and I have seen the question about eating back your exercise calories asked about 1 or 2 times a day. I know that there is a stick post that explains this, but is there anything else that can be done to stop the exact same question being asked over and over?

Maybe when a new person is just starting and filling out there profile, put a disclaimer or something to help brand new people understand the reason exercising gives you more calories to eat.

Replies

• Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I agree, the same should also be done for recipes
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    i think it would be neat if the forums had a search engine. i belong to a group on a different website and before you ask a question you search for it first so you don't see so many of the same things
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    i think it would be neat if the forums had a search engine. i belong to a group on a different website and before you ask a question you search for it first so you don't see so many of the same things

It does. If you look right under the ad you'll see "Message Boards" followed by the posting category and the topic. Underneath that there are options for Home, Recent Posts, My Topics, Signature, and the last one is SEARCH.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I have only been a member of MFP for about a month now and I have seen the question about eating back your exercise calories asked about 1 or 2 times a day. I know that there is a stick post that explains this, but is there anything else that can be done to stop the exact same question being asked over and over?

Maybe when a new person is just starting and filling out there profile, put a disclaimer or something to help brand new people understand the reason exercising gives you more calories to eat.

For real. I am astounded at how many people continue to ask this every single day. It's ridiculous!
  • Nicole114
    Options

There is a search engine under "Message Boards" where it says Home, Recent Posts, My Topics, Signature, SEARCH
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest: wouldn't just common sense/thinking it though answer this question? You need a certain number of calories a day to optimize your weight loss goals. If you exercise, you burn more calories, so that number goes up. Easy, right?
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest: wouldn't just common sense/thinking it though answer this question? You need a certain number of calories a day to optimize your weight loss goals. If you exercise, you burn more calories, so that number goes up. Easy, right?

Yes, quite easy........for me and for some. But, apparently not for everyone when the question is repeatedly asked.
  • bowserette
    bowserette Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When you think about it, yes, it is logical. But when I started, I was among those who were confused. When I had used other websites, they only counted the calories eaten, not the calories burned. So I believed that was what the calorie goal meant. Other members may be coming from similar websites.

It's just a different way of thinking about it. I believe it is the correct way, now, but it can be very confusing at first!
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    When you think about it, yes, it is logical. But when I started, I was among those who were confused. When I had used other websites, they only counted the calories eaten, not the calories burned. So I believed that was what the calorie goal meant. Other members may be coming from similar websites.

It's just a different way of thinking about it. I believe it is the correct way, now, but it can be very confusing at first!

I am not questioning why people are confused. (I was one of them too) I am wondering if there is something that can be done to help with the confusion. Like a disclaimer while people start their profiles.